Looking to purchase either a 1911 or Revolver. Advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I think everyone should own at least 1 revolver. I have a Ruger GP100 and love it. Nothing like startling people at the range with a hot .357 load.

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Start small. Have you held a 1911? Good lord that thing is soooo heavy and only has 7-8 round mags. Try a plastic gun. I cant believe I carried the 1911 for so long.

I just made the mistake of running to the local gun shop and handling a few of the "nicer" 1911's. The Dan Wesson was incredible and felt great as well as the Kimber, but at $1,500, it's a little out of my price range. I can see saving longer and going with something in the $900 range, but can't go higher than that. I held a smaller Colt for about $900 that felt VERY, VERY nice. I think it was a Defender. It was very light, but solid. I could easily see carrying that instead of my H&K USP C.

At this point, that is the front runner, but I also liked the larger Commander and the XSE Gov Enhanced Comp. just not to carry.

I do like the RIA quite a bit, but it seemed much heavier than the Dan Wesson or the Colt.

Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    I currently have a Rock Island 1911 and a S&W 686 6" in my arsenal. I wanted a 1911 and the Rock Island was in my price range. I like it and have a great time at the range with it. I use my S&W 686 to shoot on a league. It is extremely accurate and enjoy using either 357 or 38 with it. Good luck on your choice.

NDgolfer13

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Avon
    I would get a 1911 of some sort but thats my latest kick. They are a lot of fun to shoot and you can do a lot of customization to them. Good luck.

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks everyone, while I am now in the market for a 1911, I am presented with the tough decision to decide which one. I seem to have it narrowed down to either a Colt or a Kimber, although the particular model has yet to be determined. When I think I find one I like, I see one that I like more. Will it ever end? There are just so many options. Geez, I took two weeks to decide which color iPad to go with and there was only ONE other option. ;) I am kind of liking the Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II.

I could save enough money for a lower cost one faster, (< $500) but the more I learn about the 1911 the more I think I would like to find one that I could also carry comfortably, and I am not sure if any of the lower cost options fit the bill due to their weight. I was told that the RIA, American Classic and High Standard 1911's are all nice guns, but they are too heavy to carry.

gblank

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I love my Ruger SP101. It is a very good feeling/shooting weapon. If you haven't looked into one, you may want to! Ruger makes some awesome toys! I like the fact that I can also shoot two different calibers of ammo. 38 specials are fine to poke holes in paper at the range, then you have the knock down of the more expensive .357 mag. I like the versatility.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I highly recommend the Tracker series revolvers by Taurus--they're ported, which eliminates wrist snapping entirely in my experience, they are incredible fun to shoot, and if you go with a 357, you can shoot the much cheaper 38 special too. Though I understand your dilemma--the RI 45's have a great reputation as well. I don't envy your deliberations!!

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    I have a Rock Island GI and love it! The price was right,and after a break-in of about 200 rds,it has functioned flawlessly with whatever I put through it..my only suggestion would be buy one of the tactical models with the better sights,as the GI-style sights are....less than optimal for decent groups.........another suggestion to get the best of both worlds is the Chiappa or Puma .22 1911,I've heard really good things about them...I know it's on my list to buy

gdkaiser

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Michiana-South Bend
    Since you already have a 45 the Rock Island 1911 tactical is a fairly good deal. if you just want the looks of a 1911 but want to shoot cheaper ammo look at the gsg 1911 (same as sig 1911-22, and about 60.00 less). as for a revolverif you want it for protection a nice lightweight Lcr ruger or the S&w bodyguard would serve you well, but a word of advice find one to try before you buy the snubby's can have a serious bark and bite in 357 if you shoot home defense JHP's in it...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom