• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Definitely interested in seeing the inside of your rig. One of the things I used to love back in the day when I used to go to LAN parties with friends is checking out everyone's rigs. I love the flexibility of computer builds and always cool seeing the interesting things people could do.

Still not looking to go WC. My air cooler worked just fine for 10+ years and I always pick cases that have plenty of room for the large coolers. With the 3600 I won't need anything more than stock as I won't be overclocking or using the system that heavily. I play the occasional game and that's about it. When the next Elder Scrolls comes out I'll pick it and a new video card up around the same time... :):

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    By the way, thanks to everyone involved in this thread. It's been a long time since I've been excited about computer stuff and I've enjoyed reading all of the responses. Takes me back to the days of participating in a number of tech forums and competing with a good friend of mine to see who could build the better system... :):

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Definitely interested in seeing the inside of your rig. One of the things I used to love back in the day when I used to go to LAN parties with friends is checking out everyone's rigs. I love the flexibility of computer builds and always cool seeing the interesting things people could do.

Still not looking to go WC. My air cooler worked just fine for 10+ years and I always pick cases that have plenty of room for the large coolers. With the 3600 I won't need anything more than stock as I won't be overclocking or using the system that heavily. I play the occasional game and that's about it. When the next Elder Scrolls comes out I'll pick it and a new video card up around the same time... :):

I cloned my Boot 960gig Patriot SSD to the new 1TB WD Red NAS SSD I got yesterday, took me all of about 8 minutes, from program init, reboot, clone, shutdown and reboot.
    Tomorrow I'll swap the drives around and use the Patriot as Pic/MP3 and about 250 meg of movie storage.

CPU-Case1.jpg

The Icy Dock 4-SSD bay is what I put in earlier in the week.

CPU-Case2.jpg

Getting my geek back on brings a smile to my face. My first build was a Intel 300 Celron over clocked to 450mhz had 7 fans in the case, sounded like a DC10 throttling up on the runway when I powered it up. Heck I'm planning my next build for about 1-2 years from now, depending on how my current rig keeps purring along.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    :):

My 1st build was a Z80 microcontroller on a breadboard with 4 dip switches to set the nibble and another switch to toggle it into memory. It took forever to code in a cheezy sounding Star Wars song.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Ha, I was in between you fellas. Buddy helped me piece together an old 386 computer for my first PC and the first one I build for myself was a Pentium 133. In between those two systems I bought a barebones 486SLC266 system out of Computer Shopper magazine. That left me realizing I'm much better off building my own systems.

Nice looking system IBM... :yesway:

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ha, I was in between you fellas. Buddy helped me piece together an old 386 computer for my first PC and the first one I build for myself was a Pentium 133. In between those two systems I bought a barebones 486SLC266 system out of Computer Shopper magazine. That left me realizing I'm much better off building my own systems.

Nice looking system IBM... :yesway:

Thank you, I picked out all that I wanted, and paid Fry's 75.00 to assemble it and install Win10 64bit Home on it.
    Best 75.00 I ever spent, bought all the pieces on a Saturday morning, picked it up at 2:30pm the next day. All I had to do was bring it home, plug my old Keyboard,Mouse and Monitor, plug it into the router and away I went.
    I also bought the late wife a new Asus pre-built system because she didn't need all the bells and whistles, just a good function system. I then gave my old computer to my Father-in-Law and the wife's old one to my youngest niece.

I have a closet full of old equipment I need to get rid if, including a old 19inch CRT.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yeah, I used to enjoy doing the assembly, but now it's just a chore. This build should be pretty simple as the mobo, CPU and RAM will get mounted into the new case and then I'll move over the PSU and video card. Should be pretty straightforward.

Like you, I have way too much old junk I need to get rid of. Found a place off Franklin Rd on the East side that takes pretty much anything. I got rid of tons of stuff last summer over there. No charge, just had to drop it off. Haven't had any CRT monitors for a while though... :):

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Yeah, I used to enjoy doing the assembly, but now it's just a chore. This build should be pretty simple as the mobo, CPU and RAM will get mounted into the new case and then I'll move over the PSU and video card. Should be pretty straightforward.

Like you, I have way too much old junk I need to get rid of. Found a place off Franklin Rd on the East side that takes pretty much anything. I got rid of tons of stuff last summer over there. No charge, just had to drop it off. Haven't had any CRT monitors for a while though... :):

Same here on when I do a new build, keep the case and PS. The CRT has been sitting, not used at least 6 years now. I'm just a equipment hoarder, always thinking I'll have a use for it in the very near future.:laugh:
    I know I got two ancient old cases, completely intact except for HD's, that I kept in case the new build that replaced them failed, wonder if the Smithsonian would want them:lmfao:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yep, I have a complete system sitting in the closet as a "backup system" in case my main rig died that I've never needed. Q6600 with a 4 or 5 year old video card in a 16 year old midtower ThermalTake case. I had built it for a member here out of spare parts, but we never ended up hooking up due to his schedule. I'm thinking I'll scrap all of that system and set my current Coolermaster HAF full tower case with the current mobo, CPU and RAM aside as my emergency parts. Will probably never need them, but if so they'll be ready to go... ;)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Parts ordered BTW. Go to visit my son in Cincy tomorrow and will pick everything up when I do. Bring everything back and probably spend Sunday doing the build... :rockwoot:

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Parts ordered BTW. Go to visit my son in Cincy tomorrow and will pick everything up when I do. Bring everything back and probably spend Sunday doing the build... :rockwoot:

Hope you have a safe trip there and back along with a enjoyable time with your son and a stress free build.

I think when I finally do build a new system in the future, instead of a standard case, I'll go with a test bench style. Easy to get to everything, won't have to remove the side doors to spray dust buildup out, and it'll be a whole lot cooler environment overall for components.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, the upgrade is complete. Had intended to document the whole thing with pics, but after this:

Kwkh0DRh.jpg

I got absorbed in what I was doing and forgot to take more pics...:):

Grabbed a couple more just now to show that the system is all setup and running:

Vjp7Cw2h.jpg

IAEENy1h.jpg

The room is a little dark, so I couldn't get a great pic. I did find that I need more lighting in the case. I didn't realize the Wraith cooler on this CPU was different than the one on my son's Ryzen 7 2700x. His has sweet RGB LED lighting and mine has none. Also, the back 140mm case fan doesn't have any lighting, so between the two things the case is relatively dark. I'll have to fix that at some point, but for now it's running well enough. The second pic above shows the monitor, keyboard and mouse that I already had, along with the new Razer Firefly V2 gaming surface with cool RGB lighting around the edges. Overall I'm pretty happy with the upgrade. I definitely feel like things are snappier overall, plus the boot time is vastly reduced because the old ROG mobo had a horribly slow boot. I can get to login in just ~10 seconds and the desktop a couple seconds after that. I do have to watch the CPU temp, as while gaming yesterday it hit 81 degrees (monitored with Core Temp). My son had said the stock cooler was working fine for him, but it looks like I may need to get something a bit more robust.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Oh, should mention the build was really easy and I'm using less cords off the PSU than I've ever done before. Part of that is not using dual optical drives as I had in every other build and also since I'm using a single M.2 drive instead of dual SATA drives, that leaves off a lot of cables as well. The pic doesn't really show it, but the build came out relatively clean. I will say that it'd be nice if Asus would put something in the case user manual talking about how to install the front case fans. There was a little RGB connector that needed to be pulled off the connector to the mobo and then that plugged into an RGB input on the mobo. That was a lot harder than it should have been. Everything else went really smoothly. Anyone know a good SSD benchmarking tool? I want to see how much faster this Sabrent Rocket is over my previous drive... :):

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, had to order an aftermarket cooler for the CPU. The temps were going up to 88 degrees while gaming and I don't want to kill the CPU, so I proactively ordered something. I did tweak the CPU fan speed in the BIOS which helped, but it's not a long term fix (down from 88 degrees at a high to 79 degrees). The system is definitely faster than my old system though, so I'm happy with the upgrade and happy to be back on team AMD :cool:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Went into the BIOS and set the CPU fan up higher, which is cooling the CPU a bit better. Still not enough, but I can play my game for the next couple of days until the new CPU cooler gets here and not worry about melting the CPU... ;)

Top Bottom