• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i did order the aersol type lube yesterday but its not here yet all the sizing i need to do so far is the 25 cases i just shot the primer out of so i figure ill spread the tube stuff on with my finger just to keep me going thanks for the tip

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    i did order the aersol type lube yesterday but its not here yet all the sizing i need to do so far is the 25 cases i just shot the primer out of so i figure ill spread the tube stuff on with my finger just to keep me going thanks for the tip

Try a maxi-pad with lube on it to roll the cases on.

Seriously.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Vette, get yourself a lube pad. Since you've talked about loading 300W. you'll find the One-Shot and other spray lubes not adequate for the pressures necessary to resize. Stories abound of stuck cases and ruined dies from folks using the sprays. Besides, that stuff is 7 or $8 a can. A lube pad and 2 ounces of lube will lube many thousand cases and do a better job in the process. I have a spray can of dry lube that came from Caterpillar that has the same smell, feel, and other characteristics as the expensive stuff and works the same. A huge can was about $10 a year or so ago. Local auto parts places sell the same stuff for cheap. Works fine on smaller or straight walled easier to size cases.

As a side note on lube harming primers. The problem is that contamination may or may not cause a primer to fail at a particular time. The last thing you want is a primer that doesn't have enough left to discharge the round completely, leaving a slug stuck in the bore and an action full of powder. A quick follow-up attempt from a semi auto could be disastrous.

I've tried and failed to find reference to an individual who sponsored testing of primers and what it took to kill them so he could use so-called dud rounds in key chains and other jewelry. The end result was that no chemical that could be introduced into the compound of the primer was 100% foolproof 100% of the time and that some compounds not only didn't defuse the primer but actually accentuated its power. Read that as BOOM! I will keep looking.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Try a maxi-pad with lube on it to roll the cases on.

Seriously.

Joe I have no desire what-so-ever to find out how you came up with this.:): I did know a baby diaper will get you by in a pinch.

BTW you do use drier sheets in your vibratory tumbler to keep dust down don't you?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i did order some spray lube but ill go to napa and see what they have tommorow so ill have it for my wby when i do end up starting on it will the regular lube work well on 243 since im just neck sizing them?

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    The liquid lube on a pad is what you want to use on the 243 and the 300W. Like I said, keep the spray for straight wall type cases. I only use the spray on 45-70, 444, and pistol rounds as it does not supply the lubricity needed for most bottlenecked rounds.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Joe I have no desire what-so-ever to find out how you came up with this.:): I did know a baby diaper will get you by in a pinch.

BTW you do use drier sheets in your vibratory tumbler to keep dust down don't you?

A friend of mine used to steal them from his wife and use 'em :)

I don't use a drier sheet in the tumbler. What does that do? Actually, I've just finished using a tumbler for the first time. I never used one when I used to reload, But when I started again last year, my wife treated me to one. It sure does make pretty brass! Easier to inspect, too, and I hope easier on the dies.

I DO use a drier sheet tied to a belt buckle when bees are around. It'll keep them away, including nasty yellow jackets.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    The drier sheet in the tumbler picks up a lot of the dust that would normally adhere to your brass. Supposedly it also collects some of the lead particles that accumulate in the tumbler and become a health hazard. I use nothing but walnut hull media with an ample amount of liquid car wax added which cuts down on the dust and helps protect the brass from weather exposure to a limited extent. The fine cut of walnut media I use also does not plug up flash holes like the corn cob.

Top Bottom