• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Ok. If your grandpa was an infantry Marine going into action for any battle after the Guadalcanal campaign there is a very good chance that IF he was a rifleman, then he carried either an M1, BAR or 1903 set up for grenade launching. Any infantry Marine that was a mortorman, MGer or flame thrower etc possibly had the M1 Carbine. If he had a rear area assignment or stateside assignment then he probably had the M1903 in one of its various configurations. In fact I don't think the USMC even got the A3 variant, and probably did not ever get an M1917. The USMC never liked that rifle and never even had it during WW1.

And no, the M1917 never had a windage adjustable rear sight, which was the reason the US Ordnance department didn't adopt it as standard following WW1 since it was the most common by 1918 by a large margin.

Last edited:

braydenw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2020
    Columbus
    As was said previously, check estate sales, also id call up local pawn shops and gun stores, currently it’s a buyers market for firearms

tribeofham

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Fishers
    I prefer the 1903 vs the 1903a3 because the 1903's sights are better equipped for target shooting. In fact, this was a major criticism at the time! Some day I do hope to buy a Smith Corona 1903a3 but I keep putting it off.

I bit the bullet and purchased it through GunBroker. There were plenty of pictures so I knew exactly what I was getting. I've used Rock Island Auction a few times now but the final costs made each experience no better or worse that GunBroker.

I'd like to know how others are finding out about estate sales. Some of the best finds appear to be through them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I prefer the 1903 vs the 1903a3 because the 1903's sights are better equipped for target shooting. In fact, this was a major criticism at the time! Some day I do hope to buy a Smith Corona 1903a3 but I keep putting it off.

I bit the bullet and purchased it through GunBroker. There were plenty of pictures so I knew exactly what I was getting. I've used Rock Island Auction a few times now but the final costs made each experience no better or worse that GunBroker.

I'd like to know how others are finding out about estate sales. Some of the best finds appear to be through them.
    In the newspaper.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 15, 2019
    Union
    Those rifles are pretty inexpensive you could start yourself a nice collection with The M1917 ,1903 Springfield and The 1903A3
    all the same caliber.Many variants as well.My dad hunts ground hogs with his 1903 .Shoots 110 varmmeggdon bullts .3000fps

Top Bottom