Lots of guys seem to be running a business on Facebook without an ffl. How?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Para19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    I am on a few gun groups on Facebook and I have noticed a number of people running a business without an ffl. I have not bought nor sold on any of these groups but I like to look at them. How are they getting away with it? Some I've seen doing it all year posting every other day.

Last edited:

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    What aggravates me is seeing "gunsmiths" and "refinishers" that are operating without an FFL. I went through all the hoops to keep myself legal, but yet they are doing it "under the table." But it's that way with just about any business. There's good ones, there's bad ones; there's legal ones and those that operate under the cloak of darkness. Its just frustrating.

Para19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Is that any different than this?

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...802-business-without-ffl-online-auctions.html

[video=youtube;9I5iugfTiIk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I5iugfTiIk[/video]

I did not notice that thread. I suppose it answers some questions. On gunbroker I see that not having an ffl tag doesn't mean you don't have your ffl. These guys openly advertise that they don't. I know a guy going thru the process to get his ffl so it just raised some questions.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    What aggravates me is seeing "gunsmiths" and "refinishers" that are operating without an FFL. I went through all the hoops to keep myself legal, but yet they are doing it "under the table." But it's that way with just about any business. There's good ones, there's bad ones; there's legal ones and those that operate under the cloak of darkness. Its just frustrating.

You won't be aggrivated by jumping through the hoops and staying legal when/if someone starts digging around.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I did not notice that thread. I suppose it answers some questions. On gunbroker I see that not having an ffl tag doesn't mean you don't have your ffl. These guys openly advertise that they don't. I know a guy going thru the process to get his ffl so it just raised some questions.

Not being a "Facebooker", I don't know how that works. People advertise their business there? Are these people you call out local? Are they operating a business premise or at gun shows?

Like what has been said, they get away with it because the ATF has limited resources and can't go after everyone that thumbs their nose at them.

Para19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Not being a "Facebooker", I don't know how that works. People advertise their business there? Are these people you call out local? Are they operating a business premise or at gun shows?

Like what has been said, they get away with it because the ATF has limited resources and can't go after everyone that thumbs their nose at them.

The groups pretty much run like the classifieds here, they are local. I can't say whether they sell at gun shows or not. There are many people doing it those names I just happen to see every time I get on to look around.

Para19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013

You're right and I think biscuitsNabasket is also.

Para19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Para, are you sure he's not advertising for NFA trusts? That's the domain of a lawyer and not a licensee.

He's got a few ads up for firearms currently. I have seen him advertise for his trusts and his services are good I've heard. I'm not singling him out. He's just one of the many I see selling.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah, I have seen some guys selling a "collection" but its constantly changing and it does seem like they are doing it to make money, not just "changing things up." They probably aren't making a living on it, but it doesn't take earning a lot for it to be considered a business.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I think a lot of it comes down to the vagueness of defining what exactly "in the business of" means.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    If they are actually doing it to as a business on Facebook without an FFL, it's only a matter of time until they get their hand smacked. I am continually amazed at what people will put on the internet apparently with some expectation of privacy.

Top Bottom