• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm attending the Crime Scene Investigator course up at ILEA currently, and was recently introduced to "Painting with Light". I am completely new to using a camera outside of cell phones, point 'n shoots, or setting a DSLR to "auto". My mind has honestly been blown with what you can do with a camera on manual mode, especially in low light.

That said, to anyone that is familiar with "Painting with Light", what flashlight is your favorite? I am a died in the wool Surefire fan, but am open to any suggestions.
    Trying to set up a kit for work. I purchased a Nikon DS3400 bundle, that came with a 18-55mm and a 75-300mm lens. Also picked up a Nikor Macro lens, but still lacking a light.

Thanks!

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I'm attending the Crime Scene Investigator course up at ILEA currently, and was recently introduced to "Painting with Light". I am completely new to using a camera outside of cell phones, point 'n shoots, or setting a DSLR to "auto". My mind has honestly been blown with what you can do with a camera on manual mode, especially in low light.

That said, to anyone that is familiar with "Painting with Light", what flashlight is your favorite? I am a died in the wool Surefire fan, but am open to any suggestions.
    Trying to set up a kit for work. I purchased a Nikon DS3400 bundle, that came with a 18-55mm and a 75-300mm lens. Also picked up a Nikor Macro lens, but still lacking a light.

Thanks!

That sounds like a cool class. Is it offered for free? I got a Canon Rebel from another INGOer a while back but can't do much with it other than on the "auto" setting and in daylight. I am thinking about taking a class at Robert's Camera in Indy. I don't want to be a professional photographer, but I also don't want to just point and shoot.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    That sounds like a cool class. Is it offered for free? I got a Canon Rebel from another INGOer a while back but can't do much with it other than on the "auto" setting and in daylight. I am thinking about taking a class at Robert's Camera in Indy. I don't want to be a professional photographer, but I also don't want to just point and shoot.

I think the class was $650 (including room & board + meals). It used to be 4 weeks, but they've divided it in half. They are having 2 classes on the first half, and 1 on the second later this fall. The second is considered the more advanced portion of it. The first is mostly on photography, video, prints, sketching, etc..... The second is on DNA and death investigations. The photography section is 2 days in the first half of the course, but you use those principles throughout it (like Macro photography for prints, etc...).

If you are mostly interested in the photography part though (myself included), the guys that teach that part of the course put on a 1 week school @ South Bend PD. Several guys in the class took it, and I heard nothing but praise. Plus the folks that took it were way ahead of the curve for this course. The South Bend guys really know a camera inside and out, and are great at teaching it.

Look at the Nikon 35mm and 50mm prime lenses. You can gather all sorts of light with those guys on the cheap, do your research.

Thanks for the advice. I also was amazed how little light was needed when you just set your camera to Aperture Priority Mode (A). I took a photo at dawn, and it looked like noon due to the ambient light.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Welcome to the world with out Auto setting. All sorts of things to experiment with in your future, get a decent monopod and maybe a tripod and you'll be killing it. Photography is another habit like guns and reloading beware.

Piobair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    NWI
    If you like "painting with light," check out the Rochester Institute of Technology annual "Big Shot." They've been doing these major shoots for over 30 years, shooting buildings, Churchill Downs, a waterfall, an aircraft carrier, etc., painting with light with hundreds of volunteers. RIT Big Shot

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Welcome to the world with out Auto setting. All sorts of things to experiment with in your future, get a decent monopod and maybe a tripod and you'll be killing it. Photography is another habit like guns and reloading beware.

It's kind of funny. I already had a Manfrotto carbon 055 tripod and magnesium ball head that I use with for my precision rifle via a Hog Saddle.

It was weird actually using it for what it's designed for. Worked great though and I'm glad it's a qd too, because it's going to be serving double duty.

If you like "painting with light," check out the Rochester Institute of Technology annual "Big Shot." They've been doing these major shoots for over 30 years, shooting buildings, Churchill Downs, a waterfall, an aircraft carrier, etc., painting with light with hundreds of volunteers. RIT Big Shot

I'll check that out :thumbsup:

Top Bottom