• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Whenever you have issues with a gun, it leads to uncertainty. Make sure you put some HP's through it, just so you can start feeling a bit more comfortable carrying it. I had issues with my DB9, but after running about 100 rounds through it, I'm completely comfortable with carrying it as my backup and even a primary when the situation calls for it.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Apex Extractor Review Part 2.

Got the part installed. I replaced the solid extractor pin with a roll pin while I was at it. The M&P45 uses a roll pin, allegedly to comply with .mil specs for the pistol trials, but the 9/40/357 has the solid pin. 5/64 x1/2" is the proper roll pin size, for those that were curious. I've got a couple extras since they come in bags of 3 dozen from Brownells. If anyone wants one, look me up at a local match.

I ran the M&P357 at the SCSA shoot at ACC yesterday, in both production and limited. All in all, just under 400 rounds total on the day, including about 100 loaded with chunky-dirty AA7. The AA7 recipes were the ones usually responsible for my previous FTEs with the stock extractor. Now, the stock extractor was implicated in about 4 FTEs in 3000rds, along with a handful of casings to the forehead. While the latter isn't a malfunction per se, it's annoying.
    With the Apex, not a single malfunction of any kind. No brass to the forehead, either. The brass was very consistently tossed into more or less the same spot about 8" to the right and slightly back.

Despite the issues getting the darn thing in, I'd call it money well spent.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Definitely the extractor. The brass looks fine. I have an M4 barrel that won't let go of a case for love nor money. The extractor will actually take a chunk out of the rim, and I have to hammer them out with a rod. Looking at the case, I need to try polishing the chamber. Firing steel case rounds can cause a problem like that, not so much anymore, since they've started putting a polymer coating on them, but the steel won't expand into the chamber under pressure like brass, and the powder fowls the chamber.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've put in a few more hundred rounds now. Haven't had any more problems. I cleaned the M&P Thursday night, and ran couple hundred rounds thru it. And had 2 FTE's.

I made sure I cleaned the extractor well with a toothbrush Thursday night. I'm sure there is a much better way to do this though...

Until I figure out a much better way to clean the extractor, I'll continue using a toothbush. I'd like to get to where I have zero FTE's.

Top Bottom