Behind Bars
    qualification-target-you-suck.jpg

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I can't figure out what is going wrong because I sincerely don't catch myself flinching.

You are not watching the front sight lift when the shot goes off, as you learn to you will see what you are doing wrong and be able to call your good shots and see/feel what you are doing wrong on your bad ones.

It does not matter where the sight is at any time, except at the time when the barrel starts to lift in recoil.

Radtgaeb

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    You are not watching the front sight lift when the shot goes off, as you learn to you will see what you are doing wrong and be able to call your good shots and see/feel what you are doing wrong on your bad ones.

It does not matter where the sight is at any time, except at the time when the barrel starts to lift in recoil.

I notice that I have a tough time in general just staying focused on the front sight, which probably isn't helping things.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    FWIW, most firearms have a preference for certain brands and weights, in regards to ammo. I've been shooting for 40 plus years so I've fired a fair number of guns.

Recently, my Sig P938 was always shooting left with 115gr range ammo, approximately 300-400rds. I thought my old eyes were causing the issue. I purchased some 124gr ammo and the hits were more point of aim but the groups were still not to my liking. I then shot some 147gr Federal HST ammo and the groups shrunk and were to point of aim. No grip adjustments, no aim adjustments, just different brands and weights of ammo.

Try some different brands and bullet weights until you find what your gun likes.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    All of the previous advice is well and good, however, if the condition does not remedy itself, some judicious sight adjusting is in order. If the grouping is fine, but either left, right, up, or down, and remedial practice does not cure it, then make sight adjustments to bring the group where it should be.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It would help to know what kind of pistol you are shooting and at what distance. It's anticipating recoil that usually causes those kind of shots. Knowing the split second when the round will fire isn't a good thing. Trigger control is probably the most important factor in the mix. A smooth (nonstop), straight to the rear trigger pressure is desirable. You need to learn the basic fundamentals of pistol marksmanship. Get some ideas of the fundamentals from literature or from the internet, but there is as much bad advice (maybe more) than good. Even old books on marksmanship are still valid. Dry firing will help, as long as you focus on the front sight throughout and look for movement as the hammer or striker does it's thing (follow through). If you find yourself looking at the target or somewhere in between, force yourself to refocus on the front sight. The movement of the front sight when dry firing, with practice, will enable you to read (call shots). When shooting live fire, shoot one shot. Try to call the shot, i.e. 8 o'clock, etc. Pay the most attention to the good shoots. Once you have accomplished trigger control and follow through, you can start shooting multiple shots and moving your target farther away. Once accuracy is obtained, you can increase your speed, but very slowly. The process is slow and progressive, so don't expect magical results in a short time.

Top Bottom