• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    As long as you don't plan on shooting me with it, I don't need to know if you have it.

And given the statistics regarding crime of all kind (much less, firearm-involved/violent crime) committed by licensed carriers (and unlicensed carriers in constitutional carry states), knowledge that a person has an LTCH is pretty much prima facie evidence that said person is not planning on shooting you.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    And given the statistics regarding crime of all kind (much less, firearm-involved/violent crime) committed by licensed carriers (and unlicensed carriers in constitutional carry states), knowledge that a person has an LTCH is pretty much prima facie evidence that said person is not planning on shooting you.
    I need to find the citation again, but I recall seeing that licensed carriers are even less likely (strictly statistically speaking) to commit a major crime than sworn law enforcement officers. Kinda blew my mind.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I need to find the citation again, but I recall seeing that licensed carriers are even less likely (strictly statistically speaking) to commit a major crime than sworn law enforcement officers. Kinda blew my mind.

I believe the most accurate data come from Texas and Florida. See the Crime Prevention Research Center (John Lott):

Comparing conviction rates between police and concealed carry permit holders - Crime Prevention Research CenterCrime Prevention Research Center

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    That is correct so that begs the question which one should really be disarmed at that traffic stop.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Is this it?

Gun Facts | Gun Control, Guns and Crime Prevention

Fact: 11% of police shootings kill an innocent person — about 2% of shootings by citizens kill an innocent person. [SUP]15[/SUP]
    Fact: Police have trouble keeping their own guns. Hundreds of firearms are missing from the FBI and 449 of them have been involved in crimes. [SUP]16[/SUP]

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Think you guys found it.

"Sorry, Officer. I'm going to have to ask you to step away from my vehicle and keep your hands where I can see them. I am going to remove your side arm, unload, and field strip it. It will be on the hood of your squad car when we are done. This is for both your and my safety. I just want us to get home to our families. Now about that stop sign I rolled..."

:laugh:

No, I'm not actually advocating that. I think. Maybe, I dunno. I DO expect an AAR from both the sides (well, after your arrest hearing)!

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Is it acceptable to keep your original LTCH in a safe at home but keep laminated copies in your wallet, car, etc? Would a LEO accept the copy as burden of proof even though it's not the original?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Is it acceptable to keep your original LTCH in a safe at home but keep laminated copies in your wallet, car, etc? Would a LEO accept the copy as burden of proof even though it's not the original?

They only need the number or your personal info to verify that you are licensed, so any method of providing this would meet the requirement of the law.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is my understanding that yes, an copy (preferably on pink paper) is sufficient. My original is in the safe. Laminated copies are in my wallet and range bag.

LE may or may not accept anything at all. It varies widely. The closest I have been is a simple "You got a license for that?", to which I simply said "Yes" and it was over. On the flip side, folks have been detained even after presenting a valid permission slip, and had to sit tight until LE called and verified, and then got a "talking to" anyway.

IMHO (and the whole point of the thread) is that the physical pink slip itself is of little consequence. If you do or don't have it, and LE thinks you are illegal, they will call it in either way. If you do or don't have it, and LE isn't concerned, then you are fine either way. So, while I do have my license in my wallet, I don't fret if I am out and about w/o my wallet, but with my handgun.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    It is my understanding that yes, an copy (preferably on pink paper) is sufficient.
    My apologies for not noting that I actually don't have my LTCH, yet. I am currently in the application process (fingerprinting is tomorrow). According to the ISP website, there is a new plastic cards instead of the paper pink ones. I have not physically seen one yet, but I get the impression that the new card is still pink, but is double sided, has rounded corners and has the state emblem on it in color. Making a laminated, paper copy would obviously not be an original. I would prefer to have my credentials with me, but worry about a lost/stolen card and waiting for a replacement. I could always just get a second card from the get-go, but they still cost $20.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    My wallet (and LTCH) is an extension of me just as my clothes are...my LTCH is always on me, so I don't have to worry about it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Just a reminder that a note to your state Senator and state Representative in favor of passing Constitutional Carry and in favor of ending GFZs at and below the state level would be even better than arguing about whether or not you have to have a piece of pink paper or a piece of pink plastic on your person because you happen to be in possession of a handgun.

The session starts in less than two months... NOW is the time to write to them.

And yes, for ATM's benefit, I'll repeat that the time is NOW!

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom