• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Been driving my new to me 09 Silverado 4X4 now for 2 weeks. I love it. Cut some 2X10 to create bed dividers in it. Can't wait to finally have a truck for hunting season. I have been sick of putting on my hitch hauler and taking it off each weekend.

So far it runs like a dream. Slightly hard shift from 1-2 on the upshift at slow speeds but I read online that the transmission learns your habits when new so I assume it would need to do the same for a new driver.

I think I might be a silverado driver for life now after my explorer crapped out on me.

Last edited:

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I have a standard cab 2009 4X4 I like it, but don't drive it much anymore. Only to put the boat in the water and on snow days to get to work.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Good for you!

Do the 09's have the 6 speed transmission and cylinder deactivation? If so, how are you liking those?

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I want a new truck so bad. We have to pay off the wife's car first. I am really shooting for early summer. That is a nice looking ride.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've felt naked without a truck for two years now... :(

P1020680.jpg

P1020681.jpg

I'll have another one someday.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Don't know about the 09's , but my 2010 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab has both and I like it, reasonable on the highway but the power is just a stomp on the gas away.

That would be nice. I have a 06 Crew Cab 1500 X old body style with the 6.0L for my personal truck. Man I love that engine. But she sure can drink when I let her run.

My company truck, 2008 4.8L V8 2 wheel drive might as well be a Impala with a truck body. But I have a heard the new 5.3's are pretty good with the right gearing.

Congrats on the new ride.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I've felt naked without a truck for two years now... :(

P1020680.jpg

I'll have another one someday.

what's the story behind your truck accident?! got a link?
    was everyone alright?

oh, and look at the CD in your window!

@ the OP my family has been loyal to the dodge rams. but my father is trying to sell his dodge ram now because he bought an 07 silverady 4dr 4x4. That think drives like a car, they're very nice trucks.

Bailey06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I also have a 2010 Chevy Silverado. So far it has been a nice truck.
    Gas mileage is better then past years due to the cylinder deactivation and 6 speed.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    what's the story behind your truck accident?! got a link?
    was everyone alright?

My step son took it black ice surfing and flipped it in a cornfield. No injuries other than my poor truck. It was an underpowered gas hog but it was mine and almost paid off. :(

Last edited:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Personally I think the 6 speed tranny is annoying, but I live in the sticks. On my back roads it is constantly shifting. The 5.3 has plenty of pull for me though, but I do miss my 350 at times.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I just bought an '04 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.6L Duramax diesel late last year, and it's a powerhouse. Fuel mileage is better than I expected, but it has an adjustable tuner that helps out a lot. As of yesterday, average economy is over 24 mpg...price of diesel fuel is a drag, but the truck is still pretty badass.

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    Personally I think the 6 speed tranny is annoying, but I live in the sticks. On my back roads it is constantly shifting. The 5.3 has plenty of pull for me though, but I do miss my 350 at times.

The 5.3 has considerably more power than the 350 ever had. What do you miss?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Another '09 owner here, but of a GMC Sierra. 4x4, Crew Cab, but a 3/4-ton diesel. LOVE that truck. Decent mileage, TONS of power, and very comfortable. Hope to have this one for a long, long time.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I just bought an '04 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.6L Duramax diesel late last year, and it's a powerhouse. Fuel mileage is better than I expected, but it has an adjustable tuner that helps out a lot. As of yesterday, average economy is over 24 mpg...price of diesel fuel is a drag, but the truck is still pretty badass.

Another '09 owner here, but of a GMC Sierra. 4x4, Crew Cab, but a 3/4-ton diesel. LOVE that truck. Decent mileage, TONS of power, and very comfortable. Hope to have this one for a long, long time.

Mine's an '03 with the 5.3/4speed. I like it and will probably drive it another 5 years, assuming it doesn't let me down. But man, I think I'd like to have one of those diesels. But the upgrade price is pretty stiff.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Good for you!

Do the 09's have the 6 speed transmission and cylinder deactivation? If so, how are you liking those?

Nope, mine is just the 4-speed tranny. I looked at a 6-speed and drove it and it seemed to shift all over the place. Coupled with the fact that all the used trucks with it were more expensive I just opted for the 4 speed.

I'm in a unique situation since I work from home. Gas mileage isn't such an issue for me as most and I don't tow so I was able to just go with the 4.8L engine with 4 speed. Makes a fine deer/golf club/mulch hauler.

Whats crazy is I have been getting 15.6 MPG city which is about the same as my 06 explorer got before it bit the dust.

Top Bottom