• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    How loose is too loose? While priming some range pickup 223 I came across several cases that the primer went in considerably easier than the rest. They went all the way in and are secure but at what point do you toss the brass? Can I pop out the primers and reuse them? If not, how do I dispose of them? Can I just mark the cases, shoot em and toss em afterwards?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'd tap them on the side of your bench a few times and see if the primer works out any. If not, mark ,shoot and dispose of. If they do back out any or if it bothers you enough de-prime ,catch the primer, inspect and re-use.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Thats pretty much what I was thinking. Ill just have to come up with a designated mag that I can just load those little guys into right away. :)

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Even though all cases in a given caliber are SUPPOSED to be made to the same specifications and dimensions there is some variability between individual case dimensions and more between manufacturers and when you throw in that some cases have had crimps removed from primer pockets and perhaps reloaded more than once there is the possibility of some pretty significant differences. Even when working with brand new brass by Remmington and Winchester you can feel some difference in primer seating pressure from case to case. The same goes for neck tension and bullet seating pressure required.

If they don't fall out when you tap on them they are likely OK to shoot but you might not want to store them for a long time.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I insert primers with a hand primer tool so I can feel how they go in and then seat. If one goes in too easy, I use a rod to push it back out. If it comes out, the brass goes into the recycle bucket and the primer gets used on another piece of brass.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Hey guys I don't know about you but I have reloaded 223 for 20 years now and brass takes a beating out of AR's and other autos,

Some of the BLC2 and similar powder seem to beat them up to an extra degree, My policy is to use AR brass out of my standard AR's 3 times, As in I will buy quality once fired brass for a reputable place, Reload it 3 times and then let the brass hit the ground for some range hound to pick up and deal with all the issues that are going on in the brass,

You need to check the interior of the brass for flaws but if your getting loose primer pockets its because the brass is either been overpressure or used by me 3 times,

Random Range 223 is not a good idea without an extensive inspection process,

Check the inside web and if there's any dip/stretch at all give it to a democrat to reload. Also check the headstamp if the headstamp is fading then make sure a democrat gets it.

This 3 time rule does not apply to bolt gun ammo, or brass out of my AR match guns. And beware of what you think a "match" chamber is, in truth Most production guns no matter what the claim do not have a match chamber,

If your shooting around me and I don't pick up my brass then you shouldn't either

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I had a Ruger in 308 that after the fourth loading some of the brass wold let the primers blow out and hang in the action. I dumped the brass till I found out that it was the rifle and not the brass. The brass worked fine in my Remington for another 6 loadings. The primers just backed out on the Ruger and it wasn't every peace of brass that did it. I sold the rifle to a friend that don't reload. So he had no problems with it.

Timelinex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    I think as long as it doesn't pop out easily, your fine. I haven't had to deal with this personally however

Top Bottom