Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Pretty much any 22 can fire out of battery. I've only seen it once on a 15-22, couple times on 10/22s, and a couple times on Remington 597s and Marlin 60s. Even a Browning Buckmark pistol.

I haven't had any issues out of my 15-22

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I am not familiar with the 15/22 but assume it's a blow-back action like the 10/22. Such guns are susceptible to chamber fouling even though the straight-wall cartridges are less likely to suffer from it. That simple thing we call cleaning reduces the chances of an out-of-battery ignition. A BoreSnake is your friend!

That pin-drifting mentioned in the article, though, is a whole different issue and obviously one S&W should address.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I loved my 15-22 and the 15-22 pistol I had, but after an oobd blew the extractor and I could not find anyone who sold one and S&W would not sell one but had me ship the rifle back (on their dime to be fair) and had a turn around time of like five weeks for a fifty cent part amd a two minute job, I sold both of them. Replacing the extractor in this gun is a tool-less job, and I refuse to have a gun that parts are not available for unless it is a collectible.

I used the proceeds to buy a dedicated .22lr upper.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I am not familiar with the 15/22 but assume it's a blow-back action like the 10/22. Such guns are susceptible to chamber fouling even though the straight-wall cartridges are less likely to suffer from it. That simple thing we call cleaning reduces the chances of an out-of-battery ignition. A BoreSnake is your friend!

That pin-drifting mentioned in the article, though, is a whole different issue and obviously one S&W should address.

I run a bore snake through mine before and after shooting and I've never experienced out of battery discharge with it. I'd bet you hit the nail on the head with chamber fouling being the culprit.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I've never had any issue with mine doing either of those things. It has a lot of rounds put through it too.

Maybe there was a bad run of them at some point.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Regardless of how widespread this problem is, that's a big deal when any organization bans a particular item and basically calls out a manufacturer like they have here. I have a 15-22, and I like it but I've barely shot the thing since I bought it about 2 years ago and all the ammo dried up. Now I'll be paying much more attention to the rifle when I take it out back to shoot it next time.

Top Bottom