• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have been working up some competition loads for my SIG P320 X5, and I have to say I am a big fan of Alliant Sport Pistol powder. Really great stuff!

First off, it meters extremely well through my Dillon powder drop. I love this feature! I worked up a bunch of different loads using 124 gr and 147 gr bullets, and verified each load (so much work... UGH). I was amazed at how well it metered compared to some of the other powders I use frequently.

Secondly, it burns really clean. In the loads I tested, no residual powder could be seen, and the gun was surprisingly clean at the end of the range session after about 250 rounds.

One of things I test for is to make sure I am making the appropriate Power Factor for USPSA shooting (Minor PF of 125 in this case). But once I find 2-3 loads that will work, I focus in on accuracy. This powder gave me fits because I really could not say that any of the qualifying loads were more or less accurate. How cool is that?

Perceived recoil is really a subjective thing, and you can argue against whether or not you can tell the difference between different powders with all other factors being the same, but Sport Pistol "felt" a bit softer to me than my standard Titegroup loads, and as mentioned, burned a LOT cleaner.

Overall, I am sold. This is really a home run for Alliant, and I am a convert for sure. And to be clear, I don't really buy into the "powder du jour" crowd that like to switch it up a lot. I have tested a bunch of the popular new powders, and have never felt that there is anything out there worth switching for. Until now.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Have you used power pistol? Chronographed?

Id like the find a less flashy powder than power pistol and really like alliant products....

Please and thank you
    Shred

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Yes, I have used Power Pistol. Not a fan. Lots of flash and smoke IMHO.

My goal is to make USPSA Minor Power Factor (>125 PF). These numbers come from my SIG P320 X5 (5" barrel).

Chronograph is my Labradar, readings taken at a temp of 56 F Degrees, %RH of 47%, and wind of 3 MPH.

I ran several loads in each bullet weight, but I am only going to show the ones that showed promise and meet my PF criteria.

124 gr loads: Both of these 2 loads met my PF criteria, but the 4.3 gr loads were more accurate. Actually, they were the best loads that I tested all day from an accuracy perspective.

Bullet Type: RMR JHP
    Bullet Weight: 124
    Powder: SP
    Weight: 4.2
    COAL: 1.08"
    Primer: CCI 500
    Case: Mixed

Stats - Average 1089.57 fps
    Stats - Highest 1104.00 fps
    Stats - Lowest 1064.00 fps
    Stats - Ext. Spread 40.00 fps
    Stats - Std. Dev 12.55 fps
    Avg Power Factor 132.57

---

Bullet Type: RMR JHP
    Bullet Weight: 124
    Weight: 4.3
    COAL: 1.08"

Stats - Average 1101.80 fps
    Stats - Highest 1129.00 fps
    Stats - Lowest 1086.00 fps
    Stats - Ext. Spread 43.00 fps
    Stats - Std. Dev 11.20 fps
    Avg Power Factor 133.91
    Notes: Very Accurate
    ---

147 gr. loads: Both of these loads met my PF criteria, but the 3.6 gr loads were more accurate.

Bullet Type: RMR FP
    Bullet Weight: 147
    Weight: 3.5
    COAL: 1.10"

Stats - Average 901.75 fps
    Stats - Highest 930.00 fps
    Stats - Lowest 885.00 fps
    Stats - Ext. Spread 45.00 fps
    Stats - Std. Dev 10.70 fps
    Avg Power Factor 130.62

---

Bullet Type: RMR FP
    Bullet Weight: 147
    Weight: 3.6
    COAL: 1.10"

Stats - Average 914.82 fps
    Stats - Highest 934.00 fps
    Stats - Lowest 895.00 fps
    Stats - Ext. Spread 39.00 fps
    Stats - Std. Dev 12.09 fps
    Avg Power Factor 132.83
    Notes: Very Accurate

---

Hopefully that is helpful information.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I have used VV 320 for my 45 acp and 9 mm for a very long time. Tried sport pistol and am very happy with it and will not go back to VV. And the price is a whole lot better on sport pistol and is just as clean and meters great.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Hmmm... I like what I am reading about with this powder. I am currently shopping for a new powder for 124 and 147gr bullets. Price is excellent too!
    I haven’t been able to find it on a burn rate chart, but Alliant describes it as medium-fast so I’m guessing ballpark of HP-38 and VV N320?

Thanks for posting!

cakelly1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Columbus
    This powder is what SNS recommends for their coated 45acp bullets. I've loaded some 45acp and I am very happy with this powder.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Haven't tried SP, but having excellent results with BE-86. Low flash and smoke, easily enough oomph to push Major in 9mm if you want to push it that hard.

Top Bottom