• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dutch_cop2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southwest IN
    Shortly me and my partner are going to be issued two M-14's. The actual condition of the rifles is unknown to me. I assume that they are in working order, but I should never assume. So my questions is for anyone out there is:
    1) What is the best suggested optics for this rifle? (knowledge from prior use prefered)
    2) Any suggestions for bringing out the best performance in the rifles? (Rifles will be used for mid to long range use)
    3) Anyone know of armorers courses for this rifle going on in the state?
    4) Other than hand loads, what ammo to use?

Any other suggestions or comments welcome.

Thank you,
    Dutch

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I'd look at Hornady TAP ammo.

As for optics and mounts, take a look at what the military is using. Ditto on how to bring out the best in the rifles. Float the barrel, replace the barrel with a heavy target barrel, polish the trigger components. Don't change the sear angles.

These are accurate as-issued. I'd be surprised if you'd really need to do more than mount an optic on it.

Josh <><

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    M-14's are excellent rifles.

Make sure to keep them clean.
    Use a GREASE film to lubricate the Op rod channel-tab. Grease under the barrel where the Op rod travels and touches, Grease the action spring, spring guide, and op rod guide.

Pack the bolt roller with grease as you would a wheel bearing. Put a bit of grease in the op rod bolt roller travel area.
    Grease the area on the bolt lugs where they rotate in and out of battery.
    Grease the rear inside of the receiver where the bolt goes in and out of.

Trigger group:
    Grease the hammer and hammer hooks, a bit on of grease on the hammer spring.

Basically any metal part that rubs or cams gets grease on the M14 (same goes for the Garand).

This will keep your M14 happy and working properly with minimal wear.

Always use CLP or RemOil or your choice of oil as a rust preventative and general lubrication.

racr28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    Vincennes, IN
    We had good luck with these in Iraq. They are very accurate as issued. I would follow the lube instructions as directed in the earlier post. We had access to ACOGS, but I had my guys mount Leopold scopes on them instead. I prefer the wood stock, but some of the guys used composites.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    There's a Great article in American Rifleman from sometime last year on the subject. I'll dig it out for you, but IIRC, the issued long range ammo used for the DMU rifles is 175gr ball. Again, IIRC, that load is mfg'd by Lake City with a Sierra boat tail match bullet. Optics run the gambit between Acogs, Leupold 3-9 variables, to Schmidt and Bender long range optics.

Also, I'll assume these to be "neutered"?

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    My opinion on optics for an M-14 is to have railed handguard installed and go with QR or Mark4 rings on your scope, scope can consist of many brands but recommend a varible power from atleast 3.5x up to 12 to 16x, this will cover just about any distance you will shoot. With most scopes though, the setup I have described you will have to position both rings in front of the turret to achieve proper eye relief but it is still a stable platform.

IMHO stay away from Hornady TAP ammo if you are going to be using your rifle in the Sandbox! I assume that you are one that takes great care of you equipment but there will always be dirt and debris. And with the hard nickel plated cases of the TAP ammo it will scratch the snot out of the chamber. My personal recommendation for ammo would be about anything NATO spec that is American made, Lake City, Lake City Match, Federal, and Winchester NATO loads. As far as Commercial ammo goes I would limit it to Black Hills. Yes there are other commercial ammo makers out there that produce VERY accurate match grade ammo but what you have to watch for in the M-14's is chamber pressure. Most NATO spec 7.62 ammo is running around 50,000psi on chamber pressure and this is what the M-14/M1A's are designed for while factory loaded 308Win ammo is loaded up to 68,000psi chamber pressure and is very hard on the action and op rod!

As far as bringing out the best in these rifles, good optics, good ammo, and most importantly, lots of practice on your part! You need to spend as much time shooting these rifles as possible! Eat it, Breath it, Shoot it! Knowing that particular rifle brings out the best of the rifle.;)

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    There's a Great article in American Rifleman from sometime last year on the subject. I'll dig it out for you, but IIRC, the issued long range ammo used for the DMU rifles is 175gr ball. Again, IIRC, that load is mfg'd by Lake City with a Sierra boat tail match bullet. Optics run the gambit between Acogs, Leupold 3-9 variables, to Schmidt and Bender long range optics.

Also, I'll assume these to be "neutered"?

Yes, M118LR should still be the issue LR ammo for these. Wonderful ammo out of a M-14.

And I hope yours aren't neutered! If there are I am sure we can find an armorer that can solve that for you!;):rockwoot:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Going by his handle, "Dutch_Cop," I ASSumed he is using it on police patrol.

Dutch, you there? Seems to be a bit of confusion!

Josh <><

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    No, no confusion. These will not be going to the sandbox, and will be utilized by a PD. (dutchcop is a friend of mine)

My bad!:dunno: But regardless I still recommend staying away from the TAP ammo in these rifles just simply due to the forces of the case being feed and extracted from the chamber.;)

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    If these M14 Rifles are coming out of the DoD LE Support Program, you can rest assurred that they are in excellent functioning condition. They will come with either the wood or later issue fiberglass stock which may show some signs of previous use. For an optic rail I highly recommend the Troy Industries Battlerail. Check it out here: Troy Industries - M14 Products & Accessories

If you want to upgrade even more get one of Troy's M14 Modular Chassis Systems. It is top shelf and improves the M14 ergonomics beyond belief.
    Any optic is only going to be as good as it's mount. That being said the M14 is capable of exceeding ranges of 1000 yards. The Army has been buying lots of the Leupold MarkIV's for M14 use, but also many ACOG's and Elcan M145's have been effectively used as well. Of course many LE Dept's don't have funding to kit out a rifle like a DoD funded entity, but aside from a good optic rail, one can probably find a couple of good scopes from INGO members or in a local gun shop that will fit the need nicely.

dutch_cop2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southwest IN
    Thank you all for the information and interest in this thread. These weapons will be used in police special deployment, where handgun & shotgun are not the most effective option.

Dutch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    Mooresville
    Ammo

I couldn't even think about owning a M-14 now days with the price of ammo as it is. I cant believe the cost of ammo, I was looking into the price of buying ammo and reloading at this point and there is no real big savings in the market since the price of everything has jumped so high. Even with the magazines that I get in the mail that sell bulk ammo from other country the price has jumped like crazy and you dont even know if its going to be corossive or not

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    I'd take an M14 and 100rnds over an AR type and 1000rnds anyday.
    I'll admit to some trigger time on M14/M1A's.
    It is nice to know that some of these rifles have been put back into service instead of being given away via FMS or destroyed.

dutch_cop2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southwest IN
    The cost of ammo and the available supply to every sector of the shooting community sucks. I am the person responible for recommending the purchase of ammo for training and duty use to the chief. Right now to order ammo for our duty weapons it is about a six to nine month wait.

I wish I had the foresight and funds two or three years back to purchase 5 years worth.

As far as the AR v. M-14 both are being put into use. However, I'm going to be new to the M-14 so that is why I started the thread.

Top Bottom