• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan
    This may be a silly question, but I have been told that to carry a loaded handgun it must be regestered to the person carrying. Also is there a way to check a handgun your self to see if it is on some kind of "wanted list" before you buy one.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You should read the FAQ! :D (See my sig) Indiana has no gun registration whatsoever. If you want to "run the serial number", you might be able to ask your local PD.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    This may be a silly question, but I have been told that to carry a loaded handgun it must be regestered to the person carrying. Also is there a way to check a handgun your self to see if it is on some kind of "wanted list" before you buy one.

You're right... silly question :rolleyes:

I'm just kidding....

Ain't nothing wrong with getting the advice from members here...

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    There are no silly questions, only silly people.

To carry a handgun in Indiana all you need to do is

1) Buy handgun (From an individual, friend, shop, gun show, online...)
    2) apply for License to carry handgun (LTCH) (lifetime preferred)
    3) Carry gun however you wish (open, concealed, on your head... whatever)

Steps 1 & 2 can be reversed, but step 3 cannot happen until steps 1 & 2 are complete (except for a few exceptions, like bringing a handgun directly from the gun store to your home)

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Back when I lived in the communist republic of New York State, if one desired to own or carry a handgun, it had to be registered and listed on the permit. That is after you spent a great deal of time, effort, frustration and money for the licensing process. No such thing as picking up your gun the same time as you buy it even with or with out having the permit. (Not at all possible to purchase without). After you purchase your handgun, you leave the gun at the shop and take the reciept to the sheriff station (only one per county) and they register it to your permit, then you can go back to the shop and pick up your gun. It is pretty interesting how they have a considerably higher violent crime rate than Indiana. Shows what a good idea gun those laws are. :nuts:

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Deepest, darkest, Indiana
    As of a couple years ago GARY cops were confiscating handguns carried by legal permit holders if they didn't have the original purchase receipt on their person. This is not BS, rumor, conjecture, etc.. Guns could be recovered from police dept. if a copy of orig. receipt could be obtained from orig. seller. During the period of the '94 high cap ban, magazines of that type were confiscated (forever)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    As of a couple years ago GARY cops were confiscating handguns carried by legal permit holders if they didn't have the original purchase receipt on their person. This is not BS, rumor, conjecture, etc.. Guns could be recovered from police dept. if a copy of orig. receipt could be obtained from orig. seller. During the period of the '94 high cap ban, magazines of that type were confiscated (forever)
    I don't believe it! If this indeed is happening, it would be in the news, and SOMEONE would have filed suit by now. As stated by Donnelly, there WOULD be a rebellion. The NRA would have been all over this. I suppose they are also confiscating vehicles from people who do not have a bill of sale with them.

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    O.K. , call me a lier. Call Westforth's gun shop in Gary or Blythes in Griffith and see how many requests were made for copies of receipts to reclaim confiscated guns. Do you think the NRA would involve themselves in a lawsuit with a city like GARY that has zero funds to compensate with.

Last edited:

crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan
    thanks for the input. most of it was verry helpfull. I thought it didnt matter if it was regestered to the actuall person but I wanted to be sure, and figured this would be the best place to find out for sure

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    O.K. AHole's, call me a lier. Call Westforth's gun shop in Gary or Blythes in Griffith and see how many requests were made for copies of receipts to reclaim confiscated guns. Do you think the NRA would involve themselves in a lawsuit with a city like GARY that has zero funds to compensate with.

:laugh: The NRA doesnt file suits to sue and make money... thats why us members pay our dues.... they would file a suit based on either indiana or federal constitutions and the the policy reversed in gary.... I dont believe that this happened either..... care to cite your sources? other than telling us to "call a gunshop" what proof do you have? any members from gary on here that can comment on this? it would have AT LEAST been in the local papers

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    O.K. AHole's, call me a lier. Call Westforth's gun shop in Gary or Blythes in Griffith and see how many requests were made for copies of receipts to reclaim confiscated guns. Do you think the NRA would involve themselves in a lawsuit with a city like GARY that has zero funds to compensate with.

Pardon me for jumping in, but....

It's not so much calling you a liar as it is that this is pretty extreme. I don't doubt that it could be true; in Gary, it would not surprise me at all, in fact. That said, though, it's kind of like when people are told (sometimes by LEOs, sometimes not) that, for example, "open carry ain't legal here!" or a thread a while back that "switchblades are legal if you only have one arm". The replies to both were "Citation?" meaning to quote the IC that makes this true. You giving gun shop names is a good start on that, too.

I don't think the "I DON'T BELIEVE IT!" was meant personally, as in disbelieving YOU, but more likely finding it difficult to believe that the state of our citizenry has fallen to such a low.

Blessings,
    Bill

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    I deleted the posterior reference as it was pretty extreme. I apologize. I've been in Blythes, Shemas, and Westforth's several times when people came in looking for receipt copies to satisfy the police and retrieve guns. These stores were charging for these copies if the person could not come up with a purchse date. When Hatcher was mayor wasn't a Chicago type gun ban in effect in Gary?

dman424

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    In Indiana as long as your CCW is valid, you can carry any non class 3 weapon of your choice, purchased from a dealer or from any other law abiding citizen with no inrastate paperwork transfer of any kind.

Top Bottom