• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Once again, I'm swearing never to repeat the mistake of reloading with lead bullets while taking a break from cleaning lead gunk caked to my barrel:xmad:. It seems that there has to be a better way. I don't have this problem with .22lr because they seem to be really WELL LUBED and I'm thinking about maybe spraying lead bullets with case lube--scotch-guard, anything--before loading them.
    The one concern I've got with that idea is getting an oily/waxy film thick enough to raise chamber pressure when firing. Thoughts?

Yeah, the wax filled grooves are supposed to do that already and leading is partly a matter of the ratio of lead to tin--so is there a particular brand of lead bullet that doesn't smear barrels with a thick lead mess?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Your loads are probably too LIGHT..

Missouri Bullet Company
    ^^^Brad does know his stuff.

For me, I found out that the main cause for leading on cast bullets was too LIGHT of loads. The base of the projectile would not swell enough to get a good gas seal.

Since I found this out, most of my cast loads are at, or near the MAX listed in the Load Data for cast bullets.

Do the checks+use the Chore Boy pads as needed to clean the lead..Works for me..Bill.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There are several bullet companies that coat a cast bullet in teflon or other polymers. I have use the black teflon coated bullets with great success. I have some of the polymer coated bullets from "black and blue bullet company" but have not gotten a chance to try them. You can always go to plated bullets like Rainier, Berry's or Xtreme.

I have used LEE liquid Alox tumble bullet lube on some cast bullets I made out of really bad alloy. It smokes like a steam locomotive, but the barrel does not get packed with lead.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Not sure what you're shooting but most leading problems I've seen come from undersized bullets. Gas checks can help if you're really driving something hard. Tin helps flow out the lead more than harden it, antimony does that job better. Loads of tips other than the few I've mentioned can be found on Cast Boolits.:)

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I shoot a lot of lead and I shoot a lot of light loads for cowboy action so it's not too much for the wife. I never have had leading problems. The trick is to have a bullet hardness that is compatible with the pressure of your loads. A hard cast bullet will not expand enough to get a good gas seal, just like billybob said. So, you need a softer bullet or a hotter load.

For my light loads, I use swaged bullets from Zero. They work great in light loads for bullseye, plinking, and cowboy action. If I shoot hotter loads, a hard cast bullet works just fine. There is actually a formula to determine bullet hardness for the pressure your load produces. The formula is in this article about leading and bullet obturation. It is a good read and very informative. Also, I second the suggestion of the Cast Boolits site.

Preventing barrel leading | Revolvers, Reloading, Ammunition | GrantCunningham.com

You did not state what load you were using and what bullets. That all makes a difference. If you want more specific answers, you need to add more detail to you question. Something else that just came to mind: if you were shooting jacketed bullets from your gun and want to start shooting lead, you need to clean all the jacket fowling from the gun. You will get worse leading by not cleaning the jacket fouling.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    INGO comes through again! Thanks for all the info, particularly the links explaining the relationship between bullet hardness and leading.

zzephaniah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    NWI
    Missouri Bullet Company
    ^^^Brad does know his stuff.

For me, I found out that the main cause for leading on cast bullets was too LIGHT of loads. The base of the projectile would not swell enough to get a good gas seal.

Since I found this out, most of my cast loads are at, or near the MAX listed in the Load Data for cast bullets.

Do the checks+use the Chore Boy pads as needed to clean the lead..Works for me..Bill.

That's interesting I didn't know that. I always thought leading was from the gasses melting the back.

bigeric08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    jackson county
    Have you had a chance to try the polymer coated bullets from "black and blue bullet company"? I ordered some today just wondered what I should expect. I ordered the 9mm 115 blackcherry color
    There are several bullet companies that coat a cast bullet in teflon or other polymers. I have use the black teflon coated bullets with great success. I have some of the polymer coated bullets from "black and blue bullet company" but have not gotten a chance to try them. You can always go to plated bullets like Rainier, Berry's or Xtreme.

I have used LEE liquid Alox tumble bullet lube on some cast bullets I made out of really bad alloy. It smokes like a steam locomotive, but the barrel does not get packed with lead.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    bigeric08. I have tried them, and they did pretty well. A good, firm load was fine. I loaded some at max and the accuracy went away. Back down to the firm load and accuracy came back. I was shooting indoors and the ammo smelled like when an electric motor is burning out. Mine were 125 grain, red.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Good points Leo...

bigeric08. I have tried them, and they did pretty well. A good, firm load was fine. I loaded some at max and the accuracy went away. Back down to the firm load and accuracy came back. I was shooting indoors and the ammo smelled like when an electric motor is burning out. Mine were 125 grain, red.

Powder Coat Primer

^^^Excellent info Leo, here is another option for those DIY people--Works for me...Bill.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Not sure what you're shooting but most leading problems I've seen come from undersized bullets. Gas checks can help if you're really driving something hard. Tin helps flow out the lead more than harden it, antimony does that job better. Loads of tips other than the few I've mentioned can be found on Cast Boolits.:)

Some very good advice!!

bigeric08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    jackson county
    What diameter in 9mm have you tried .355 or .356? does it matter a whole bunch?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'm sizing my 9mm to .355, lube is home-made with bee's wax. Load is mid-range, never had any leading issues.
    I'm casting straight wheel weights.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Each barrel, AND Handloader is Different....

What diameter in 9mm have you tried .355 or .356? does it matter a whole bunch?

You need to find what works for you, Eric..

For ME--I cast a 9MM, 125gr. RN in a Lee "Six-Pack" mould, wheel weights+range lead, Shake+Bake with All Powder Paints, size to .357", and load up to around 1100fps. Again CastBoolts has a lot of info on this..

I get GREAT accuracy, without ANY Leading in my Glocks and CZ's, with FACTORY barrels..YMMV....Bill.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I use all my bullets as cast, or as dropped, meaning I still run them through a lube sizer but I use a sizer die that is 1 thousand larger than the bullet diameter.
    I use the sizer just to lube bullets. And I use lube designed for black powder cartridge bullets.
    I have zero leading problems.... I cast from 90 grain .355 bullets to 520+ grain .459 used in 45-90 with a 34" barrel with a 19 to 1 Alloy.. No leading..

bigeric08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    jackson county
    Im asking because o ordered some cast bullets with the polymer coating on them and there was several different size options for 9mm I chose .356 Ordered from blackandbluebullets.com I didn't know if the size would make a huge difference or be unsafe.

Top Bottom