Lucky to still have my Friend, and so many Fails here!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    First, be grateful all the good folks in this story are OK.
    Second, be pissed at your friend, he needs to know he's done something wrong (potentially in the eyes of the law) that could've had some very serious consequences.
    Good friends are hard to come by, and him sitting in a prison over a F'ing junkie won't help him or those who care about him.
    Glad your friend and his girlfriend are OK.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    And I am going to ask him in all sincerity to please join INGO and read the thread. Understanding laws may vary but sound advice is universal.

Completely unrelated and I will not hijack the thread....just wondering how you're liking Tennessee.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Completely unrelated and I will not hijack the thread....just wondering how you're liking Tennessee.
    It has become our permanent home. Although we preferred Indiana over South Dakota, Tennessee has a lot to offer us, and it’s our permanent home. Although people can be very clicky around here, we are blessed to live the life we do in a manner that works for us. I was in the field all day today rolling and it was 100 degrees out, but if that is my biggest problem I am doing ok lol.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    First, be grateful all the good folks in this story are OK.
    Second, be pissed at your friend, he needs to know he's done something wrong (potentially in the eyes of the law) that could've had some very serious consequences.
    Good friends are hard to come by, and him sitting in a prison over a F'ing junkie won't help him or those who care about him.
    Glad your friend and his girlfriend are OK.
    Yeah I am as you put it I am very pissed at him.
    I made my case why He should not move to that area and it went unheeded because property is cheap there.

I think I am most upset with him because I care and that is not something I just toss out there. He really needs to do some serious self assessment and learn from this. For all intents and purposes he was given a second chance.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    It is difficult to support "self defense", "stand your ground", or a "breach of curtilage" when you go chasing the thug.

Like I said though, he is a braver man than me. I would have feared for my life the moment an intruder came towards me with a knife in hand.
    Yup...whole lotta things wrong with his choices / actions in his response to Mr. Model Citizen squatting in his trailer cooking up a batch of meth...the 'natural' reaction is to protect one's stuff and boot Mr. Model Citizen out of his trailer, but this was definitely a job for law enforcement!!!
    He's luck he's not in jail...and, unfortunately, the prosecutor now has time to investigate, disseminate the chain of events, and determine whether or not to bring charges against the friend!
    Sometimes, stopping and thinking for a minute, before reacting, is the better choice...

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yeah, you cannot chase after him and fire a warning shot in that situation.
    Dropping him as he stands coming at you with the knife is a different story.
    But when he dropped it to boogie, all you can do basically is call for LE support.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Yeah I am as you put it I am very pissed at him.
    I made my case why He should not move to that area and it went unheeded because property is cheap there.

I think I am most upset with him because I care and that is not something I just toss out there. He really needs to do some serious self assessment and learn from this. For all intents and purposes he was given a second chance.
    First, I think your heart is in the right when you want to be sure your pal is making safe and wise choices.

But based on some of your comments about Friendship I'd caution you to not make this about you.

I'd suggest not making comments about how exclusively you give out love. It should be more focused on "I/we love you please make better choices"

Also @BigRed hinted at it and I'm not 100% sure his message landed so I'll spell it out.

The proper time to fire is when a crap sack comes at you with a knife, not while he's running away.

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    Glad your friend is OK, physically and legally. But legally he could have been in trouble if he hadn't been in a 'friendly' jurisdiction. He would have been justified in shooting immediately, before the guy with the knife paused, but once he turned and ran that ended the confrontation. His actions after that made him the aggressor, a hostile DA could have prosecuted him. Encourage your friend to take a good self defense course, or at the very least read a good book on the legal aspects of armed self defense. Here are a few:

Deadly Force - Understanding Your Right to Self Defense by Massad Ayoob. An update of his classic In the Gravest Extreme, a great book, but dated.

Straight Talk on Armed Defense: What the Experts Want You to Know edited by Massad Ayoob

The Law of Self Defense: The Indispensable Guide to the Armed Citizen by Andrew F. Branca. Branca is one of the top expert witnesses on armed self defense in the country.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    But Joe Biden said fire a warning shot into the air.......... Glad you friend is ok, but as stated above, it could have gone sideways quick like.......

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    First, I think your heart is in the right when you want to be sure your pal is making safe and wise choices.

But based on some of your comments about Friendship I'd caution you to not make this about you.

I'd suggest not making comments about how exclusively you give out love. It should be more focused on "I/we love you please make better choices"

Also @BigRed hinted at it and I'm not 100% sure his message landed so I'll spell it out.

The proper time to fire is when a crap sack comes at you with a knife, not while he's running away.
    No not about me it was meant to convey how important this person is to me and our family. I have a tendency not to have a filter it was broken a long time ago so I try to cognizant when I am communicating with people that matter.

And you are correct he was absent the correct mindset and he should have taken action inside the trailer. Not everyone is a Protector and belief is a hard thing to acquire.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Glad your friend is OK, physically and legally. But legally he could have been in trouble if he hadn't been in a 'friendly' jurisdiction. He would have been justified in shooting immediately, before the guy with the knife paused, but once he turned and ran that ended the confrontation. His actions after that made him the aggressor, a hostile DA could have prosecuted him. Encourage your friend to take a good self defense course, or at the very least read a good book on the legal aspects of armed self defense. Here are a few:

Deadly Force - Understanding Your Right to Self Defense by Massad Ayoob. An update of his classic In the Gravest Extreme, a great book, but dated.

Straight Talk on Armed Defense: What the Experts Want You to Know edited by Massad Ayoob

The Law of Self Defense: The Indispensable Guide to the Armed Citizen by Andrew F. Branca. Branca is one of the top expert witnesses on armed self defense in the country.

The Gravest extreme is a lesson well taught.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    You stand your ground, azz hat charges you with a knife, cap the azz hat in your camper which is totally appropriate. Law enforcement takes the camper until who knows when, the splatter needs to be cleaned up, you will have that on your mind every time you go in the camper and the current plans are ruined. Moral of the story, keep the azz hat in prison.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You stand your ground, azz hat charges you with a knife, cap the azz hat in your camper which is totally appropriate. Law enforcement takes the camper until who knows when, the splatter needs to be cleaned up, you will have that on your mind every time you go in the camper and the current plans are ruined. Moral of the story, keep the azz hat in prison.
    Why would law enforcement keep the camper/trailer? They don't "keep" your home if you shoot an intruder.

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Truth, I am really kind of mad at him and he knows it. Friendship is not something that I give out easily.

At the end of the day I just want him to realize how badly this could have ended for him. Sadly many people do not train nor do they understand how serious an individual with a knife can be. Add to the equation meth and the well I shot my LCP a few times a few years ago, and what you have is a recipe for a disaster.
    It is difficult to support "self defense", "stand your ground", or a "breach of curtilage" when you go chasing the thug.

Like I said though, he is a braver man than me. I would have feared for my life the moment an intruder came towards me with a knife in hand.

Top Bottom