• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    So my Smith fires great, on target everytime unless there's an operator error (it happens). But I confess that I desire a lighter trigger pull and possibly earlier timing.

To the point. I have read great reviews on both sites, but I am loping for anyone with real world experience with one or both. Also lookin for anyone that has a Apec FSS kit in their firearm.

Give it to me straight!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have no experience with SEI (never even heard of them honestly), but I have quite a bit of experience with Apex products in various M&P's.

Here's a break down:

DCAEK-"Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit"= utimate striker block w/spring (removes grit and smooths pull), hard sear w/spring (removes over travel, lowers pull weight, and slightly improves reset), duty/carry trigger return spring (raises trigger pull back up some to meet duty standards)

CompAEK-"Competetion Action Enhancement Kit"= utimate striker block w/spring (removes grit and smooths pull), hard sear w/spring (removes over travel, lowers pull weight, and slightly improves reset), lighter comp trigger return spring (further reduces pull), and comp striker spring (also reduces pull weight).

The Aluminum AEK trigger was designed to replace the stock hinged trigger if desired and can be used in conjunction with any combination of factory parts or the above kits but is not to be confused with the FSS which outwardly looks very similar.

RAM- "Reset Assist Mechanism"= an optional kit that "improves" tactile/audible trigger reset. If you are prefer a "Glockish" trigger, this will make you feel right at home. Coming from a Glock myself, I planned on installing one but never got around to it. After getting used to the platform, I no longer think the RAM is necessary.

FSS- "Front Set Sear"= completely different trigger group, springs and sear than and not compatable with the others. Totally changes the geometry of the pull and moves the break point much further forward with very little pre or over travel. Feels almost like a single action trigger.

Hope this helps.

I see you're in Ft Wayne, but if you ever get down to the Indy area you're welcome to try out my M&P's. I have one with the DCAEK, and one with the CompAEK.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry, SAI (Salient Arms).

I am really interested in the FSS since the kit sounds like what I want the most. A fan of the M&P trigger I am not, but the rest of the gun is great. Accuracy is not a problem, just wanting a smoother pull and lighter weight.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If the FSS was legal in USPSA Production, I would have one. It is the sweetest most crisp trigger I've ever felt in a striker gun. I use the CompAEK which is super light and fairly crisp, but it still has the long pre-travel (without the grit though).

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    FSS kit will be here tomorrow. I will carry my M&P at work tomorrow so I can have the kit installed before COB.

I will surely let you know my opinion of it. I did order the metal trigger kit.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The kit arrived today and is in.

Trigger pull is smooth as silk and very short!
    Reset is shorter than the DCAEK kit, not by much, but its noticeable.
    The trigger is set back so your finger doesn't have to go to the front of the trigger guard.
    Pull weight is considerably better, 4-5lb.
    Glock style trigger with the pull of a 1911, sweet!

I will get a range report as soon as I can dump the kids at grandparents for a few hours. Give me two weeks, I have eight kids so it takes some greasing to get grandparents to say yes, lol!

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Here it is installed.

null_zpsd1312ed2.jpg

null_zpsce29060b.jpg

Hope the pics help give you an idea of how it looks in the receiver. I like it and hope to fire off some rounds later this week or next.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Looking at the pics makes me want to remove the factory trigger stop on the frame. That's a project for another day, for bows its functionality. Next up a set of stippled back straps with a US Army symbol!

Top Bottom