• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Hi everyone,

I hope this is in the right forum- couldn't decide between this one and the law/politics one...

Anyway, I want to apply for a lifetime LTCH next week. I was looking at an online application and there is a question about "mental illness" that has me nervous as well as confused?

I have ADHD, take medication for it, and see a doctor (psychiatrist) every three months for medication check ups. My doc considers it more of a physiology issue rather than a "mental illness" but my insurance provides no coverage for my medication because it does not cover "mental illness".

So to me it's a toss up as to how to answer the question. Boils down to brain physiology or mental illness depending upon the source.

Any ideas on what I should do? I prefer to be honest, which is why I am asking for input here on an Indiana specific forum. I know my doctor would do whatever I needed (letter, phone call, etc), but I have an issue of claiming a "mental illness" when neither my doctor, nor myself, feel it is such.

I do know that the medication I take is class 2 and therefore tracked in a statewide database.

I'm leaning towards full disclosure, but I am not happy with the "label".

Any input would be appreciated.

Snap

Last edited:

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    If you have not been legally committed by the courts for mental treatment, I don't think you have anything to worry about, and I don't think you need to disclose that.

One of my daughters has ADHD, so I feel for you. I don't consider her mentally ill either, she has a 147 IQ. :D

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Hmmm.. that's a good question! I stop to think about it and there's a lot of things that could be called a "mental illness"..

Legal Eagles?? Anybody?? I really don't know..

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    IIRC, it's listed in the DSM-IV as a mental illness, but if that's the criterion, then all kinds of things are "mental illnesses". You could call ISP (anonymously, from a public phone) and ask for a ruling, or you could get a letter from your doc for your own files, attesting to his opinion that what you have is physiology, not mental illness, and that's why you didn't declare it. If you do this, get that letter, put it in an envelope to yourself and seal it, then mail it. When it comes in, leave it in the sealed envelope with the visible postmark and cancellation as proof of when it was written. A second copy in the doctor's copy of your chart would be good backup.

Personally, I think I'd go that route. It's usually easier to get forgiveness than permission. Besides, who's the authority on mental illness? ISP or a psychiatrist/MD?

Blessings,
    B

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    Checkout the IN codes regarding this subject: Indiana Code 35-47-14

Pathetically, especially in this supposedly enlightened age, there is still a primitive, socially reinforced stigma that haunts even those who have made the rational decision to voluntarily consult a psychiatrist.

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    IC 12-7-2-130
    Mental illness
    Sec. 130. "Mental illness" means the following:
    (1) For purposes of IC 12-23-5, IC 12-24, and IC 12-26, a psychiatric disorder that:
    (A) substantially disturbs an individual's thinking, feeling, or behavior; and
    (B) impairs the individual's ability to function.
    The term includes mental retardation, alcoholism, and addiction to narcotics or dangerous drugs.
    (2) For purposes of IC 12-28-4 and IC 12-28-5, a psychiatric disorder that:
    (A) substantially disturbs an individual's thinking, feeling, or behavior; and (B) impairs the individual's ability to function.
    The term does not include developmental disabilty.
    As added by P.L.2-1992, SEC.1.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    If your doctor considers ADHD physiological then you can, in good faith, state that you have no mental illness. Period, end of story!

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    If your doctor considers ADHD physiological then you can, in good faith, state that you have no mental illness. Period, end of story!

And if the doctor considers this, or any other diagnosed disorder psychological, the patient can obtain a signed statement from them stating that the patient is neither a menace to themselves or anyone else. Simply send this document with your LTCH paperwork, and you will be good to go.

Snap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Best thing to do is contact a lawyer maybe?

That's a good idea- I believe I remember a lafayette attny who posts on another forum, maybe I'll give him a call.

I noticed in your sig that you're a small business owner- me too. Well, we're a start-up, I won't consider us a "business" until we make a sale. :D

Whatever I find out I'll pass it along in case your daughter ever decides to apply for the same.

Snap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Somehow I missed seeing the posts after Gryphon's first?

Anyway, that is some good information! I am going to call my doc on Monday before I apply, just to make sure he knows what's up.

I can't even begin to thank you guys for the information you provided- much appreciated.

I'll update the post as the process unfolds as I don't think I'm the only one who may find this info useful.

Thanks again!
    Snap

Snap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Snap, what kind of startup business are you involved in?? Just out of curiosity ..

Hey Bubbajms!

The start-up is built around an adjustable fastener that was designed and patented several years ago. We've been around for 4 years- the first two to get the design nailed down, the last two trying to get it manufactured consistently. First shipment arrives...TOMORROW! :D

Snap

rcuhljr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Carmel
    I went ahead and sent my doctor a request for a cessation of treatment letter, I saw him after my dad died about 6 years ago for a couple of months. Better safe then sorry I don't want any snags when I apply.

Snap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I went ahead and sent my doctor a request for a cessation of treatment letter, I saw him after my dad died about 6 years ago for a couple of months. Better safe then sorry I don't want any snags when I apply.

That's a good idea if you don't see him/her anymore.

I'm inclined to agree with the "better to ask for forgiveness, than permission" camp and will make sure my doctor is behind me should a need arise for his involvement.

Snap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Update: Spoke to local police who in turn said to speak with State Police. Maed the call and spoke with a very nice lady who informed me that they want to know if you are seeing a doctor for anything related to mental health- stress, ADHD, depression, etc. and if you are taking medication for it they want that info as well.

She was very clear that it was NOT disqualifying and that all I would need is a letter from my doc stating what I see him for, what medication I am on, and that I am not a danger to myself or others and good to go for the permit.

Thanks for all of the advice. I feel better after talking with them and being 100% on the up and up.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom