• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    We have a lot that is in need of some clearing. It has several dead Ash trees and some invasive crap that should be removed. I dont want the ash trees to fall on my neighbors properties.

I know I want someone who does this work and is license, insured, and bonded, but who do I call to have this done? In the past I've called tree services to cut down a single tree, but at 800-900 a tree it would probably cost me 10k.

Thanks.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Dead ash trees are tricky these days if they have any height. The tops are very brittle, I have someone watch for me when felling them on my ground.

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    I think they are approx 30 feet my guess. Around 10 feet on one broke off so I know what your saying about brittle. Therefore, I'm not going to attempt. I want someone who knows what they are doing - their trade. Our lot is approx 4/10 acre and about 25% of it is 'wooded'. We were thinking about having it just cleared.

I have had good success in using tree services for individual tree trimming and removal. If they priced everything individually then I couldnt afford it. I assume they would use a back hoe or something for the invasives.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Call Matt Birch at Matt's Tree Service. 745-1970. Tell him Randy Beavers gave you his number.....he is a pretty affordable guy if you are on West side.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Is this an empty lot?

IMHO, licensed bonded & insured = $$$$

Knowledgeable guy with a chainsaw and a liability waiver = $

Sounds to me like you're trying to get the service of the first at the price of the latter. Good luck!!

FWIW, I cut trees for friends and family. Cost is typically a case of beer per tree if all I have to do it put it on the ground. Most I've charged was 10 cases per tree, I had to climb it and piece it down. I've taken professional tree cutting classes and take safety very serious.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Call arbor experts in franklin. John Hawkins has done well by me. They climb trees and surgically remove them, no boom trucks for most jobs. Not that expensive either

he is a certified arborist

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Have you thought about tracking down this young lady?

disaster-girl3.jpg

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I guess i am lucky that i learned to fell trees with an axe in Boy Scouts. Moving to a chain saw was a luxury. Is tying a line to the tree and putting tension on it with a truck to help it drop in the correct direction out of the question?

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I work part time as a crane operator for Martin Tree Service. Contact Ben Martin @ 317.580.8080 or look us up on FB. We might not be as cheap as two guys with a truck, but we are usually WELL below the big name guys. We do dangerous removals, lot clearing, storm damage, you name it. Tell them Michael sent you.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm piggybacking a little on the subject... Anyone have any recommendations for a stump grinding service in Morgan county, and approx cost of said service? I have a 30" diameter stump in my back yard I'd like gone (in town, so nothing explosive). It's cut very short, probably 6-8".

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm piggybacking a little on the subject... Anyone have any recommendations for a stump grinding service in Morgan county, and approx cost of said service? I have a 30" diameter stump in my back yard I'd like gone (in town, so nothing explosive). It's cut very short, probably 6-8".

There is always renting a stump grinder if you're up to doing it yourself.

Generally a number of tree removal services also do stump removal so start at the tree removal guys.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    There is always renting a stump grinder if you're up to doing it yourself.

Generally a number of tree removal services also do stump removal so start at the tree removal guys.

Doing it yourself is the cheapest route. Most companies have a formula per inch, measured at ground level, widest part of the stump. You will pay a little extra for having a "tall" stump, as that is that much extra wood the machine will have to chew through.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    If I can find the name of the guy I used when I get home I will post it. One thing to remember is that taking the wood is labor intensive. If you have the time and ability, depending on the size of the trees, most of the cheaper companies will just section out the trees starting at the top. If the trees are pretty weak at the top they might have issues, not sure. My neighbors at my old home both had trees cut down this way, and I took some of the wood for myself (in one case the neighbor offered, in the other, the tree company had just a bit too much left over to haul away). I rented a splitter and with my dad's help and a few hours time we had a ton of free firewood. If you split it and stack it and post good photos on Craigslist, people will come and take it off your hands for free usually.

Top Bottom