• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think this is the right forum for this question. If not, please relocate it.

My kids will be 18 & 19 this year. If memory serves. They are eligible to get their LTCH @ 18. So, I was thinking of paying for their lifetime LTCH's as birthday presents this year.

Looking for issues regarding this idea... Good idea? Bad idea? Yeah buts?

Im sure it won't be something they take advantage of right away, but I would think it's something they may appreciate in the not to distant future.

Thanks.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I guess only you can answer that question as we dont know how mature your kids are.Sometimes its not because you can legally do something that you shouldnt wait longer to do it.
    Maybe talk with their mom too.
    If they are into guns and mature enough to carry them in your opinion then I think its a great gift.
    Maybe talk to them to see what they think.
    You wouldnt spoil anything since you cant just give them the pink paper for their birthday as they will have to apply themselfs and such.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    My daughter was ready at 18 to carry and we not only paid for her LTCH we bought her a handgun to carry around.

She was tickled pink over it.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I would definitely pay for a class too. One of the classes about the legal aspects, I know several members/supporters here offer them.

johenz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Indianapols, IN
    I paid for one of my oldest two boys. One as a birthday/Christmas gift when he turned 20. I'll help pay for a gun once he gets some training. The other got his LTCH for a graduation gift from HS last summer and I gave him my RIA tactical as a graduation from basic training/Christmas/birthday gift. My youngest son will never have an LTCH as far as I'm concerned since he messes around with controlled substances.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Ok, I must be ignorant on this subject so fill me in here please but I thought you had to be 21 to legally own a handgun.?

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    As in any license, there comes responsibility. You would be the one to know and teach responsibilities. I think it would be an excellent gift.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ok, I must be ignorant on this subject so fill me in here please but I thought you had to be 21 to legally own a handgun.?

If memory serves...I'm reasonably sure the state of Indiana allows you to posses a fire arm and obtain a LTCH at 18. There may br a federal thing about not allowing the purchasie of a firearm until 21. There are better experts on these things on here than me though.

Mad Man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    LaPorte County
    A few years back I got my wife and son each a lifetime for Christmas. My daughter is getting one from me here real soon! It's the gift that keeps on giving.

johenz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Indianapols, IN
    By Federal law, you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun. You may own and carry at 18 in Indiana. Here's the really wierd part, federal law also restricts the sale of ammo for handguns to those 21 and older, so every time my kid goes to buy ammo, he has to tell them he has a rifle chambered in .45 ACP.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

By Federal law, you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun.

No. Federal law only restricts FFLs from selling handguns to anyone under 21.

Age 18-20 can legally purchase handguns (and ammo for handguns) from anyone but an FFL unless their state law prohibits it.

TotinOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Hancock Co.
    So we have the legal aspect (prev. posts above)...:yesway:

But IMO, you need to also consider their ability at 18 to logically react to stressful situations, control impulses, and understand the behaviors of others. Besides, "they" say that the frontal lobes don't fully develop until 25!:n00b:
    Perhaps you should interrogate them with the "what if...?" scenarios beforehand. :dunno:

I understand that you're not putting a gun in their belt for a present, but just licensing them. The license is a good idea for transporting to a range, but I would not allow them direct access to a gun to carry at 18. :draw:
    Again, just my opinion! Peace and good luck!!!

Top Bottom