• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    For performance, the AR would be better. But I am comparing it to a .22 AK I had earlier this year which I sold. The AK can handle much more dirt and crap compared to the AR right? The AK I had, I didn't clean it for the first few weeks of owning and it fired flawlessly.

I don't think when you're talking .22LR that you're going to get the same reliability advantage in the AK over the AR. They both run completely different action systems in the rimfire variants as compared to their centerfire big brothers.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've heard and read that you need to but a modified trigger set in the dedicated 22-AR's to make the slide fire work.

I don't have first hand experience but I'd be interested to know.

Edited: watched the video and he admitted he changed the trigger group as well. Probably a good "investment" considering the cost of going full auto is very prohibitive for me, but this would be pretty darn cool and fun.

I don't think you have to "modify" the trigger but putting in a much lighter trigger spring certainly couldn't hurt.

D ReedSniper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    I don't think when you're talking .22LR that you're going to get the same reliability advantage in the AK over the AR. They both run completely different action systems in the rimfire variants as compared to their centerfire big brothers.

True. But it's one of the factors influencing my decision somewhat.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    True. But it's one of the factors influencing my decision somewhat.

The AR 22lr and AK 22lr have similarities is cosmetics and ergonomics only. If you want a cheap trainer that just like the real thing, then it's perfect for you. If you want the AK 22lr because the AK 7.62x39 is more reliable, then you're just as mistaken as the guy buying a AR 22lr thinking it'll be more accurate than the AK 22lr will be.

Once you get past the cosmetics and ergonomics, you're basically talking about the same gun.

D ReedSniper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    I would check out the Sig 522. It has gotten really good reviews. Supposed to be just about the most reliable out of the tactical .22LRs.

http://youtu.be/I3ilpMzqDq4

Thanks bcourts! I considered this one, but without ever holding one, I'm not sure that I will like it. I've passed up a great amount of rifles because they have to feel right when I handle them, such as when I pick up my Mosin :)

I'm definitely considering the M&P 15-22 because it feels nice. Also, I picked up a M16 at the last CIG gun show in Kokomo and it felt like the perfect gun. I enjoy the collapsible stock on the AR

Top Bottom