• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    More importantly, the goals and intent of any such event should be determined well in advance. If it's going to be USPSA/IDPA in the dark with lights, it's a completely different beast than what I would want to do. I also just realized we're in the shooting sports forum! I thought we were in the tactics and training forum when I was responding. Heck, Jackson started the topic! It has to be in the training forum! Heh!

I figured I was pretty well aware of the training opportunities and information in the T&T section. I heard of these lowlight competitions and thought it would be a fun thing to do. This seemed like the right place and already we have two posters with experience who may not have responded over in T&T. Thanks for the input everyone has given.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I figured I was pretty well aware of the training opportunities and information in the T&T section. I heard of these lowlight competitions and thought it would be a fun thing to do. This seemed like the right place and already we have two posters with experience who may not have responded over in T&T. Thanks for the input everyone has given.

It was my mistake. You did it right!

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    If I were as smart as Coach or Rhino, I'd have a decent COF laid out for our low light shoot next week. I have ideas, but they barely make it out of the muddle of gray matter formerly known as my brain.

I'm glad I saw this and read it through, it really does give me some ideas of what not to do for this event. I want to utilize the walls and bases we built for the USPSA match, make it a bit of a challenge.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It's one thing if you're doing it as part of a class, or w/ a group of folks that your comfortable have the skill level and experience for it.

I'm not going to invite people like that to participate. I'm not being intentionally elitist, but people who have never used a light and gun in low light would not be suitable candidates for this kind of activity.

Carry on then, you elitist %$@&! :)

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Carry on then, you elitist %$@&! :)

-rvb

Oh, I shall . . . I shall . . .

Thinking blind stages because I'm evil and it may level the playing field. Might just have one shooter at a time on the range (which will be hot), have the others wait out front.

Your setup is excellent for this kind of thing! You can control the light and control access to the layout.

Now you just need to add 360 degree bullet traps and you're in business! HAHAH!

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    1st stage will be 15 rds.

2nd stage 20 rds.

3rd stage 15 rds.

Drawing from the holster at the beginning of each stage. Expect reloads!

If you don't have a suitable flashlight, no worries, I'll bring a spare.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

2nd stage 20 rds.

3rd stage 15 rds.

Planning on being there. Bringing my cheater WML. I will have my hand held as well. I hope I don't shove the surefire into the M&P on a reload.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

2nd stage 20 rds.

3rd stage 15 rds.

Mandatory reloads or just due to capacity?

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    No mandatory reloads. If you run a stage without reloading, you're good. Still trying to figure out if we're gonna time each stage, or run strictly on score. Suggestions are welcome.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I think both, Jackson. There will be a briefing before we go in, and only one shooter will be running at a time with an RSO right behind the shooter.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    No mandatory reloads. If you run a stage without reloading, you're good. Still trying to figure out if we're gonna time each stage, or run strictly on score. Suggestions are welcome.

Suggestions would depend on the objective. Are you wanting to make this practical or a competition. If it is to be practical in nature a timer is a bad idea. But if it is to be competition a timer is necessary or ties are possible. If you don't care about ties or potential ties the timer is not necessary. I shot the match at the Polite Society and Tactical conference in 2013. I think there were six stages and they were all timed. Five of the six were standard exercise type of things and the sixth was shooting two hostile targets in a field of about 20 targets. Finding the hostile targets was the tough thing. It was all low light but a light was not needed. Just some ideas to ponder. Looking forward to see what you have cooked up.

Top Bottom