• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjross2002

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    Is there a requirement to have a LTCH to own class III items? And if so does the LEO exemption waive said requirement? A dealer is telling me you need a LTCH for a class III and I cannot locate the state law requiring such.

Just trying to verse myself on the requirements as I have not purchased an NFA item before.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Is there a requirement to have a LTCH to own class III items? And if so does the LEO exemption waive said requirement? A dealer is telling me you need a LTCH for a class III and I cannot locate the state law requiring such.

Just trying to verse myself on the requirements as I have not purchased an NFA item before.

Who is the dealer so we can avoid such stupidity?

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    What if you had a Glock 18? Yes it's a MG, but would it also be considered a handgun? or an Uzi or Mac for instance.Just being quizzical because I like the knowledge.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    What if you had a Glock 18? Yes it's a MG, but would it also be considered a handgun? or an Uzi or Mac for instance.Just being quizzical because I like the knowledge.

Machine guns are their own firearms classification, according to Federal and Indiana law. A handgun and a machine gun are two different things. That's why you can put a stock on an UZI without getting in trouble for having an SBR. A machine gun is also not a rifle, even if it is shoulder fired.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Machine guns are their own firearms classification, according to Federal and Indiana law. A handgun and a machine gun are two different things. That's why you can put a stock on an UZI without getting in trouble for having an SBR. A machine gun is also not a rifle, even if it is shoulder fired.
    That answers it, thanks for the info.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Where is the IC on that?

As much as most will disagree with me and as much as I try not to give legal opinions I agree with MikeA.

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

I think it is an non-enforced "accidental" state code that does put many legal NFA owners in violation of the "strict interpretation" of Indiana Code.

I have long told AOW customers that it is my opinion that they need a LTCH to carry an AOW and to be honest I think it applies to SBR's and MG's as well if you go strictly by the letter of the law.

Just because the Fed's say it is ok doesn't mean the state can't say it isn't ok......ask Illinois.

My two cents.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    As much as most will disagree with me and as much as I try not to give legal opinions I agree with MikeA.

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:

I think it is an non-enforced "accidental" state code that does put many legal NFA owners in violation of the "strict interpretation" of Indiana Code.

I have long told AOW customers that it is my opinion that they need a LTCH to carry an AOW and to be honest I think it applies to SBR's and MG's as well if you go strictly by the letter of the law.

Just because the Fed's say it is ok doesn't mean the state can't say it isn't ok......ask Illinois.

My two cents.

While I'm never in favor of the Feds trumping the State, in this case would it not be true that the NFA law trumps the state?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lots of gun dealers know nothing about gun laws. I've had Class 1 dealers tell me it's illegal for me to bring a suppressor into their shop.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

So I could CC a micro Uzi without a LTCH?

I may be wrong, but I don't think that's correct.

Last edited:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    While I'm never in favor of the Feds trumping the State, in this case would it not be true that the NFA law trumps the state?

As far as I remember from high school government class all laws not specified as the the duty of the federal government by the US constitution are reserved for the states and the federal government cannot tell a state that it cannot pass a law that has nothing to do with interstate commerce.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong or quote me some case law.

I am not saying I like the Indiana code, quite to the contrary. It hangs a lot of good people out in the wind and needs to be changed. I am saying if you go by the strict interpretation, that is the law.

bigjross2002

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    Thanks

Thanks for all the responses guys. I didnt think that was right as well. The shop is actually Precision Arms out of Columbia City... I will just inform him that it was an error on his part. I just wanted to bounce the idea off of a few people first.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    (2) any firearm with:

My two cents.

So if SBR=handgun by IC, wouldn't that be a loophole in Indiana's pistol rule for deer hunting? Unless the DNR's regs go beyond the IC and say something about a stock, we could then hunt deer with standard rifle cartridges over .243 and case length longer than 1.16 inches if using a SBR in theory. Part of the reason I'm might be keeping one of my Dracos as a pistol is so I can hunt with 7.62x39.

Top Bottom