• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fw501

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    I just got my new M-4 and it has fixed iron sights on it. I'm new to this type of weapon... should I have a scope or red dot?? Any recommendations??:dunno:

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    to me fixed irons with optics looks funny, but its up to you, my first ar had irons on it and i scoped it and it didnt look right. if you want optics on it i would go with a red dot, more specifically aimpoint or eotech although tijicon is good too but my pockets arent that deep

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If it has a fixed carry handle upper, I'd say leave it as it is. You can mount a 4x scope to the top of it, but you have a terrible cheek weld (i.e. you're chin is up on the stock, not your cheek). They also make gooseneck style mounts that will allow a red-dot style optic to be mounted forward of the carry handle and that co-witness with irons.

Now, if you have a flat-top style with removeable carry handle, and therefore a standard 1913 picatiny rail on top, feel free to mount whatever you want. Red-dots are probably the most practical, as you M4 clone is designed to primarily be a 300m or less weapon (that obviously can and will shoot father than that). You can also put a scope on it and make paper punching from 100 yds literrally boring, and also try to reach out a bit farther.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    As already asked ... rifle description? intended use? budget constraints?

more info = better suggestions :D

noobert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Start with a Primary Arms red dot. Cheap enough to let you know if you like red dots, but sturdy enough to not break

Top Bottom