• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have an mp 15 sport and I am trying to figure out if I should get a new upper assembly with a forward assist and dust cover. I read the review on truthaboutguns.com and they dropped sand ad dust all over it and it still fired but from what I have been told for a defense/shtf gun I need an upper with forward assist and dust cover. Please any thoughts cause I don't really wanna spend the money on a new upper assembly but I will if it would be somewhat necessary for the kind of gun I want to build.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I wouldn't, you will likely never use the forward assist. And unless you going to the desert the duskcover won't matter.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    You could always just buy a stripped upper, and swap all your stuff onto it. Then all that's left to buy, is the dust cover and forward assist. You'd be looking at $120, vs $4-500, for a whole new upper! (Pre crazy pricing):twocents:

gunner69

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anderson
    For a shft gun I would def recommend having a dust cover. Forward assist is handy if you're trying to be quiet but I wouldn't say necessary. If you're going to get a new upper for the dust cover you might as well get one with both though. Its really a question of whether you want to spend the cash on a new upper right now with the market the way it is when you have a good functioning weapon already. What you have now is better than nothing.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I wouldnt think you would NEED either, if im not mistaken, the weapon wasnt originally designed with at least the forward assist anyway.

The dust cover is nice to keep stuff out, but unless your planning on constantly dragging it through various elements, hardly needed. As for the forward assist, you can just push forward on the groove where the gas ports are on the bolt.

Not necessary, but nice to have. But like Philbert said, id buy a stripped upper and just swap the stuff you already have

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    See I already bought the stripped upper but ive read that I have to worry about head spacing and that I should just buy an upper assembly that's built by the pros. Plus it's a you know what finding a professional to do it who already has the tools but I guess I could just order the tools an do it myself. I'm just worried about canting the sight.

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    A buddy of mine who is on the force and has built a few ars said it would be a good idea for an shtf gun he said it'd probably jam if it gets dirty

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    While I like having a forward assist and dust cover, after thoroughly abusing one of those sport models - I do not believe it is a big deal.

If I lived in another geographic location, a dust cover would probably be important... but in Indiana I just don't seem to get enough crap in them to justify another upper assembly just for a dust cover and forward assist.

It is your rifle though, so if you really want a forward assist and dust cover - it is your call.

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Well I've already got the stripped upper so I might as well put it on once I can afford the tools but that's probably all ill do. Thanks for the advice

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Dick is spot on! The original m16 had no forward assist. If it failed to go into battery, you pushed the bolt forward with the groove described above! If you decide against swapping everything, I'm in the market for a stripped upper! (My AR is a match setup with a 24 inch heavy barrel, and I'd like to build a combat upper at some point!) If you decide to let it go, in favor of a complete upper, or just sticking with what you have, let me know!

Top Bottom