• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Recently took it to the range (bought used, no idea on round count.) and noticed that the slide locks back when mag is empty like its supposed to, but when I drop the empty mag and insert a full one the slide releases if I bump the full mag in with any kind of force. And by force I mean a typical tap-rack motion.

The reason the title says problem? Is because it doesn't really bother me, but thought maybe some on here could think of a reason it could cause problems.

Thanks for your input.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    There was a thread about this a few years ago...If memory serves me, I think the VAST majority of the Gen-1 users reported the same issue. Me, it doesn't bother me, I actually like that feature.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    The only issue I could think off is that I carry 2 different guns, depending on how concealed I need to be. A 9 shield and this 45c. If I get used to the 45c releasing the slide by itself, I may have issues remembering to release the slide on my shield which stays pit no matter how hard I smack the mag in there.

Of course I'm probably over thinking it because the chance of me needing the gun in a defensive situation is small, the chance that I'll get into an extended firefight needing a mag change is even less.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The only issue I could think off is that I carry 2 different guns, depending on how concealed I need to be. A 9 shield and this 45c. If I get used to the 45c releasing the slide by itself, I may have issues remembering to release the slide on my shield which stays pit no matter how hard I smack the mag in there.

Of course I'm probably over thinking it because the chance of me needing the gun in a defensive situation is small, the chance that I'll get into an extended firefight needing a mag change is even less.

Which is why you need to treat every pistol reload like every other pistol reload - regardless of the platform.

Insert mag and rack the slide.

"yeah, but I'll waste a round". Yeah? So?

IMO, commonality in "gross" motor skills across all platforms is a GOOD habit to be in.

PLUS that same physical action is also part of the first malfunction clearing drills that SHOULD be installed in everyone's practice. Tap, Rack, Bang.

Load a fresh mag? Tap, Rack, Bang.

Failure to feed, extract, or fire? Tap, Rack, Bang.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Which is why you need to treat every pistol reload like every other pistol reload - regardless of the platform.

Insert mag and rack the slide.

"yeah, but I'll waste a round". Yeah? So?

IMO, commonality in "gross" motor skills across all platforms is a GOOD habit to be in.

PLUS that same physical action is also part of the first malfunction clearing drills that SHOULD be installed in everyone's practice. Tap, Rack, Bang.

Load a fresh mag? Tap, Rack, Bang.

Failure to feed, extract, or fire? Tap, Rack, Bang.

That right there!^^^^^^^^^^

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Commonly referred to as auto forwarding. As TF said they purposely designed it out of the 2.0 models. Every so often it doesn't pick up a round on its way forward. That could be problematic.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I loved the auto-forward "feature" of all my M&Ps, with the exception of my new 2.0 model. As stated, the polymer framed M&P, like many other polymer framed handguns would auto-forward when you slam a mag into the well, but this "feature" was not always dependable, since it would work most of the time, but not all of the time. Steel and aluminum framed pistols do not usually exhibit the AF behaviour due to the stiffness of the frames.

I always like auto-forward, since it allowed me to keep going without any additional steps between mag changes, but if the "feature" does not work 100% of the time, it is not possible to make it a muscle memory function.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Commonly referred to as auto forwarding. As TF said they purposely designed it out of the 2.0 models. Every so often it doesn't pick up a round on its way forward. That could be problematic.

I loved the auto-forward "feature" of all my M&Ps, with the exception of my new 2.0 model. As stated, the polymer framed M&P, like many other polymer framed handguns would auto-forward when you slam a mag into the well, but this "feature" was not always dependable, since it would work most of the time, but not all of the time. Steel and aluminum framed pistols do not usually exhibit the AF behaviour due to the stiffness of the frames.

I always like auto-forward, since it allowed me to keep going without any additional steps between mag changes, but if the "feature" does not work 100% of the time, it is not possible to make it a muscle memory function.

Pretty much the problem I was seeing with it. But As said Just train to tap, rack, bang every time no matter what gun your using.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Further:

I'm heavily invested in the M&P platform - though I now no longer own as many as I have in the past.

All the full-sized 9mm M&Ps I've owned "auto forwarded". So did the 9c I owned years ago. I do not know if the most recent 9c did it or not as I didn't "test" it at the range.

In all these guns and all the rounds down range, I never once had a failure to strip and chamber a round.

Still, I was convinced during one class (I forget by who) that I should really think about making the actions of a reload and malfunction drills to be as similar as possible in order to really streamline the thought process that goes in to each.

Top Bottom