LTCH, knives and other weapons questions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What kind of weapon can you carry with a LTCH?

I know that some other state have a CCW permit so they can carry knives, peper spray, police batons and of course handguns.
    The LTCH being for handguns and not for "concealed weapons" you can only carry a handgun right?

In another thread I learned that in Indiana you can carry knives concealed, foldling or fixed blade no matter the size just by being over 18 of age.Is that true?

So if I already have the right to carry those items without a LTCH I can still carry them if I do have a LTCH?

Tell me if im right ...
    I can carry those items: Folding knife, fixed blade knife, Peper spray, Police baton without a LTCH and the LTCH is only needed to carry a handgun.Right?

:dunno:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You do not have to be 18 to carry the other things such as knives/pepper spray/baton etc., under state law. Local ordinances may vary. And that includes by those over 18.

And one other thing I'll put below.

You are right, LTCH only pertains to handguns

And tasers and electronic stun weapons require a LTCH to carry.
    IC 35-47-8-4
    Applicability of handgun provisions
    Sec. 4. IC 35-47-2 applies to an electronic stun weapon or taser.
    Indiana Code 35-47-8

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You are correct. However, be careful as it pertains to fixed blades. Although carrying any fixed blade you want is allowed under state law, some municipalities may have ordinances to the contrary on the books. As far as I know, preemption regarding the law only applies to GUNS, which means any unit can regulate knives however they want.

As far as I'm concerned, any cop that gives you a hard time for carrying a fixed blade while you're carrying a handgun with a LTCH is a worthless POS. But my opinion of those particular individuals certainly won't do anything towards convincing them how misguided they are.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    You are correct. However, be careful as it pertains to fixed blades. Although carrying any fixed blade you want is allowed under state law, some municipalities may have ordinances to the contrary on the books. As far as I know, preemption regarding the law only applies to GUNS, which means any unit can regulate knives however they want.

As far as I'm concerned, any cop that gives you a hard time for carrying a fixed blade while you're carrying a handgun with a LTCH is a worthless POS. But my opinion of those particular individuals certainly won't do anything towards convincing them how misguided they are.

Looks like we need an OC fixed blade day.......maybe down town Indy ....say the city market area. :D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I for one find it hilarious that I can carry a concealed loaded handgun but can not even posses an automatic knife without committing a class D felony....

I know I have no idea what drug they take to come up with stupid laws like that.
    I carry a double edged fixed blade and a folding knife that I can open just as fast as my little 3" blade OTF knife.
    I have to leave the OTF knife at home because if I believe the law its way more dangerous than any other knife or weapon out there.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

OTF=Out The Front, that's a kind of automatic knife.
    This model is a double-action.
    It's fun to play with and its way more dangerous than a semi-automatic handgun, that's why the law doesnt allow you to carry it.

I guess since it's automatic they thought it was more dangerous than a handgun who is only semi-automatic.
    :ugh:

fw4LLETq08NztWQ.jpg

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I guess since it's automatic they thought it was more dangerous than a handgun who is only semi-automatic.

Hilarious, I love it!

The whole OTF thing makes me laugh. I was with a friend a few years ago, and we got pulled over. The Goshen cop did his spiel about weapons, and my friend fessed up to having a knife in the car. The cop asked to see it, and my friend handed it over (mistake number six or seven at this point, but we wont focus on that). It was a really nice OFT that my friend had bought while on a trip to South America. Hand carved, looked like it would have cost several hundred dollars in the States. He payed $2 for it! Anyways, the cop lectured us for 15 minutes on how illegal the knife was, but then still returned it because he was so impressed with the craftsmanship on it. He told my friend to just keep it at home, because it would be a shame if it ever got confiscated and destroyed.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    OTF=Out The Front, that's a kind of automatic knife.
    This model is a double-action.
    It's fun to play with and its way more dangerous than a semi-automatic handgun, that's why the law doesnt allow you to carry it.

fw4LLETq08NztWQ.jpg

That's what I thought.

I hope you know that knife is not just illegal to carry, it's illegal to possess in IN.

IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.

Notice the italicized & bolded part. Just owning it is illegal.

You might not want to pass it around that you have it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That's what I thought.

I hope you know that knife is not just illegal to carry, it's illegal to possess in IN.

Notice the italicized & bolded part. Just owning it is illegal.

You might not want to pass it around that you have it.

Wow thanks for the info.
    I didnt know the law was so messed up that you couldnt even own it in Indiana.I dont think that people who made this law ever saw an OTF knife.
    Lot's of people believe (thanks to movies) that you can open and stab someone with the force of the spring which is not true at all.
    I can open open the blade against my hand and that just stops it.
    But anyway I have no problem to say that I own one.
    I do not own it in Indiana, I have it at my second home in a country where its legal to own auto knives.I just bought it at my local knife shop. :D
    100% legal! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom