• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    With this year coming to an end it’s got me thinking of what big purchase I want to save up to get for next year. This year was a suppressor so wanting a quality LPVO to go in my rifle . Thinking a 1-8 or 1-10 leaving towards a NightForce but would love other suggestions . Also I am looking at Steiner and Vortex Razors . Don’t have a lot of experience with LPVO only one I have is a Swampfox 1-8 and it is very good for the money however wanting to save for a big purchase.

Thanks in advanced . Pic is what it will be going on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      4.5 MB · Views: 27

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd give a trijicon accu-point 1-6 some consideration.

The problem with a lot of these ultra high magnification LPVOs is that they lack parallax focus, so it gets difficult to really use the upper end of their magnification for much more than observation.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Take a look at Aaron Cowen's video on the Primary Arms Platinum 1-8. Might be another option. I had an opportunity to look through the primary arms, the trijicon, the US optics, and a leuopold and really liked the primary arms offering with the ACSS reticle.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Check out the SuperSetCA Youtube channel. They do phenomenal optic reviews. iMO, they give you the best look you can get without actually shooting with one.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    OP, whatever criteria you base your decision on, be aware of the weight of the various choices. I have several Leopold 1-4x that weigh about 12 ozs. The Vortex's (and maybe others) come in at 24oz, or maybe more. I have one, but found it to be heavier than I wanted for my purpose, so it ended up as an expensive, awesome sight on an accurate, lightweight, 22mag varmint slayer!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd give a trijicon accu-point 1-6 some consideration.

The problem with a lot of these ultra high magnification LPVOs is that they lack parallax focus, so it gets difficult to really use the upper end of their magnification for much more than observation.

Very helpful info right here!

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    X2 on the Primary Arms. I have two of the older ones.
    They aren't the platinum versions, but it's the ACSS I bought them for.
    Best reticule out there for a basic combat rifle.

There are a lot of options for a long range precision rifle.
    A dedicated CQB gun gets a red dot... hands down.
    However, your basic "do it all" combat rifle... that deserves the ACSS.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    There's a couple of LPVOs in the classifieds that I haven't tried out but might be worth looking into. CameraLandNY also has a Steiner 1-4 with mount on sale. If you go Vortex, don't forget to check out AAOptics. Competitive prices, very fast shipping, and friendly service.

I've got a Meopta Optika6 1-6 that's nice but to echo MmpSteve's comments - at 20.5 ounces it's a little bit heavy even before mount (about 3 oz heavier than that Steiner Px4i). Can definitely tell the difference holding it vs. a lightweight Leupold. Meopta glass is nice - Used it on my hunting rifle and my cousin looked through it and first thing he did was compliment the clarity. I haven't tested it in any tacticool scenarios. I've got a backordered Meopta scope to eventually go on my 5.56.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    QxycGsH.jpg

I have a Trijicon Accupower 1-8 that I like quite a lot , the eyebox on the Night force NX8 a bit small. That being said if I were to do it over again the Vortex 1-10 would get a real hard look too. For the 8+ power optics I really enjoy the FFP reticle.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Swampfox makes great value optics. I have Tomahawk, Blade, Arrowhead and the Trihawk.

However, the most beautiful, crystal clear optic I have used in the genre is the EOTech Vudu. Mag. Nif. I. Cent.
    I also like the Arrowhead LPVO. 1-8x. They have a 1-10x now.
    At 8x it is very clear, and the 1x is like using a 1x prism sight. I like LPVO's because you have both a up close sight, and you can dial it up for longer ranges.

Also Swampfox gives veterans, active duty, and first responders a very good discount.

NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    OP, whatever criteria you base your decision on, be aware of the weight of the various choices. I have several Leopold 1-4x that weigh about 12 ozs. The Vortex's (and maybe others) come in at 24oz, or maybe more. I have one, but found it to be heavier than I wanted for my purpose, so it ended up as an expensive, awesome sight on an accurate, lightweight, 22mag varmint slayer!

Swapped over my 1-8 SwampFox Tomahawk to play around on the rifle I am wanting to have a new LPVO on and you are correct with the weight . Going from a Red dot with a light and suppressor it is heavy but not anything extreme . Definitely something to keep in mind as the Tomahawk weighs in at 19oz so I think 20 maybe 21 will be my limit and compare from there .

Thanks !

bman940

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    N. Tx
    +1 on the Meopta Optika6 1-6x24 SFP scope. I had one on my carbine comp/pig gun until my sone borrowed it, now I own 2. It may be a tad heavier than other scopes but by less than 1/4 pound so not noticeable at all. This scope is built like a tank and the Euro glass gives you excellent clarity. I like the KDot RD which lets me get on target quickly. Factor in the price (around $500 ish) and this scope is a no-brainer.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    X2 on the Primary Arms. I have two of the older ones.
    They aren't the platinum versions, but it's the ACSS I bought them for.
    Best reticule out there for a basic combat rifle.

There are a lot of options for a long range precision rifle.
    A dedicated CQB gun gets a red dot... hands down.
    However, your basic "do it all" combat rifle... that deserves the ACSS.
    Another vote for PA 1-6 Slx w/ ACSS reticle. Very good FFP optics for comparable price point
    8c5fd00f3c67b255dfd71c5f4201d41d.jpg

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    ^^^ Mine are similar, but 1-8. Very good for the money, and since they aren't on precision rifles, I like the capped turrets. I use the ACSS reticule. Well, one is on a bolt gun... A Swedish Mauser sporter. Could be called a precision gun I suppose, but that's not what I use it for. It's more of a do anything patrol rifle. Almost "scout rifle" in concept. The 1x gives me fast close in snap shot capability, and the 8x gives me long (ish) range capability. The three prong Surefire allows me to mount a can. (or will... if I ever get it out of ATF jail)

A Swedish Mauser on Princess Rock.JPG

Last edited:

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I only have 1 LPVO and it's a PA ACSS. The only thing I don't like about it, is that its SFP scope, the reticle is too small for me to see. I prefer my FFP scope more for my eyesight.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

I dig the Leopolds for the small footprint and light weight. I dunno what they're like now, but the PA and Vortex 1-6 of three or four years ago were absolute tanks. 10" long and very heavy on top of a lightweight rifle. Leupold sacrificed some capability but provided a smaller and lighter package that I kinda use like an Eclan.

Something about the lens requirement of getting down to 1x apparently imposes that length and therefore weight requirement. What is the lightest 1-6 and 1-8 now?

Top Bottom