• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Anyone ever lost there only key? I have a 2007 jeep im wondering what the cheapest way is to have one made! Any one have experience with this?

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Anyone ever lost there only key? I have a 2007 jeep im wondering what the cheapest way is to have one made! Any one have experience with this?

Take the registration to a chrysler dealer and get them to give you the key cut code. Goto someplace that has a computer to cut keys. Then take it back to the dealer and have the key programmed.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Plain key or one with a chip?

A dealer should be able to cut one from the VIN as long as it is original. The cheapest way is to get a spare made before you lose your only one.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Take the registration to a chrysler dealer and get them to give you the key cut code. Goto someplace that has a computer to cut keys. Then take it back to the dealer and have the key programmed.

would that require me to drive the car?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It only requires you to drive the car if you have anti theft keys/fobs that prevent the jeep from being driven. But there is hope...

SOME manufacturers give you a grace period for missing anti theft keys. I had a GM that if the anti theft light came on because you used the valet or wallet emergency spare, (or the system failed) you could drive it until you shut it off. It would not restart until a valid key with a transponder was used to start the car.

So in theory you could have the new key cut but not programmed, drive it to the dealer, and they could program it there. Check your manual if it has anti theft keys.

Worst case it will need to be towed to the nearest dealer.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I miss the day of non chipped keys. No idea if my car has a chipped key, the remote is built into the key but I haven't seen a chip in the housing. I could get a new key made I bet to get in, but it is one of those weird cut keys, not like the old days.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Call your local Chrysler/jeep dealer, explain to them what happened. If they are a half decent dealership, they will send a shuttle to pick you up. When you call ask for the parts department.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I miss them too Terrehautian. Mainly for the cheap copies. Our used van only came with one key. I didnt give it much thought till I called the dealer. $250 for a new one PLUS PROGRAMMING. :faint: I could get a non-remote key for ONLY $150 (plus programming) :faint: :faint:

I used to sweat it. And half heartedly looked for a locksmith that could cut a valet key for the instance we locked it in the car.* Then I realized a broken window is cheaper than a locksmith OR a new key. So I takes my chances. Family rule is we dont touch the door lock buttons getting out. We ONLY lock the door with the fob as we walk away. (cant lock it in the car that way)

*FYI Lowes corporate policy is they wont cut valet keys. :xmad:

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I replaced my 06 jeep Liberty key....

The factory one was expensive. The first dealer I spoke to said there was no other option, however I still called around. I found a dealer while out working up in Marion that had "grey" keys. it is a chipped aftermarket key with no fob. They couldn't give it a 100% guarantee but it was 1/2 the cost of the key/fob combo. It did work with no issues.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I miss them too Terrehautian. Mainly for the cheap copies. Our used van only came with one key. I didnt give it much thought till I called the dealer. $250 for a new one PLUS PROGRAMMING. :faint: I could get a non-remote key for ONLY $150 (plus programming) :faint: :faint:

I used to sweat it. And half heartedly looked for a locksmith that could cut a valet key for the instance we locked it in the car.* Then I realized a broken window is cheaper than a locksmith OR a new key. So I takes my chances. Family rule is we dont touch the door lock buttons getting out. We ONLY lock the door with the fob as we walk away. (cant lock it in the car that way)

*FYI Lowes corporate policy is they wont cut valet keys. :xmad:

Just getting the physical key cut as a backup should be no problem and cheap as always (and doesn't require a valet key, the valet key still requires a chip to start the car but the physical cut won't work in the glove box, trunk, etc). That one'll work in the door locks (for those cars that even still have them...) just fine.

Don't ever go to the corporate key cutters. Go to an actual locksmith or old-school hardware store that cuts them by hand. I've had many duplicates unavailable or non-functional from the corporate cutters where a human cutting the key on the old grinder made a working version of the worst worn keys I've seen.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Dealer cut one from my VIN without the car there, just registration needed (GM car). It is a transponder/chipped key. There is a method you have to go through to get the car to recognize the new key but it doesn't involve any whiz-bang dealer work... I did it in my driveway after I got the key cut (may not work on newer model cars or other makes).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I replaced my 06 jeep Liberty key....

The factory one was expensive. The first dealer I spoke to said there was no other option, however I still called around. I found a dealer while out working up in Marion that had "grey" keys. it is a chipped aftermarket key with no fob. They couldn't give it a 100% guarantee but it was 1/2 the cost of the key/fob combo. It did work with no issues.

Bob's Locks on the south side of Indy told us they could make a duplicate key IF we had two keys already. I have no idea why they would need two keys to make a copy, but I wonder if it's something similar to the "grey" keys you're talking about.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bob's Locks on the south side of Indy told us they could make a duplicate key IF we had two keys already. I have no idea why they would need two keys to make a copy, but I wonder if it's something similar to the "grey" keys you're talking about.

I was told the same twice on my Chrysler products over the past 10 years. With some vehicles you can self program a new key with two or more good fobs present. Less than that and it takes a gizmo the dealerships have.

Last edited:

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I was told the same twice on my Chrysler products over the past 10 years. With some vehicles you can self program a new key with two or more good fobs present. Less than that and it takes a gizmo the dealerships have.

Yup. it's part of the self-service programming mode. the RKE & Security module require that you have TWO WORKING keys to add others. This is to help prevent someone from stealing 1 key and adding others. Would require them to steal BOTH keys which is generally much more unlikely.

Programming shouldn't cost more than a half-hour labor. But they'll try to get the full hour from you.
    Will actually only take 10m if the tech has never done it before.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, you CANNOT program the key as in days past. Every Chrysler key since mid-2000's has a unique chip code and the dealer is actually programming the car to accept the new key.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    Get new key and glue it to the back side of the key lock on the steering column so the sensor call still read it. Put a cheap non-chipped key on your keyring. If you lose the cheap one, you pull the chipped one off and copy it.

Top Bottom