• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    You aren't required to carry your LTCH, but the burden of proof lies on you to prove you have an LTCH if questioned by an officer about it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Burden of proof is on you. If you can verbally convince the LEO you are good, so be it. But I wouldnt put too much stock in your word against theirs. (Please note my signature. It is VERY much relevant)

Personally, I dont leave home without mine. ESPECIALLY after one particularly touchy interaction with Westfield PD. Officer couldnt verify the validity of my LTCH because ISP wouldnt answer the phone when WPD dispatch called them and wouldnt return their call. (apparently they arent tied into the computer system) I sat on the side of the road for almost 30 minutes waiting for the officer to prove my LTCH was still valid.

Had I not had the pink permission slip, it could have ruined my day/week/month/year. As it was due to the delay, the officer used his iphone to photograph my pistol with the serial visible so he could "prove that I had been carrying without a valid license that day and come to my house later" (presumably to arrest me/confiscate my gun) if dispatch finally got a return call to confirm my lifetime LTCH wasnt good." :scratch: Now imagine the situation had I not actually carried the physical copy of the LTCH; Officer with not one shred of evidence that I was legal to carry, and no response from the ISP when asked if I was legit. With that nugget of wisdom, do you still think its a good idea NOT to carry your pretty pink permission slip?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ... With that nugget of wisdom, do you still think its a good idea NOT to carry your pretty pink permission slip?

Just memorize or write the number on a dirty napkin and carry that with you. Verifying that number with ISP is the only thing the officer you encountered was going to consider proof.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I would carry it whenever possible. However, you are not required to. The sticky thing is the burden of proof that you are licensed is on you. Theoretically an officer could refuse to look it up and arrest you. Once they discover you are licensed they have to release you and destroy all records of the arrest.

Also, for the time being, they can't just stop you for no reason and request you provide your LTCH due to a recent court ruling.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Yep. Burden of proof is on you. If you can verbally convince the LEO you are good, so be it. But I wouldnt put too much stock in your word against theirs. (Please note my signature. It is VERY much relevant)

Personally, I dont leave home without mine. ESPECIALLY after one particularly touchy interaction with Westfield PD. Officer couldnt verify the validity of my LTCH because ISP wouldnt answer the phone when WPD dispatch called them and wouldnt return their call. (apparently they arent tied into the computer system) I sat on the side of the road for almost 30 minutes waiting for the officer to prove my LTCH was still valid.

Had I not had the pink permission slip, it could have ruined my day/week/month/year. As it was due to the delay, the officer used his iphone to photograph my pistol with the serial visible so he could "prove that I had been carrying without a valid license that day and come to my house later" (presumably to arrest me/confiscate my gun) if dispatch finally got a return call to confirm my lifetime LTCH wasnt good." :scratch: Now imagine the situation had I not actually carried the physical copy of the LTCH; Officer with not one shred of evidence that I was legal to carry, and no response from the ISP when asked if I was legit. With that nugget of wisdom, do you still think its a good idea NOT to carry your pretty pink permission slip?

That is an absolute nightmare of a story, and rings all the more true for me since I live in Westfield. What good is the pink card if they do not believe it to be valid? Were you respectful or argumentative with him/her?

Last edited:

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    It's nice to know I could still carry if say, I left my wallet at home, or lost it. But I'm curious, what would be the argument for purposefully not carrying your card with you?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It's nice to know I could still carry if say, I left my wallet at home, or lost it. But I'm curious, what would be the argument for purposefully not carrying your card with you?

Since the card itself is not sufficient proof of exception for some officers, and checking the ISP database can be done without it, what would be the argument for carrying around such a useless token of Indiana's infringement on our RKBA?

Top Bottom