• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Back when a cop could go their whole career and never draw on duty.

Probably the real reason for the crossdraw, no belt reloads, etc. Though, the guy second from the right has both a conventional holster position and what looks like a revolver dump pouch.

Perhaps a baton was hung on the right side and that's why it was kept clear. Sure would be cool to have the opportunity to sit and chat with them about it.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    There is a huge collection of old IPD photos in the Bass Photo Collection at the Indiana Historical Society. Many are very similar to the one posted. A few have 3-4 officers holding shotguns and Thompsons. There were a variety of hand guns which was due to the fact that IPD officers had to provide their own sidearms "back in the day". Some of those guys were still around when I was hired in 1967. Only requirement was they had to be Colt or S&W in .38 Sp. Uniform jackets (called blouses) were pretty heavy. The older winter coat was heavy wool, hip length. It was called a reefer and was heavier than a Navy peacoat. Large side pockets were open inside so you could draw your revolver with the coat buttoned up. Wish I had one today.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    There is a huge collection of old IPD photos in the Bass Photo Collection at the Indiana Historical Society. Many are very similar to the one posted. A few have 3-4 officers holding shotguns and Thompsons. There were a variety of hand guns which was due to the fact that IPD officers had to provide their own sidearms "back in the day". Some of those guys were still around when I was hired in 1967. Only requirement was they had to be Colt or S&W in .38 Sp. Uniform jackets (called blouses) were pretty heavy. The older winter coat was heavy wool, hip length. It was called a reefer and was heavier than a Navy peacoat. Large side pockets were open inside so you could draw your revolver with the coat buttoned up. Wish I had one today.

Thanks for sharing sir....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    c8e09f7cd77b3f9d1b964c814f673f2a.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Looks to me that those holsters could be worn anywhere on the belt. They are not cross draw holsters. My guess is the offhand side is simply out of the way when getting in and out of vehicles or chairs compared to hanging down on the right side. I doubt there was “tactical” thought given to how the gun was worn.

looked again. The picture is just that cool. Notice the belts are not sagging when the gun is on the left and positioned in front of the hip. There is an additional strap over the right shoulder that would help support the weight. I bet that is part of the uniform. The officers probably are wearing their guns in the most comfortable fashion.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Looks to me that those holsters could be worn anywhere on the belt. They are not cross draw holsters. My guess is the offhand side is simply out of the way when getting in and out of vehicles or chairs compared to hanging down on the right side. I doubt there was “tactical” thought given to how the gun was worn.

looked again. The picture is just that cool. Notice the belts are not sagging when the gun is on the left and positioned in front of the hip. There is an additional strap over the right shoulder that would help support the weight. I bet that is part of the uniform. The officers probably are wearing their guns in the most comfortable fashion.

That is a Sam Browne belt, a very common item in military and police uniforms of the past. It was invented in the 1800's by a British military officer who had lost one of his arms and subsequently had trouble with his sword belt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Browne_belt

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    So is the guy second from the right odd in that he has his support strap supporting his left side of the belt, but has the gun on the right side? A later picture shows officers with the support strap on the left and right side. Maybe he moved the holster at the last moment for the picture.

Top Bottom