• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    New Castle
    I have been loading .356 cast lead for my 9mm's and it works great in all my modern 9's. But when i tried to load my DWM 1918 luger they would not chamber all the way. At first I figured I had made the overall length too long, but it was in spec. I then noticed that lead was shaved off the bullet, so I slugged the bore and it measured .352? I now understand how this is such a accurate weapon, but want to ask what diameter bore size is common for lugers, and what diameter and type of bullet is recomended for this application? I still prefer cast over jacketed.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If he slugged the bore and it was .352, why would it be .30 Luger? Unless it is a VERY worn .30 Luger, pretty much dangerous to shoot!

Could have been a production issue, especially if it was a wartime gun. That or someone's idea of a joke in making a taperbore Luger, just like the small antitank gun the Germans made! :D

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    New Castle
    lol. Yea it is a 9x19, It was a war time take home that that been passed down to me. Made in 1918 and in very good condition with great bore and rifleing. I have fired many 9x19 fmj 115gr factory loads out of this but never had a reason to check the bullet diameter. It was always kind of tight but never had any issues. When loading cast I generally use bullets that are a thousandth or two larger then the standard bore size. for example standard 9MM bore(.354-.355) so I use (.356) cast lead or (.355) in a jacketed bullet.
    So my main question is back in the day did they make these 9mm barrels to different specs. than the more modern firearms? And has anyone had this issue and what would they recomend? Anything constructive would be helpful. Thanks

Pretty sure I may just have to get a different mold just for this Luger.

Top Bottom