• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chewylax8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Wife just received her LTCH in the mail! :draw: Time to find her something fun to carry (she is leaning towards the LCP).

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The LCP is a fine little pistol, but not really a good choice for the un-experienced. Another option in that size is the S&W Bodyguard .380, about the same size, just a bit more weight. My wife has the S&W, I carry the LCP. Shooting side by side, the LCP has a bit more felt recoil.

chewylax8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    I appreciate the feedback and recommendations. I would personally prefer it if she would carry something in 9mm, such as the CM9 or LC9, but concealability is the most important thing for her. Better to have 6 rounds of .380 on you than leaving the 9mm/.40/.45 at home.

She is actually not recoil sensitive at all, has great form for a beginner and enjoys shooting. She has tried the Keltec .380 and likes it, she just thinks the LCP is a little more refined. But the recoil did not bother her at all, even double-taps and rapid firing.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I appreciate the feedback and recommendations. I would personally prefer it if she would carry something in 9mm, such as the CM9 or LC9, but concealability is the most important thing for her. Better to have 6 rounds of .380 on you than leaving the 9mm/.40/.45 at home.

She is actually not recoil sensitive at all, has great form for a beginner and enjoys shooting. She has tried the Keltec .380 and likes it, she just thinks the LCP is a little more refined. But the recoil did not bother her at all, even double-taps and rapid firing.

IF she does get the LCP, and has no hand strength issues racking the slide, I would recommmend upgrading the marginal recoil spring to a 12 or 13# Wolff spring. It makes the slide/feed mechanism more reliable and seems to settle the snappy muzzle flip considerably. It was the best mod I made and made it easier for me to handle. Also, the Wolff springs are not tapered in the front and decrease the likelihood of the spring getting jammed into the little hole in the front.

Springs for RUGER LCP .380 Semi-Auto Pistols

They sell a pack with 11, 12 & 13 # springs. Try the 13#, if it's too heavy, go down to the 12, etc.

GunSlinger77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Ruger LCR .357 and LOVE it! I also have the XDM .40! I guess I couldn't decide between them! The Ruger is light and can be easily carried without anyone knowing! The only drawback is that its a revolver and you lack all of the ammo that a semi-auto has. I guess it all comes down to what she is looking for!

Sacrifice_Me

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    P238-Lady-Hero-Detail.jpg

I carry the Sig Sauer P238 and it's a beautiful gun. I have put around 200 rounds through it and not once had it misfire. Its small and easy to carry with the holster provided and is very reliable. This gun is my everyday carry. I also use a Bianchi Colt Mustang belt loop holster for it and they work great together.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian

I carry the Sig Sauer P238 and it's a beautiful gun. I have put around 200 rounds through it and not once had it misfire. Its small and easy to carry with the holster provided and is very reliable. This gun is my everyday carry. I also use a Bianchi Colt Mustang belt loop holster for it and they work great together.

Where did you find that p238?

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    My wife is stuck on her .38 special, i think its got to do in part to her dad gave it to her when she turned 21.

But she feels comfy with it, so i dont say anything...i have one too and i like it, but it isnt my EDC.

I was hoping she would like the S&W SD9....just a wee bit big though.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county

Very nice lookin gun....Kudos :rockwoot:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    The Glock26 is easily concealed (IMO anyway). It's got some muzzle flip but isn't bad on recoil.

I agree with this ^^^^^ I can conceal easily a G26, yet it is accurate and reliable.

One thing to think about is to make copies of your wife's LTCH before she signs them and gets them laminated. I have found is that it's easy to carry a gun, but I'm always forgetting my ID and LTCH. I got a small front pocket wallet(mens) and carry my ID and LTCH in my back pocket like a man. I also put a copy of my LTCH in both glove boxes of our cars and one in carry purse.

Let her explore and encourage her to carry any way she feels comfortable. Sometimes with women, how you carry depends on the situation and what you are wearing.

Congrats to the wife :yesway:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    May I suggest let her pick it out. Take her To a indoor range that has a good selection of firearms, and rent a few different ones for her to try out before you buy. I'm sure there are several that will work for her .

Top Bottom