• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • putsjunior

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Suburma
    Make sure there’s nothing on in the house. Shine a flashlight next to the flashlight icon. A series of numbers will show up. If any water is being used, the digits will move and an icon that looks like a faucet may flash. The water company can also get info from that particular meter and tell you when the water usage is the highest.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I thought that thing meant a fire hose was spraying :D

i'll shine it later, thanks guys. Also, I've been told simply opening the meter cover is illegal by a homeowner

putsjunior

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Suburma
    It depends on the municipality. In the Town I work for, the pit belongs to the homeowner so it’s technically you’re property. But, the Town I used to work for, it belonged to the Town, therefore illegal. But nobody really cares unless it’s somebody stealing.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    It’s “illegal” in my town too. Not inforced. Don’t sweat it. Just don’t break anything of importance in the pit. You look to have a 5/8” Neptune meter. Those are the new types. If you shine a light down on it (as mentioned before) it will wake it up and show a small black arrow indicating water is passing through the meter if in fact water is passing through it. If all valves in house are shut and you have a black arrow as well as series of flashing numbers, you have a leak. If you have no arrow and eventually it reads a flashing 0.00 then you have no leak. Best of luck.

**Edit** Also, if you have a whole house filter, think about when the last time was that you changed it. If it’s been awhile that could be all it is. Sometimes a slug of not so clean water gets pulled into your line from the main and can plug up the filter. Take the filter out and put it all back together without a filter. See if that does anything.

Sorry putsjunior I didn’t read all the posts and didn’t mean to repeat a lot of the same info you said already. That’s what I get for being lazy!

Last edited:

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    You didn’t mention if you had a PRV (pressure reducing valve) installed. It’s common in some newer homes. These can be adjusted, but if it’s bad needs to be replaced. This can cause low pressure. Normal home water pressure should be between 60 to 70 psi. Anything higher has the potential of damaging valves. Here is a link explaining about PRV’s Water Pressure Reducing Valves - Water Conservation - Learn About - Watts

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If none of the above work and you don't detect any leaks in the house, you might--maybe--have FOD in the meter itself... Small rock, nut, bolt, whatever. I've seen and heard of strange things like this getting sent down the city supply lines.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Is it possible your water softener is in continuous backwash mode and dumping water straight into your sewer? If so, like others have mentioned, you should have seen increased consumption on your bill.

If you do have a leak outside, I'd expect to be able to find a wet spot out in your yard.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    We have great pressure at the shower head unless someone uses a sink elsewhere. Pressure drops noticeably.

Be thankful the kitchen hot water isn't running off the same pipe as the shower, and ahead of it. That was always a funny joke in our house growing up.

Oh... Dad's in the shower? Watch THIS.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I'd start with finding out what your static pressure is at the house. When water flows through the pipes there is always some pressure loss. If you are starting out with a low pressure to begin with, you will really notice the normal losses. Your utility is only required to provide you with 20 psi for safety reasons. In reality less than 60 psi will make most of us complain. If you are much below that, chances are your neighbors are feeling the same thing. It's worth complaining with the utility about. The fact that you feel it has gotten worse over time does suggest some sort of buildup.

On a side note, those whole house filters can become a breeding ground for bacteria if left too long, especially if you are high in iron in your area.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It depends on the municipality. In the Town I work for, the pit belongs to the homeowner so it’s technically you’re property. But, the Town I used to work for, it belonged to the Town, therefore illegal. But nobody really cares unless it’s somebody stealing.

I had a leak on the supply side valve of the meter in my pit. I called them and told them and was told "if its in the pit, it is yours. You need to pay for a repair unless it is the meter itself." I reiterated that the leak was on their side of the meter and therefore THEIR valve. (and THEIR water escaping) They doubled down.

Seriously? You expect me to pay to stop a leak before it reaches the meter? (and therefore is not billed. Technically speaking, if the water doesnt go through the meter, its not mine) Screw you! If it was leaking 3 feet closer they would fix it.

Lucky for them, it was just a loose packing nut and I was able to stop the leak. Otherwise I would have let it drip and let THEIR water run into the ground. That made no sense to me.

On a related note, at work many moons ago we had an issue with a directional bore for a fiber run. They hit an undocumented water line. Old crusty guy from the water company came by and knew it was there, but also knew it wasnt on the plans. To make matters worse, the supply valve in the middle of the widened street had concrete slopped into the sleeve. It took them 2 days to finally hammer through the concrete chunks and shut of the street main. Luckily it was well before the meter, so it was THEIR water, not mine. :rockwoot:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Hit the bypass on softener and it helped a bit. Neighbors not having issues.

i hit it with a light and I'm at 0.17 on the flow rate, but we have a humidifier on our furnace that is probably going at that rate.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

i hit it with a light and I'm at 0.17 on the flow rate, but we have a humidifier on our furnace that is probably going at that rate.

was your furnace running at the time?.......if not you have a leak....

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    As mentioned above I would turn off all the water in the house proper. Then run an outside spigot. See if it is good pressure. Turn on a second one if you have it. See if you like the pressure.

If you like the outside pressure then head back in and check each area where you get water. If all of them are slow to you maybe you got sediment and such in your lines from the city flushing the mains. If that is the case you could shut the water off and pop a valve apart to see what you find.

Toilets are the easiest to check, and remedy. I have had city water fed stools that took half an hour or more to fill. Those valves are cheap and easy to change.

If you do not have outside spigots then go to the washing machine. Pop the hose at the machine and route it into the drain, then test it for pressure.

Run water in a ceramic mug that is white. Let it sit for a bit then look at it closely for sediment. That is another tell.

I have had main shut-offs that collected so much they wouldn't turn off completely as well, but that is a bit more involved. Having pex makes it easier for you if the problem is with the supply shut offs.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County

If shutting the main valve off in the house still gives you a positive rate reading, then the leak is between the meter and said main house valve. Again, all known valves in house must be off before looking for a rate on the meter. Another thing to check, while you have the house valve off and you’re in the meter pit, is turn the angled meter valve off in the pit and see if it still reads all zeros. This sounds silly, but they do fail from time to time, giving false readings. Cross all T’s and dot all i’s kind of thing. Gentle though, that whole “no big deal getting into the pit” comment will change if something vital is damaged.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Doc, buy and demo more of your neighbor’s houses. Increase your yard size AND eliminate competition for presure from the main. Win/win.

Top Bottom