• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    With adopting him at that age says a lot about Mack's parents . I'm sure he knew who really cared about him and he will watch over the family until you guys meet again . RIP Mack

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Awesome story! know the pain your going thru... lost my 1st Springer 2 years ago to cancer... he was part of our family.. shortly afterwards lost a rescue St. Bernard to a car.. tore my wife and I up. We are empty nesters and they are like kids to her. Still think of our dogs and miss them.. dont know if it helps but all the good times and what you did for him will help ease the sadness... someday. Hopefully soon.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I am sorry to hear about your loss. It is stories like these. Adopting an old dog so he would not pass alone, well it just makes all the BS we all have to put up with everyday a little less important.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    My Mom gave me this poem when my 16 year old weiner dog died with a picture of him in his prime.

From time to time, people tell me, “lighten up, it’s just a dog,” or “that’s a lot of money for just a dog.”
    They don’t understand the distance travelled, the time spent, or the costs involved for “just a dog.” Some of my proudest moments have come about with “just a dog.” Many hours have passed and my only company was “just a dog,” but I did not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by “just a dog,” and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of “just a dog” gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it’s “just a dog,” then you probably understand phrases like “just a friend,” “just a sunrise,” or “just a promise.” ”Just a dog” brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. “Just a dog” brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person. Because of “just a dog” I will rise early, take long walks and look
    longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it’s not “just a dog” but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future,
    the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. ”Just a dog” brings out what’s good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day. I hope that someday they can understand that its’ not “just a dog” but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being “just a man” or “just a woman.” So the next time you hear the phrase “just a dog,” just smile, because they “just don’t understand.”

~Unknown Author

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    RIP Mack

My friend, you and your family did a wonderful thing.

There is a theory, and others may have said this already, I didn't read the whole thread... little too much dust in the air... but it's said that we live many years and show love sometimes, other feelings other times, etc. Dogs live few years, and love wholeheartedly. The comparison is our candle to their bonfire.

It pleases me very much and surprises me not at all to find that you gave Mack a family of bonfires to complete his life.

God bless you, my friend.
    Bill

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Great thing you did for Mack, Nick. Vey cool of you and your family. I'll just leave this here:

TAKE JOY IN…..OLD DOGS
    By Donna Swajeski
    Their joys are simple. A soft bed. A scrap fallen from the table that the younger dogs missed. The memory of a treed squirrel. A stormless night.
    White whiskered faces and legs crooked as question marks.
    Old Dogs…their sweet Buddha bellies hang over crossed legs as they fall asleep in a coveted patch of sun. Dreaming of out-racing their shadows down long, shady lanes.
    Once they danced by your side. The very definition of joy unleashed. A perfect poem caught in shining eyes and wagging tails. They have followed you faithfully for years. And would plunge into fires, untamed wildernesses, raging waters if you asked.
    Now, they struggle to catch up. Their pace slow but their hearts still valiant.
    Their cloudy eyes are starting to dim and go distant, tuning in to some invisible world. Just beyond your reach.
    Don’t go you say, as you scratch the tender part between their ears. Stay longer. I can’t imagine a world without your fur pressed close to my cheek. There are still so many roads we haven’t explored.
    And they look up at you with a wisdom that just slays you.
    Their backs are bent, not from the weight of years, but from the invisible wings they are growing
    That will soon take them to a place where once more they are warriors of speed
    Drunk with the sights and scents of a thousand meadows.
    Able to leap high enough to touch the wing of the tiniest butterfly.
    A place where they will now wait for you to catch up.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I know what you're feeling. Just a few weeks ago, our old canine friend of 13 years passed. Luckily, it happened quickly. It was only a matter of a few hours from the time we knew there was a problem till he was gone. He did not appear to suffer so we were glad about that. Our pet friends can become more important than we realize. I know mine did. It really hit me a lot harder than I expected.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I know what you're feeling. Just a few weeks ago, our old canine friend of 13 years passed. Luckily, it happened quickly. It was only a matter of a few hours from the time we knew there was a problem till he was gone. He did not appear to suffer so we were glad about that. Our pet friends can become more important than we realize. I know mine did. It really hit me a lot harder than I expected.
    QFT, they have the power to get into our souls. And I'm ok with that.

VUPD, sorry for your loss. And the same to your GF.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Sucks. Just found out last week our 13 yr old Aussie has advanced mouth cancer. Days are short. Just waiting to have to make the call... Sorry.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Sorry for your loss and thanks for being kindhearted enough to help a living creature in need. That sounded kind of weird probably but you know what I mean.

Top Bottom