• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The GF adopted a GSD mix this summer from GSD Rescue Indy. He was an old dog and nobody wanted him because he was an old dog. She picked him up and brought him home to live out the rest of his days with us, surrounded by loving humans, treats and all the toys he could handle. We knew that him being old and exact age unknown, we wouldn't likely have him for too terribly long, but he deserved a nice home. Yesterday afternoon he started acting funny and wouldn't/couldn't go to the bathroom, nor would he eat or drink. Overnight he was restless and whined a lot. This morning I took him to the vet and left him so they could check him out between scheduled patients. The vet called after 2 hours and said that he deteriorated rapidly and was in dire straights such that his organs were shutting down and he couldn't stand or lift his head. I called-in to work to go sit with him until the GF could get there with the boy after school. I sat there with him for 3 hours until they got there. We all sat, petted and talked sweet to him for the next 60 minutes while the vet helped him pass peacefully into the great beyond. He was old, crotchety and shed like it was his job but he was a good boy and I am happy he was able to have a comfortable life with us as he lived out his final days. Stupid dog.... *sniff* See you on the other side Mack.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm definitely sorry for your loss. It will take a while for you guys to get past this, but you certainly will. Rest in peace, Mack!

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    You are good people. Not many would do what you did and im sure he was as happy as he could be to have you there at the end. It is all anyone can ask for in the final moments that they are surrounded by loving friends.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Sorry to hear that VUPD. What you did by adopting him, knowing that he wouldn't be here long but needed a loving home is selfless. So many people would have gone for the puppy, but you made that dog happier than he could have ever been.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    He was so lucky to have you for those final months of his life. I'm sure he was as blessed by your family as you were by him being a part of it. Thanks for taking in an old guy knowing you would be facing this difficult time sooner rather than later.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    This is really cool poem that I found after we had to put our last dog down. Thought I would share it.

Your beloved friend,
    your dog was to you,
    was always by your side,
    when you were blue.

Unconditional love,
    Is what he gives,
    to be your pal,
    for as long as he lives.

Grieve for your friend,
    it is in the cards,
    Remember those days,
    playing and romping in the yard?

They make you smile,
    when you feel down,
    looking up at you,
    with those big eyes of brown.

In a better place,
    is where he went,
    to romp in the grass,
    where he was sent.

There is a heaven,
    for dogs I'm sure,
    and in that thought,
    you'll find your cure.

To reunite your friendship,
    That is a must,
    one day again with your best friend,
    for in you, she will trust.

God is watching him now,
    I know this to be true,
    So that when you go to heaven,
    He will again be with you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can see all this in my mind Nick.
    Same thing happened to my child hood pet. He got old and slow. I got the call. I came to sit with him.
    My heart is with you all right now.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I remember when we lost ours & had to put her down. Not a good moment for other than knowing there was no more suffering. So sorry for your loss. I'm sure it was well worth it having him in your lives, even more that you were in his !!!

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Hate to hear that you lost him, VUPD. For some reason, some kind of dust storm kicked up in here while I was reading your post. Thank God for people like you and your family with compassion in their hearts for our 4-legged friends. The wife and I sat in the vet's while one of ours passed, and it was tearfully bittersweet--little guy was no longer hurting and in my heart I know he's in a better place waiting for me, but it always hurts to see them go.

I sincerely hope you find yet another furry family member to enrich all your lives.

Top Bottom