• Loud pipes on bikes:

• Total voters

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    While they can look neat, I have heard they are way underpowered for their size and again it does not LEAN into the corners. It's basically a snowmobile with tires or a reverse trike. But honestly if I ever couldnt hold up 2-wheels, I would give in and get a trike or a CanAm just to get in the wind....Less than 4 wheels is a bike (basically) and I try to not hate on ANYTHING that is a bike.
    They also make hydraulic wheels that come down as the RPMs go down to help hold up the bike, when the RPMs go back up, the wheels go back into the saddle bags. Pretty cool stuff. I can give you the number of a shop who installs these if your interested.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't care about high speeds, so if I couldn't handle 2 wheels anymore, I'd consider one of these:

tourist_red_rightview2_520.jpg

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    I'd like to see one pull a wheelie!

My def of fast and Skulldaddy's def of fast must be WAY different. A 998cc (100 hp) motor on a 1000 lb (dry weight) machine is not my idea of fast. But it is still better than any Camry or Neon out there!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If I can't drive down the road with straight pipes on my car, motorcycles shouldn't be allowed to ride down the road with straight pipes either.

I will further add that the line "loud pipes save lives" is PURE BS.

WHY?

Because when you're in your car with the windows rolled up, you only hear the straight pipes when they're pointed AT YOU.
    And by that time, the motorcycle is in a position where it's visible.

What's more important when you ride is to BE VISIBLE, ride like you're INVISIBLE, and wear protective gear.

Yet I see so many imbeciles riding dressed like they're vying for a Darwin Award, then claiming the straight pipes they're running will "protect" them... :):

Last edited:

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    My def of fast and Skulldaddy's def of fast must be WAY different. A 998cc (100 hp) motor on a 1000 lb (dry weight) machine is not my idea of fast. But it is still better than any Camry or Neon out there!
    Compared to what? We are talking about a 3 wheeled vehicle that at US 41 Drag strip was pulling 125 to 145 mph stock. Not bad for a 1000cc at that weight.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Compared to what? We are talking about a 3 wheeled vehicle that at US 41 Drag strip was pulling 125 to 145 mph stock. Not bad for a 1000cc at that weight.

Relax....I was just giving you crap. I ride a 1000cc sportbike, so not too much else is considered fast to me. besides the hayabusa / ZX-14 bikes or bikes with a ton of add-ons.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy

Not calling BS but Are you sure that wasn't the time you were looking at as in 12.5-14.5 seconds not mph? Because the fastest I have seen them run in stock form was in the mid 90s thru the traps. Then again it could have been a heavily modified spyder and been able to run those speeds but not a stock one.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Not calling BS but Are you sure that wasn't the time you were looking at as in 12.5-14.5 seconds not mph? Because the fastest I have seen them run in stock form was in the mid 90s thru the traps. Then again it could have been a heavily modified spyder and been able to run those speeds but not a stock one.

Even modded ones I was only seeing them post numbers in the low 12's ($$$$$$$). So yea no way they were running that fast. Top speed on one from the factory is like 118 mph.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've had a few motorcycles in my day. I never had loud pipes on my bikes, but there are just too many things in this world to be upset about without worrying about someone else's exhaust pipes. We also have far too many intrusive laws already without getting curmudgeonly about stuff like this.

DSC_3347Large.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You know it has been a long, bitter winter when it takes over 16 pages to debate motorcycle pipes instead of the usual open carry/concealed carry or even the glock vs. 1911 arguments.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Some people over do it. A nice rumble from a V-twin or a good tone from an in line 4 is all you need. Anything else is to much.

I have yet to see the factory exhaust system that did not lack in the sound department. Especially a Honda. I have had Honda bikes, with factory pipes, pass me (in my truck) and I never even knew there was a bike next to me.

Louder is better to an extent.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    I've had a few motorcycles in my day. I never had loud pipes on my bikes, but there are just too many things in this world to be upset about without worrying about someone else's exhaust pipes. We also have far too many intrusive laws already without getting curmudgeonly about stuff like this.

DSC_3347Large.jpg

BEAUTIFUL Gen 2! That's the only bike I would ever sell mine to "upgrade" to at this point. Love that new body style, even more than I love the original Busa!

Top Bottom