• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Seriously...you are going to worry about whether a LEO can run your serial number or not? Here is my advice:

1. Don't do anything that would result in you getting pulled over in the first place. (its not rocket surgery...err, whatever)

2. If you are stopped and asked for your gun, simply comply with the request and if you don't like it, file a formal complaint with the supervisor later.

3. Don't be a jerk. Be polite and respectful. If you are rude and disrespectful, the stop can turn out very bad for you. Remember, An armed society is a polite society.

Yeah, it is a pain for an officer to ask for your gun, run the serial, and return it to you with the ammo removed. But if you are stubborn, obstinate, rude and disrespectful, guess what...the LEO is going to make the stop just that much worse for you. He can take 30 minutes to run a check for warrants. He can just sit in his car and wait. He can completely disassemble your gun. Is that fair? Absolutely not. But it is reality.

I have to laugh at all the posters who say "Well I would do this..." Go ahead. Then you can go ahead and post the story here about how you were treated unfairly, etc. Because I can tell you right now, its not going to turn out well for you. Just my .02

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    OK, I will rephrase the question. Other than trying to trick a LEO into a legal technicality, why would one put tape over their firearms serial number?

I think that's the first time that I heard of the right protected by the 4th amendment be referred to as a legal technicality.

Seriously...you are going to worry about whether a LEO can run your serial number or not? Here is my advice:

1. Don't do anything that would result in you getting pulled over in the first place. (its not rocket surgery...err, whatever)

2. If you are stopped and asked for your gun, simply comply with the request and if you don't like it, file a formal complaint with the supervisor later.

3. Don't be a jerk. Be polite and respectful. If you are rude and disrespectful, the stop can turn out very bad for you. Remember, An armed society is a polite society.

Yeah, it is a pain for an officer to ask for your gun, run the serial, and return it to you with the ammo removed. But if you are stubborn, obstinate, rude and disrespectful, guess what...the LEO is going to make the stop just that much worse for you. He can take 30 minutes to run a check for warrants. He can just sit in his car and wait. He can completely disassemble your gun. Is that fair? Absolutely not. But it is reality.

I have to laugh at all the posters who say "Well I would do this..." Go ahead. Then you can go ahead and post the story here about how you were treated unfairly, etc. Because I can tell you right now, its not going to turn out well for you. Just my .02

Am I worried that an officer can run my serial number? Nope not really. Do I want one to run it just because they feel like it or it's policy? Nope. Just like I don't want them searching the trunk of my car, or the glove box/console or my home or....

1. You mean like walking home after work? Having a headlight go out on the way to work? Going to work in a snow storm and being stopped because the license plate had snow on it? Driving to a friends house and being stopped because your younger and it's late? Being stopped because the officer saw a vehicle similar to yours at a party earlier?

2. If that is what you want to do fine. For myself I might tell the officer I don't consent to any searches/seizures and I will not comply but I will not forcibly resist if he/she chooses to go against my wish.

3.I'm polite and respectful, if I'm treated the same. And even usually if I'm not. But telling an officer you don't consent to any searches is not being rude.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I do hate that they will typically unload EVERYTHING. I dont want to spend five minutes loading 37 rounds. God forbid the officer drops a round (high quality HPs are like $.25/round at least!).
    Don't know where you get your ammo but keep it up, I'm paying about $25 for a box of 20 Corbon .40 s&w 135gr, that works out to $1.25/round!!!:crying:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think that's the first time that I heard of the right protected by the 4th amendment be referred to as a legal technicality.

Am I worried that an officer can run my serial number? Nope not really. Do I want one to run it just because they feel like it or it's policy? Nope. Just like I don't want them searching the trunk of my car, or the glove box/console or my home or....

1. You mean like walking home after work? Having a headlight go out on the way to work? Going to work in a snow storm and being stopped because the license plate had snow on it? Driving to a friends house and being stopped because your younger and it's late? Being stopped because the officer saw a vehicle similar to yours at a party earlier?

2. If that is what you want to do fine. For myself I might tell the officer I don't consent to any searches/seizures and I will not comply but I will not forcibly resist if he/she chooses to go against my wish.

3.I'm polite and respectful, if I'm treated the same. And even usually if I'm not. But telling an officer you don't consent to any searches is not being rude.

Well said! :yesway:

Joeyidgaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Indiana
    Indiana law does not require you to voluntarily inform the officer that you are carrying a firearm. That does not mean, however, that you should lie if asked.

Some people choose to inform the officer immediately during a traffic stop. Others choose to only inform if they were to be asked to get out of the car, where its accidental discovery could be an issue. Others will not inform under any circumstances.

In any case, if the officer does have knowledge of your firearm, he may run the serial number to check if its stolen. He may not.

Top Bottom