• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    i've got a close friend that i got involved in shooting that im trying to help obtain a LTCH. she has no criminal record but was admitted to a psychiatric facility for a period i believe of less than one month.. approx 4 years ago and was under age at the time. On the form it states "submit documentation/recommendation from treating mental health professional or treatment center." I figure they want all documentation possible but how specific of a recommendation are they looking for. should it state that she is fit to carry a firearm or something along those lines? and what circumstances regarding the situation would go in her favor or against? i appreciate any help and wouldn't be asking if i didn't fully trust her with a firearm.

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    I think that you could get by with a letter from her shrink that states that she is not a danger to herself or anyone else. try to get it on the letterhead for his office. However, I don't know anybody that has gone through this process. You might also want to call the state police office that processes the license and see what they say. Good luck.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    What were the circumstances of the shooting? Did she "go crazy" and shoot someone, or was it a self-defense situation? Those questions will be asked by ISP when deciding whether or not to issue her a LTCH.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    i've got a close friend that i got involved in shooting that im trying to help obtain a LTCH.

What were the circumstances of the shooting? Did she "go crazy" and shoot someone, or was it a self-defense situation? Those questions will be asked by ISP when deciding whether or not to issue her a LTCH.

I thought same thing when I first read the opening post. I now think the OP met he introduced his friend to shooting. At least I hope that is right...

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    As long as her shrink can submit some kind of documentation saying she is of a sound mind and cured of her condition or whatever the situation was it should not be an issue. Probably just don't want a gun license given out to someone who is unstable.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    A slight edit of Frank's question: What were the terms of her stay in the psych facility? Was it a voluntary admit or was she court-ordered to be admitted? If the latter, it may be more difficult for her, however a letter from her shrink (or if more pro-gun, her family doc) should be helpful. Yes, though, do give ISP a call on Monday. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    it was voluntary. i looked into ISP's FAQ it answered some concerns but led me to more haha so i'm going to have her call them and get the final word on a few concerns. and proceed accordingly. The FAQ stated you can send the documents for them to look over and make an evaluation AND/OR a recommendation. the recommendation im assuming would be a final say as it requires:

-a brief description of the problem,
    -dates of treatment,
    -past/current treatment/meds,
    -statement that the individual signing the document has read all of the mental health history on the person
    - the person identified no indication of a propensity for violent or emotionally unstable conduct
    -and that the professional is recommending issuance of the LTCH

i'm thinking that the psych will either decline to write her a recommendation based on personal liability or it will cost a pretty penny and some serious explanation of gun laws and her intentions with one to get it.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I know a couple of people that had similar situations.
    All it took was a letter from their doc. No problems at all.

If I remember correctly, one of them did mention that their doc had them sign off on liability.

Top Bottom