• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    I'm debating on what to buy my son for his first true rifle. Think I'll just start with a .22 and I'm leaning towards the Henry. Does anyone have the length of pull for their guns? They don't list it on the website that I can see.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Which model

Are you needing LOP for the youth model or the full size? Henry is a very well built firearm and can easily be something that you would pass down. The Marlin 39A is a very heavy Lever action and they do not offer a youth model.

Also, due to Marlin being bought out and moved they are concentrating on Bolt guns and finding a Marlin lever gun in any caliber is pretty difficult.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    Are you needing LOP for the youth model or the full size? Henry is a very well built firearm and can easily be something that you would pass down. The Marlin 39A is a very heavy Lever action and they do not offer a youth model.

Also, due to Marlin being bought out and moved they are concentrating on Bolt guns and finding a Marlin lever gun in any caliber is pretty difficult.

They did actually make a mountie 39a which is about the same size as a Henry .22.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I knew that

They did actually make a mountie 39a which is about the same size as a Henry .22.

But as I stated they do not offer a youth model. That model has been out of production for sometime.

I personally would buy any of the older Marlin 39A's but since being bought out their quailty control is lacking.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    By all means buy your son the Henry. Depending on his size you may want to go to the adult size rifle. I own the H0001 and the LOP is 14". Not too sure about the youth model LOP though. If he has the arm length I would recommend the adult size rifle as then he wouldn't 'outgrow' it.

Henrys are terrific rifles. The lever action is incredibly smooth and the accuracy right out of the box is spot on. I made only one adjustment (one notch of elevation) and shoot a constant 2 - 3 inch pattern at 50 yards with the iron sights. The quality of the Henry and the fit and finish is second to none, and if this is a factor with you they are made in America of 100% American materials, hand made one at a time. This is truely a rifle your son can own and pass down the line.

One thing to consider about a lever action over a semi-auto is that your son won't be doing 'mag-dumps' with a lever action rifle. I feel that by using a lever action it slows you down just enough to increase your focus...but that's just me. I also own a Marlin. I've owned it for a couple of decades and it still runs ammo well, but there is NO comparison in quality between it and my Henry. The Henry is also lighter...perhaps a factor for your son.

One other note I would add is that you can pick up the phone and call Henry and ask to speak with Anthony Imperato (owner president and CEO of Henry), and if he's around he will take your call. I've tested that customer service claim twice. He took my call both times. I don't think that would happen with any other manufacturer. There was nothing wrong with my Henry at all, but I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to claims of customer service of that level. He also responds to emails quickly as well.

I know I probably sound like a commercial for Henry, and I don't make it a habit to throw around praise needlessly, but you will not regret buying your son a Henry. Actually, once you've held a Henry and fired one you may find yourself buying one for you. I'll be adding a Golden Boy in .38 spl./.357 mag. to my safe very soon.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I agree

I agree with Gunslinger.

When I bought my Hoo1T model I was hitting a 2" square stell plate at 25 yds right out of the box.

He is also spot on about Anthony Imperato. He does take calls and return emails and runs his company very customer oriented. Mr. imperato is also a member on several forums and will comment if there is something being said about Henry products.

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    I have both a Marlin 39a and a Henry 001 and while the Marlin is built a little better the Henry is by no means junk. It is a well built rifle and shoots extremely well the only people that pick on Henry's are the people that have never had one get your son a Henry and it will be a rifle he will be proud of for years. Get the full sized H001 he will grow into it soon enough

Landon500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Anderson, In
    I think the henry rifle is a gun your son would be proud to own. I liked them so well I bought a .30-30 earlier this year but have not shot it yet. A friend has one just like it that I have shot, they truly are a nice rifle. Hope to own one in every cal. they make.

Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    Wow...started a firestorm didn't I?

I'm going to go with the full size and let him grow into it.

I love Marlins too. They're expensiver and heavier for my kid though. I'd love to own a 39A for the right price, for myself and he can have it later.

Yes, the reason I'm after a lever is so I can only be shot in the butt once before he realizes he screwed up. I have a 10/22 that he shoots well, but for hunting, I want him thinking.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Last edited:

Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    By all means buy your son the Henry. Depending on his size you may want to go to the adult size rifle. I own the H0001 and the LOP is 14". Not too sure about the youth model LOP though. If he has the arm length I would recommend the adult size rifle as then he wouldn't 'outgrow' it.

Henrys are terrific rifles. The lever action is incredibly smooth and the accuracy right out of the box is spot on. I made only one adjustment (one notch of elevation) and shoot a constant 2 - 3 inch pattern at 50 yards with the iron sights. The quality of the Henry and the fit and finish is second to none, and if this is a factor with you they are made in America of 100% American materials, hand made one at a time. This is truely a rifle your son can own and pass down the line.

One thing to consider about a lever action over a semi-auto is that your son won't be doing 'mag-dumps' with a lever action rifle. I feel that by using a lever action it slows you down just enough to increase your focus...but that's just me. I also own a Marlin. I've owned it for a couple of decades and it still runs ammo well, but there is NO comparison in quality between it and my Henry. The Henry is also lighter...perhaps a factor for your son.

One other note I would add is that you can pick up the phone and call Henry and ask to speak with Anthony Imperato (owner president and CEO of Henry), and if he's around he will take your call. I've tested that customer service claim twice. He took my call both times. I don't think that would happen with any other manufacturer. There was nothing wrong with my Henry at all, but I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to claims of customer service of that level. He also responds to emails quickly as well.

I know I probably sound like a commercial for Henry, and I don't make it a habit to throw around praise needlessly, but you will not regret buying your son a Henry. Actually, once you've held a Henry and fired one you may find yourself buying one for you. I'll be adding a Golden Boy in .38 spl./.357 mag. to my safe very soon.

Thank you sir! That is only .5" longer than the 10/22. Longer barrel than mine but I bet he can handle it with a "walking" stick.

MAJB Retired

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Bought two, the H001L (has the large loop lever) and the H001T (longer octogan barrel). I swapped the lever from the H001L onto the H001T so I could use it with heavy gloves. Gave the modified H001L to my son! The Henrys have a very smooth smooth lever action, and as has already been said, accurate right out of the box.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The Henry Mini-Bolt will fit ~6-10 year old kids. I don't know what the LOP is... similar to a Crickett.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    My son and nephew were both purchased Henry lever .22s at the same time. We have been very happy with them and I own both Marlin and Henry. I wouldnt complain about either but the Henry gets my vote first

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    Buy your kid a marlin or other quality firearm. Then he'll have a firearm he'll be proud to pass to his children or grandchildren.

Are you implying that the Henry is NOT a quality firearm? My last Marlin purchase was returned and REPLACED by Marlin because of an incorrectly installed barrel. I never even got to shoot it. Out of the box and Damn, back in the box and off to Marlin. It took almost 2 months before I received the replacement. and in the meantime I could get almost NO information from their customer service. The (new) rifle I received back took quite a bit of fine tuning to shoot reliably.

My Henry Golden Boy on the other hand is beautifully finished and has functioned perfectly since day one. And you can ask anyone, Henry's customer service is one of the best in the business.

I also have a 50s vintage Marlin bolt 22 and would love to have another 39A to replace the one I foolishly sold back in the 80s, but until they get their quality under control I'm steering clear of them.

To the OP, get a Henry, you (and your son) won't be disappointed.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I've been researching this too, and I found that the LOP on the Henry Youth Model is 13", kind of long for a real young kid, but for 10 and over, probably a good length.

Top Bottom