Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Yet another scope discussion......yay!

Steiner P4XI 1-4
    Trijicon Accupower 1-4
    Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6

Of these 3 scopes I'm looking at, would like input on the following areas:

Best glass?
    Brightest daylight visible reticle for shooting CQB at 1X ?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I dont have the Accupower 1-4 but I have the 1-8 the glass is slightly better and the reticle is actually daylight visible and its first focal plane but it might help.

EluK3xgh.jpg

Trijicon Accupower 1-8 at 1X

Trijicon Accupower 1-8 at 8X

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Glass goes to Steiner, but they’re all usable.

Daylight bright reticle, the Steiner and PST are both daylight bright. The Trijicon is not daylight bright in a usable red dot sense (I had one).

Robustness definitely goes to the Trijicon. They’re built extremely well.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Glass goes to Steiner, but they’re all usable.

Daylight bright reticle, the Steiner and PST are both daylight bright. The Trijicon is not daylight bright in a usable red dot sense (I had one).

Robustness definitely goes to the Trijicon. They’re built extremely well.

This pretty much mirrors what I have read so far. I've looked through the Vortex in person, but not the other two. I don't think anyone in the Fort Wayne area carries those models. Would love to see them in person.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Honestly, I wouldn’t base my decision on glass between those three. They’re all fine for what a 1-4 or 1-6 is designed to do. Decide if you need the extra 2x magnification and what reticle works for you.

Personally, I’d go with the pst 1-6 out of those. The extra 2x is seriously nice, and the reticle is well designed, simple, and usable. The extra magnification is why you see almost every 3 gunner running a 1-6 or 1-8 these days. The 1-4 is becoming obsolete.

The only downside is the pst is a PI made scope. I’d prefer a Japanese model, but at this price point, you have to make decisions on what your money is going towards. That PST 1-6 is a lot of scope for the money.

If you can still find a close out gen 1 Sig Tango 6 1-6 for the same price as the PST, its a lot more scope for the money and made by LOW in Japan. Other than that or finding some other stupid closeout deal, I think the PST is the best in its price range.

This pretty much mirrors what I have read so far. I've looked through the Vortex in person, but not the other two. I don't think anyone in the Fort Wayne area carries those models. Would love to see them in person.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Greatly appreciate the good info coming. I will continue to research later at home and include the Sig in there as well.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Is the Tango 6 gen 1 only offered in the MRAD/MOA reticle? I was kind of thinking just a single illuminated dot in the middle would be more of my interest.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    It is a single illuminated red dot that is daylight bright and can be used like a red dot indoors at 1x. It also has a standard cross hair with MOA or MRAD ticks that are not illuminated. Damn useful design.

Is the Tango 6 gen 1 only offered in the MRAD/MOA reticle? I was kind of thinking just a single illuminated dot in the middle would be more of my interest.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    So I was able to look at a Sig Tango4 1-4 today, realized I had looked at one of these before, and was reminded I'm not a fan of the exposed turrets at all. I prefer capped turrets because they don't protrude much from the scope and I generally prefer a more compact design on just about anything. Looked at a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 with the Firedot reticle (2 versions), wow that dot is really bright and I definitely liked that feature along with the light weight, but didn't care for the actual reticle design itself, will have to see if they have other designs. I also looked at a couple of 3-9 Accupoints, just to get a general idea of their riflescopes, was kinda "meh" about them and not really impressed overall. I did get to look at the PST Gen II 1-6 again. This was the second time and I was more impressed than the first time. The dot is very bright, the reticle was very nice and the the eyebox seemed very large and generous, very easy to quickly look through and pickup the reticle with my eye. So far this is my main interest, but I would really like to look at the Steiner P4XI before I pull the trigger on a purchase.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    It is a single illuminated red dot that is daylight bright and can be used like a red dot indoors at 1x. It also has a standard cross hair with MOA or MRAD ticks that are not illuminated. Damn useful design.
    I can't seem to find this reticle, got a picture?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yeah, I didn’t like the Tango 4 either. The Tango 6 is a big step up.

If you have to have low profile capped turrets, go for the PST, it’s a great scope. The turrets on the Tango 6 are push up/down locking but still exposed and higher than some of the other options.

Eye box on either will be good, especially once mounted to a rifle. I always feel like the eye box feels smaller when I’m fiddling with a scope that’s not mounted to anything.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Pretty much think it's gonna be the Vortex as of right now. Put up my Aimpoint Micro T-1 for sale to try and make it happen.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Not sure what I'm gonna do now, the rifle I was thinking of putting this on is in the classifieds for sale now. :laugh:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Well I ended up putting a Trijicon Accupower 2.5-10x56 on my 20 inch BCM rifle. Still need to sight it in but I'm happy with my purchase so far. My other rifle is a 16" BCM with a 3.5 power Acog so my bases are covered currently. Thanks for all the info folks.

Top Bottom