• ...and so much more!
  • Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    This is my question:

Looking at the online application, even tho Lake County 's not included, I see that I should have no problem with any of the questions except for one.

Have you ever been treated for psychiatric
    health care or an emotional or mental illness?

The answer to that question is yes, I'm Bi Polar. However, I have never been violent or had any issue whatsoever with the law, not even a traffic ticket in my 25 years of driving.

So, the application also states; " Submit documentation/recommendation from treating mental health professional or treatment center."

I have to see my Doc in two weeks and I'm going to ask him for a recommendation. I don't foresee any problems with him issuing one but, I'm sure he will ask me what he should write. Anyone can tell me what should be included in the recommendation? Has anybody gone thru a similar situation?

Any and all advised will be greatly appreciated. I'm so grateful to have found this site....Thanks!!

Alegre.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    "_____ is a patient of mine and I have no reason to believe s/he is a danger to him/herself or others."

Or whatever your doc would choose to write, but that should be enough to answer the state's question without compromising your privacy in any way more than the LTCH itself does.

Blessings,
    Bill

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I did this got the letter and all..., then was told when I did my LTCH I didnt need it because it only pretains to if you have been court ordered mental help or if you had been admitted to a mental hospital. But send the letter just in-case. I did. whats it hurt right? So go ahead and do the letter just to be on the up and up. But if you call the state police. They will say its not nessasary.

get the lifetime...... Im on my 2nd 4yr LTCH and really regret not getting the lifetime. I got 2yrs left to wait b4 I can hopefully get a lifetime

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Thanks guys for the advise!

I wish they would make that question a lot more clear. I've read some people say exactly what Turtle mentions, that it pertains to court order mental health or if you had been admitted to a mental hospital.

But when I read the question as is written, I get the impression that any mental health treatment should be reported.....so confusing :dunno:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I did this got the letter and all..., then was told when I did my LTCH I didnt need it because it only pretains to if you have been court ordered mental help or if you had been admitted to a mental hospital. But send the letter just in-case. I did. whats it hurt right? So go ahead and do the letter just to be on the up and up. But if you call the state police. They will say its not nessasary.

get the lifetime...... Im on my 2nd 4yr LTCH and really regret not getting the lifetime. I got 2yrs left to wait b4 I can hopefully get a lifetime

Turtle has it pretty much correct. I have some inside (but public if ya look) knowledge on this. Let's say I'm in the field and leave it at that.

This only applies to involuntary stays. Think EDO. Our LEO friends know what those are. If you checked yourself in I believe you would still be qualified. Simple therapy is not a diqsualifier.
    Another thing to note is that if you do have an EDO your weapons can be seized from your home under Indiana law. I looked and can't find my copy...LEO's ?????

Last edited:

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Thanks Cygnus.

So you suggestion would be to just check NO as the answer to the question OR Yes and include the doctor's recommendation?

BTW: What's EDO?

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Well I am not an attorney so I can't vouch 100% but that is the "spirit" of the law.
    I believe the thinking is if you self-initiate treatment you still have good judgement. If you have a mental condition that causes you to come into contact with law enforcemnt well then your judgement may not be so good.
    EDO = Emergencey Detention Order. (Issued by police with a judges approval) There's a 24 and 72 hour version.

Last edited:

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Yea...never an issue with LEO, Judges or anything of the like. My record is as clean as can be.

I appreciate your input greatly!! Thanks for taking the time,

Alegre.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Yea...never an issue with LEO, Judges or anything of the like. My record is as clean as can be.

I appreciate your input greatly!! Thanks for taking the time,

Alegre.

No problem but remeber I'm only a secondary source. Your best bet is to confirm with ISP on the firearm license line.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I did 6 months at a psychiatric hospital for one of my clinical rotations last year. This was one of the questions I asked the dr on staff who was also employed with the military and treated many servicemen and women for PTSD and other war-related disorders. His and my understanding is as long as you have not had any inpatient stays especially EDO/court ordered and your therapist psychiatrist says you have not and are not a danger to self or others, you are fine.

I disagree with the law on this matter.

Remember the VA Tech murderer? He had been treated for mental illness over a long period. However, that was outpatient rx, which still allowed him to legally purchase firearms.

This is not to say I'm calling out the OP. Far from it because I know many people with mental illness who are fully under control. I even had a lecture about a LEO who had dissociative identity disorder (multiple personality) and was very successful in his career, he even had a separate personality that took over when using firearms. What scares me about it though is that these illnesses, any and all of them, can cause a person who is under successful treatment to stop treatment and decompensate into a dangerous state.

Be aware also that if in the future you ever are EDO or voluntary inpatient you may lose any and all firearms to seizure. Of course don't let the fear of seizure prevent the illness from getting the treatment that it needs. Remember, health is important and is worth giving up everything you have to obtain it.

Disclaimer: this post contains no legal or medical advice. As always, check with the ISP on firearm laws and your physician for medical advice as they are the authorities on the matter.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I did 6 months at a psychiatric hospital for one of my clinical rotations last year. This was one of the questions I asked the dr on staff who was also employed with the military and treated many servicemen and women for PTSD and other war-related disorders. His and my understanding is as long as you have not had any inpatient stays especially EDO/court ordered and your therapist psychiatrist says you have not and are not a danger to self or others, you are fine.

I disagree with the law on this matter.

Remember the VA Tech murderer? He had been treated for mental illness over a long period. However, that was outpatient rx, which still allowed him to legally purchase firearms.

This is not to say I'm calling out the OP. Far from it because I know many people with mental illness who are fully under control. I even had a lecture about a LEO who had dissociative identity disorder (multiple personality) and was very successful in his career, he even had a separate personality that took over when using firearms. What scares me about it though is that these illnesses, any and all of them, can cause a person who is under successful treatment to stop treatment and decompensate into a dangerous state.

Be aware also that if in the future you ever are EDO or voluntary inpatient you may lose any and all firearms to seizure. Of course don't let the fear of seizure prevent the illness from getting the treatment that it needs. Remember, health is important and is worth giving up everything you have to obtain it.

Disclaimer: this post contains no legal or medical advice. As always, check with the ISP on firearm laws and your physician for medical advice as they are the authorities on the matter.

Ah I see your schooling has given you an "inner attorney" as well! :yesway:

Mine has served me well throughout the career:D

I thought the VATech shooter has an EDO that didn't make it into the sytem. I could be wrong though....

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Ah I see your schooling has given you an "inner attorney" as well! :yesway:

Mine has served me well throughout the career:D

I thought the VATech shooter has an EDO that didn't make it into the sytem. I could be wrong though....

It's very possible, however the point wasn't to delve into that story. Only to point out two things. One being that even though you have had history of mental health treatment, it doesn't necessarily exclude you from obtaining a LCTH. Second, not everyone that is legally capable of obtaining firearms and LCTH will maintain full capacity of their well being and with it, legal eligibility to purchase/carry firearms.

For the latter reason I do have issue with the lifetime carry permit. However, I do have one and would never call my legislator about promoting a bill that would restrict my or anyones 2a rights.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    It's very possible, however the point wasn't to delve into that story. Only to point out two things. One being that even though you have had history of mental health treatment, it doesn't necessarily exclude you from obtaining a LCTH. Second, not everyone that is legally capable of obtaining firearms and LCTH will maintain full capacity of their well being and with it, legal eligibility to purchase/carry firearms.

For the latter reason I do have issue with the lifetime carry permit. However, I do have one and would never call my legislator about promoting a bill that would restrict my or anyones 2a rights.

I'm with you on all your points. Well stated and solid advice. :yesway:

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    How many people have gone thru a little depression, anxiety, mood swings, etc due to the passing of a loved one, lost of job, divorce and so on?

I would dare to say most people go thru some of those situation in their lifetime. Now, how many of those people do the right thing a seek help? Why get punished for doing the right thing?

My daughter went thru a bit of depression when her husband was sent to Iraq the first time. She went to a therapist and got some help. How would she answer the question?

The answers are all over the place because the question is not very clear. I'll tell you this much, If that LEO with multiple personalities is able to carry any type of firearms, the I should have nothing to worry about for a little anxiety treatment.

Just saying..........

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i had this same issue when i applied for mine. i was treated for general depression when i was in college. i asked my local PD about that question, as I was last treated over 5 years ago and the MD was in a different state! the PD explained that while the intent of the question was more for being committed, the wording of the question requires 100% truthful answer on ANY emotional/mental treatment.

i had to call a doc i hadnt seen in 5 years and ask him to write a letter saying vouching for me. and to my surprise, he did! he faxed a small note with his letterhead made out to the ISP and my local PD and i was set. it did take me a bit longer to get my LTCH because of it, but i was approved. :)

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I'd like to thank everyone who has posted a reply to this question. I know that is not an easy one to answer since most of us, I assume, are not Lawyers.

I do hope that if we have some Lawyers here, that they would put together a little article giving some insight on this topic.

I'm sure that would be appreciated by many members who have the same question but are kinda afraid to ask. Then it should also be added to the FAQ'S.

In my case I decided to call the sheriff here in Lake County and ask him. My wife knows him personally so it shouldn't be to hard to get in touch with him. I'll be back with an update once I get his input.

Alegre.

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    When you get the letter from your doctor, I would have him put on there how long he has been treating you. That way they know you didn't "shop around"for a Quack.

Top Bottom