• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    My Birth certificate has my full name including mother's maiden but in my DL I have the shorter version of my name, or JR instead of mother's maiden.

I'm ready to apply for my LTCH but I'm unsure as to which form of my name I should use. If I put down my full name as per BC and SS# and they ask for an ID, it won't match :(

Advise?

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I would use the name on your driver's license. That's what I did.

As far as I'm concerned, my legal name is my first, middle initial, and last. I've rarely been asked to sign anything using my middle name. Mortgage documents maybe.

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Use the name you use to file taxes.

I would use the name on your driver's license. That's what I did.

As far as I'm concerned, my legal name is my first, middle initial, and last. I've rarely been asked to sign anything using my middle name. Mortgage documents maybe.

I use the name on my DL for filling taxes, banking etc....so I guess the DL name it is. I hope that doesn't cause any delays......

Thanks!

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Does the notation on the application: "I affirm that I have not identified myself legally or otherwise by any other names except the names indicated here." makes a difference in my case?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Pulled up the form... Looks like they have boxes for your legal name (First, Middle, Last, Suffix (eg: JR)). Then they have a box for other names (AKA, Alias, nicknames, etc...).

If MUST mark that "I affirm" box to submit the form.

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Yes, I guess putting my legal name (the one on my SS and BC) and the name I use for everything else (JR) is the way to do it. Now I have to figure out which one to put where :D

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Crap....I still can't decide which name to use!!! I can't believe I'm stuck on the very first, and what should be the easiest, question of the application :dunno:

JimboCX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I would use what you use on your DL. If there are any issues you will receive a letter if you get denied. It should tell you why you were denied. After that you will have a chance to appeal.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Crap....I still can't decide which name to use!!! I can't believe I'm stuck on the very first, and what should be the easiest, question of the application :dunno:

Were I in your position, I would call ISP Firearms Licensing and ask them. They are the experts and know what they want on there.

Firearms Licensing Section 317-232-8264

Good luck!

Blessings,
    Bill

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I would use what you use on your DL. If there are any issues you will receive a letter if you get denied. It should tell you why you were denied. After that you will have a chance to appeal.

I'd rather not have to deal with denial appeals.

Were I in your position, I would call ISP Firearms Licensing and ask them. They are the experts and know what they want on there.

Firearms Licensing Section 317-232-8264

Good luck!

Blessings,
    Bill

That's exactly what I needed. I will give them a call, thank you! :)

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    In case anyone else has the same question, I called the ISP Firearms Licensing as Bill suggested and after being on hold for a few minutes, the very helpful lady came back and said that I should use the name on the DL but leave out the JR.

She said they don't recognize Sr, Jr, etc . I didn't ask anything further but I do wonder why the app has a place for a Suffix. Anyone with a SR, Jr on their LTCH?

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    In case anyone else has the same question, I called the ISP Firearms Licensing as Bill suggested and after being on hold for a few minutes, the very helpful lady came back and said that I should use the name on the DL but leave out the JR.

She said they don't recognize Sr, Jr, etc . I didn't ask anything further but I do wonder why the app has a place for a Suffix. Anyone with a SR, Jr on their LTCH?

I don't, but there was a guy on the LTCH wait thread some time back that had waited like 6 months or something, even with a clean record. When he finally got in touch with someone at ISP, he was told that his app was put in the "further review" pile for criminal background. Turns out he is a Jr and his father, the Sr, has an arrest record.

So apparently, they don't look at the suffix.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Not only do they not look at JR or Sr, they don't put it on your LTCH either. Every 4 year license I had was missing the JR. When I got my lifetime, it is also missing the JR. I called and questioned the descrepancy and they said they don't care that the name on my LTCH doesn't match my drivers license. They "think" they can tell the difference between me and my father because of the difference in birthdates.

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Thanks for the extra info guys!!

I guess I better get ready for a long wait because even though my record is pristine my father, who I share the same name, has an awful criminal record from when he was younger.

At least now I know how to fill my application which is exactly what I'm going to do right away.

Top Bottom