• Status
    Not open for further replies.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm sorry if I come off as a prick, but you don't understand what's going on. It would be expensive for every county to design their own system for delivering and displaying court records online. Most clerks have a computer(s) that individuals can use free of charge to examine court records, the draw back is that you must visit the clerks office, and they charge you per page to print any documents.

The Federal Courts are large enough to operate their own system, PACER, they provide online access to court documents and charge around .10 cents per page to view or print. State and local courts are smaller and would have a difficult time funding such a service, this is where private companies have stepped in. They provide the technology and spread the cost across several court systems to make it economically viable. In this case the service provider for Vigo county is Doxpop. You act like it's some untrusted third party that might have questionable data, they're an official provider and listed on the Vigo county clerks website. Private service providers have a wide range of fees, some charge by the page, some by the docket, while others have a monthly fee. In the case of Doxpop they provide a free account to general members of the public that has a limited amount of views per month.

Stop acting like it's some flyby night background check site with one free search.

Thanks for the information. I tried the Vigo County court website and kept running in circles. Ditto for trying to find applicable news reports in the Tribune Star. My point was not to suggest that the service was disreputable but rather that the standard has consistently been for those making assertions to at least provide a link to the information they are citing as opposed to expecting others to start cold on their own research to confirm someone else's claim.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    blue_threadlock-550x475.jpg

Sean

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Thanks for the information. I tried the Vigo County court website and kept running in circles. Ditto for trying to find applicable news reports in the Tribune Star. My point was not to suggest that the service was disreputable but rather that the standard has consistently been for those making assertions to at least provide a link to the information they are citing as opposed to expecting others to start cold on their own research to confirm someone else's claim.

I can agree with that, however he did provide the name of the service. Maybe he should have done that at the beginning. I have mixed feelings on it, I'm sure if he knew the conversation would go this way he probably would have. Once it started down this road he named it. Those services make it almost impossible to provide a direct link. He would have been left with posting the case number, or the charges directly to the forum. I personally would have no problem posting either, however I can see why some wouldn't given the fact that the OP didn't post the information. My logic is if you're not comfortable with that information being out don't post anything about it at all, public records are exactly that, public, you must protect yourself first. If you open the door someone will eventually use any details provided to research it on their own.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom