• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Louis Awerbuck offers a class on home defense tactics, but unfortunately not at BCSD.

Since defending our families is the main priority for most of us, I think this course would be invaluable; exluding those whose home defense plan includes calling Zed and bringing out the gimp.

I told Sheriff Campbell that I would like to see it on the schedule for next year and that I would try to get as many people as possible to lobby for this. :):

This would be a great opportunity to bring your spouse, friends, etc and since the class is offered in a two-day format, no one will be missing work. Also, the cost is more appealing than other classes due to it being one day shorter and almost no ammo needed.

If you are interested, please send Sheriff Campbell an e-mail. If you need his e-mail address, shoot me a PM.

Here's the course description:

"Home Defense Tactics
    While the best and most intelligent way to handle a home break-in is to get away if possible or at least to stay in one location, call law enforcement and not move from that spot until officers arrive and take care of the situation, it is recognized that this is not always possible.
    If a family member is in potential danger, one may have to move to the person's location to protect him/her, and/or be capable of operating in unison as a "team". Extensive discussion of tactical methods will serve to alert the student to hazards he/she may encounter. Session hours will vary to allow the inclusion of night searches.
    The basic principles discussed will also suit the lone patrol officer or two-man patrols who seldom have little choice in whether they can advance into, or withdraw from a danger area. The course is offered in a 2-day format with minimal or no shooting, or a 3-day format with one day of shooting instruction."

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I would sure be curious about that one.
    From taking his shooting classes (where he doesn't even into this very far at all) and watching his "Safe at Home" video, I could see it being very worthwhile.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I'd be more interested in the 2-day class without the shooting.

Same here.

Please let Ken know that you're interested, gents. You don't have to commit since now, but at least he'll know that people will consider it.

BTW, rhino, did you lose your AK sight adjustment tool? If no one has contacted you yet, check with Ken.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Someone called me and mentioned that one was found, but I have mine in the pocket of my rifle case. I'll double check to make sure.

In any event, I'll be there this coming Tues-Thurs.

Thanks for looking out for me!

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Any course with Louis is worth the time. If I'm in country I'd love to see him again next year. I keep meaning to get down for another shotgun, and keep missing it. Home Defense sounds like a great course to pick up from him.

Tinman....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I asked Louis and his boss Leigh about this tonight. He told me that in order to have the class, we'd need a real, live home in which to do at least part of it. So, while we're lobbying to have the class added to the schedule, keep in mind that either one of us will have to volunteer their house (in or near Lebanon), or we'd have to find someone else who will let us use their house.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Thanks for the info, rhino. If my house were closer to BCSD, I would have no problems opening it for training and providing food and beer afterward. I guess finding someone to let us use their house will be a challenge.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep. Not insurmountable, but significant.

We need to ID some of the locals who are regulars in the classes and see if any are willing to help. I don't know of any who are on this forum yet. Other options would be someone who is on here (but doesn't go to the classes) who lives in or near Lebanon would be willing to help.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    "Give me your wallet" will go down in infamy....

I knew it had to happen (i.e. get mentioned here), but I'm surprised it took so long.

I'm not sure which would be the funniest to the observers:

1) The person in question shouting "give me your wallet!" in that context;
    2) The egregiously loud "click!" when a bang! was expected; or
    3) The fact that it happened to the person in question.

I do know one thing, though. If you go to the line to do a one-man drill in front of the whole class, then you do a smarta** thing like yell, "Give me your wallet!" as you commence the drill, it would behoove you to have a loaded rifle. Proving what a dumba** you are in front of a dozen other smarta**es is not conducive to healthy self-esteem.

And man, that was the loudest "Click" I've ever heard in my Life.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    All of the commentary above is purely hypothetical! Since there is no physical evidence and eye witness accounts are the least reliable form of evidence, I maintain that none of it happened! NONE OF IT, I tell you!

In fact, since it clearly never happened, I wasn't even there.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

:D

Top Bottom