• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've had a few failures to extract on my M&P357 as well, they were all within the first 1k rounds or so. I stopped using chunky-dirty AA#7 powder, and the problem hasn't come back up. At some point, I'll get the Apex extractor.

I have the APEX duty/carry kit in mine, was installed Saturday.

Is the Apex extractor worth getting?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I have the APEX duty/carry kit in mine, was installed Saturday.

Is the Apex extractor worth getting?

It gets great reviews all over the interweb.

I'm about to find out first hand. I just ordered it, and I have 200rds of ammo loaded with AA7 to torture test it with.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Well, I have 1750 rounds through my MP Pro 9mm.......zero malfunctions. Just out of curiosity, what kind of ammo were you shooting? I have fed mine as many kinds as I can get my hands on...and with the exception of the cheap Federal ammo, will use any. And my problem with the cheap Federal ammo is that it smokes like a black powder gun and leaves a heavy soot all over my MP.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It gets great reviews all over the interweb.

I'm about to find out first hand. I just ordered it, and I have 200rds of ammo loaded with AA7 to torture test it with.

Awesome. I can't wait to read your review.

Well, I have 1750 rounds through my MP Pro 9mm.......zero malfunctions. Just out of curiosity, what kind of ammo were you shooting? I have fed mine as many kinds as I can get my hands on...and with the exception of the cheap Federal ammo, will use any. And my problem with the cheap Federal ammo is that it smokes like a black powder gun and leaves a heavy soot all over my MP.

Federal 115 grain FMJ from Wal-Mart

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I had the same problem out of my M&P when I tried using some steel cased Wolf ammo. It happened a few times between rounds 200-500ish but hasn't repeated the problem, so I didn't actually know if it was the ammo or the newness of the gun. Either way, I went back to my normal ammo brands (someone had given me that 100rds of wolf) and it's been perfect ever since.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had the same problem out of my M&P when I tried using some steel cased Wolf ammo. It happened a few times between rounds 200-500ish but hasn't repeated the problem, so I didn't actually know if it was the ammo or the newness of the gun. Either way, I went back to my normal ammo brands (someone had given me that 100rds of wolf) and it's been perfect ever since.

I haven't shot the Wolf stuff yet either.......found that Winchester 115 FMJ at Walmart is about as cheap as anything you can get online by the time you pay shipping and all. And it works well. Of the 1750 rounds I have through mine....close to 1000 are these Winchesters.

IndyRobotEng

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    I have a M&P 9 pro and had this happen once. I found that my ejector was plugged up with gp residue. A good cleaning took care of it for me.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Awesome. I can't wait to read your review.

Federal 115 grain FMJ from Wal-Mart

Review Part 1:

Part arrived today, along with 2 starter punches to get the extractor pin out.

Starter punches are in pieces, and that pin hasn't moved. :wallbash:
    I've removed the dreaded 2-ton Kimber sights using a brass punch before, so this should be cake with hardened steel punches right? NOPE! Bravo, S&W, bravo.

It's all good, because that give me some more time to cold blue the extractor, since it doesn't have any finish on it and wouldn't even come close to matching the slide. :n00b:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm embarrassed to ask this, but here goes.

I finally got around to cleaning the M&P, b/c I plan on shooting it tomorrow.
    I wanted to clean the extractor, and, well, I've no idea which part it is!

Which one is it?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    all I shoot through my M&P(and all my other pistols) is federal from wal mart. well over 1k rounds and have never had a hiccup with it, I guess I'm lucky?

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    35dfbbe0.jpg

this is the new Apex Extractor as an example what it looks like

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Ive got an M&P9c, its a pretty early one, and Ive had no problems. I have heard there were issues and I dont want any problems. I understand the APEX parts are the answer. What parts are reccomended, and about how much would they cost?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I cleaned the extractor today using a toothbrush and CLP.
    Brought it to the range, and put another 200 rounds thru it. Didn't have one FTE.
    So I'm hoping it doesn't happen again. But I went ahead and cleaned it when I got home, took the toothbrush against the extractor again.

And I plan on shooting it again next weekend. I'd like to run another couple hundred rounds thru it before I start making it my EDC. I just feel more comfortable that way.

b7a852da.jpg
    [/IMG]

Top Bottom