• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    I inherited a M-1 Garand , and I know nothing about this rifle , other than it is what the guy carried in WWII and Korea , I know it is a 30-06 , now my question is , I read on this site the other day something about not firing commercial grade ammo out of a garand , something about it beeing to much pressure ??
    If I don't fire the commercial stuff what should I be looking for ?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    There is some concern with Garands that shooting anything that much exceeds the pressure curve of G.I. 30-06 risks damage to the op-rod. I've only ever used FN and LC mil surplus, but some have recommended PMC 150gr 30-06 as being close to mil-spec.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Like RobbLG said the CMP is your best bet. What you're looking for is known as M2 ball ammo. You could probably find some at the 1500, both USGI and the CMP Greek HXP ammo. Both are basically the same thing.
    Buying it locally or at a gunshow will cost you more since you're paying a middleman, but if you wanted to buy a couple of bandoleers or a can of ammo just to get the old girl out and shooting that would work.
    I've seen USGI match ammo for sale but there's no need in using what is getting to be collectible ammo just to plink with.
    Schuester (sp) and McCann both make a replacement gas plug that will bleed off some pressure, allowing you to use regular factory ammo. Whatever you do, don't bend your op rod. Use enough of the wrong ammo and it will happen. They can be repaired (usually) but why go there. BTW op rods aren't straight to start with so if you notice yours looks bent don't panic.
    Join the CMP. It takes a little paperwork to get it started but it's not that big of a deal

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    CMP M2 ball, Hornady commercial M1 loads, or roll your own with 150gr FMJ projectiles and a powder charge of 4895 or similar burn rate powder to generate 2700-2800fps.

Commercially loaded ammo generally uses slower burning powder, creates higher gas pressure, places more stress on the operating rod, and can generally cause all sorts of havoc.

Another solution is to replace the gas block with an adjustable one.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    There's an adjustable gas plug on the market that will let you shoot any ammo you want in that Garand.

Schuster DCM Adjustable Gas Plug with Wrench M1 Garand Steel Parkerized - MidwayUSA

What I had read on the CMP forums was that you open it up to start, then gradually close it down until it's ejecting properly and you're done. I don't have one yet because the CMP got in a bunch of HXP Greek ammo that works really well.

Yosarian87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    NWI
    I don't want to sound to idiotic...but is the cor-loc a horrible thing to put 40 down range? how about the Federal Power-shock? Just a question...if so I will return them and look for other options.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    All the timing on a Garand is built around powder with the same burn rate as IMR 4895. A 150 gr reload that uses IMR or Hodgdons 4895 powder in the middle of suggested loading specs will work fine. Like the man said above, there are adjustable gas plugs, but I never used them, The rifle runs fine with proper ammo.

Please note: unlike the wives tale about military 5.56 brass being thicker, the 30-06 military brass WAS actually much thicker. If using mil brass, the powder charge needs adjusted. The NRA published the proper load adjustment many years ago. I am sure someone still has that around. A little time on the internet will surely turn that information up, if you are loading vintage mil brass. Good Luck

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I don't want to sound to idiotic...but is the cor-loc a horrible thing to put 40 down range? how about the Federal Power-shock? Just a question...if so I will return them and look for other options.

The answer is a definite MAYBE. The big concern is around bending the op rod due to the increased pressure. I'm not sure how much different the pressure curve is on the two brands you mentioned, but my guess is since both are hunting rounds that tend to maximize velocity to increase bullet terminal ballistics, they are probably "too hot" for the Garand.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    looks like you guys covered it all. DO NOT FIRE CORELOKT or ANY AMMO OUT OF YOUR M1 THATWASNOT MADE FOR IT or you WILL be sorry! The gas plugs that allow factory modern 30-06 do work if you decide to go that route. I have one on one of my Garands but I only shoot milsurp ammo from CMP.

mikebaker1129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Houston ,TX
    You will bend a perfectly good op rod shooting the corelokt or other commercial ammo out of the M1 without the ajustable gas plug ,as previously metioned here.
    It could be a $125-150 mistake.

Yosarian87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    NWI
    I got the adjustable gas plug saturday...went out today and it worked great. Had a wonderful day out with it. Looking forward to this next weekend when we can finish up the ammo we bought. Thanks for all the info.

Top Bottom