• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kilo11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Avon,IN
    Well, I'm looking to get an M&P 9mmFS or a G19. I have been running Glocks for about 7 years and the grip angle and size are just getting on my nerves. I shoot a lot of 1911 too, so that probably has something to do with it. I'm wondering if anyone else has made the transition from Glock to M&P or 1911 to M&P and if so, how did it work out for you? Even if you went the other way around, why did you ditch the M&P for a Glock?

I'll be using the gun for an all around gun for training, competition, and carry. I'm also not getting rid of my 1911's either. Thoughts?

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I sold my Glocks and kept my M&Ps. Comes down to personal preference. Both are reliable. I prefer the M&P ergonomics and always felt like I shot better with the M&P.

That said, nothing shoots like a 1911.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I started with a S&W Sigma 9VE and moved onto a Glock 26 and then added a Gen4 17. I bought an M&P 45 on a whim. I think I like the G17 the best; it seems more natural in my hand. I will say I do not care for the M&P trigger at all, though I have not done any mods to it.

Ultimately I have decided to carry my 1911 because I shoot it the best of any of them. I would recommend buying whichever fits your hand better. I know that the Gen 4 Glocks aren't very popular, but the grip texture and adjustable backstraps are enough for me to avoid the Gen 3s. ymmv

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I sold my Glocks and kept my M&Ps. Comes down to personal preference. Both are reliable. I prefer the M&P ergonomics and always felt like I shot better with the M&P.

Agree with eveything here except the last statement and only because I don't have a S&W M&P. The M&P has the best ergonomics of any pistol I have ever held, but I am just accustomed to Glocks. An APEX trigger set does wonders for the M&P!

When asked for recommendations on semi-auto handguns, I tell people to start by looking at Glocks and M&Ps. If you find something you like, you're done. Otherwise, keep looking--Sprigfield XD, some Sigs, Berreta, H&K (expensive!), Ruger, etc.

Not sure, but I suspect Smith & Wesson is trying to reclaim some of the market share it once enjoyed with the model 10 M&P .38 special revolver. We will all benefit from Smith giving Glock a run for its money!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Personal preference.. I like Glocks and 1911s and seem to be able to work with either equally well. I usually carry a 1911 only because the CT grips for a Glock change the feel of the pistol enough that it feels a bit uncomfortable compared to a 1911.

Certified Glock Armorer

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I like both of them and go back and forth. I keep going back to Glock for three reasons. I can replace any part on a Glock easily with just a couple tools, the trigger on the Glock feels better to me, and despite how many feel the grip works or me.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    Glocks and 1911's both work for me, just went shooting last week and had no problem switching between them. The biggest thing for me has become trigger pull for any gun; the glocks pull is short and has a really short reset which makes repeat shots faster. I used to hate glocks and now love them because of their stock trigger. That and the lower bore axis are reasons why I would choose Glock over m&p.

AXE835

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    East central Indiana

That said, nothing shoots like a 1911.

:noway:NO TO BLOCKS!:noway: have to use one at work and hate it. Got an XD in 9mm and a 1911A-1 in .45 of course.:rockwoot: Next purchase will be a M&P in .45. Ergonomics sold me on S&W. :twocents:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You really can't go wrong with either one. I tried the M&P9c, I did like it a lot, but I always went back to my Glock 19.

I sold the M&P and bought a Glock 26. And couldn't be happier.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    :noway:NO TO BLOCKS!:noway: have to use one at work and hate it. Got an XD in 9mm and a 1911A-1 in .45 of course.:rockwoot: Next purchase will be a M&P in .45. Ergonomics sold me on S&W. :twocents:

:rolleyes:

To the OP...it really all comes down to which one you find more comfortable...and which trigger pull you like better (although both can be modified). You can't go wrong with either one.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    To the OP...it really all comes down to which one you find more comfortable...and which trigger pull you like better (although both can be modified). You can't go wrong with either one.
    This is wisdom.

I am a Glock fan. Love my 1911s, too. I have shot the M&P9 and while it felt good I didn't care for the stock trigger. Seriously, which one feels more natural to you is a win. Glock vs. M&P vs. XD is just one person's preferences over another. I say Glock is best, but that only applies to me.

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Take a look at the Ruger sr9 or sr9c safety just like a 1911 and the ergo's are better than both glock or m&p for me. Mine has been 100% right out of the gate.

AXE835

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    East central Indiana
    :rolleyes:

Like I said "Have to use one at work and hate it" :soapbox:He asked for opinions and I gave a somewhat of a bised one,but a working one. If I could I would carry my 1911A-1 at work. Why would most scout/sniper,spec ops groups take some version of a 1911 with them and not a "Block"? :patriot:

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I have both and it really depends on what YOU like. I like the texture of the M&P grip and the mag release vs my Gen 3. The Glock I like the trigger, durability and parts availability cannot be beat. Grip angle means nothing to me, just line up the sights on the target and squeeze the trigger. I honestly don't understand why people fuss so much about grip angle.
    You just cannot go wrong with either include the XD in this as well.

TR1032

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Johnson County
    I have one of each, and they both shoot about the same for me. I keep going back to the Glock mostly because I have a better holster for it that makes it more comfortable to carry.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    Well, I'm looking to get an M&P 9mmFS or a G19. I have been running Glocks for about 7 years and the grip angle and size are just getting on my nerves. I shoot a lot of 1911 too, so that probably has something to do with it. I'm wondering if anyone else has made the transition from Glock to M&P or 1911 to M&P and if so, how did it work out for you? Even if you went the other way around, why did you ditch the M&P for a Glock?

I'll be using the gun for an all around gun for training, competition, and carry. I'm also not getting rid of my 1911's either. Thoughts?

I traded in my Glock 22 and G19 a while back. Loved both of them. However, once while shooting my G19 a guy next to me offered me his XDm to tryout. What a difference! Much more accurate shooter for me. I planned to buy another glock but after that experience I opened mind to options. Ended up with a FNP40 and a M&P9c. Glad I did.

Top Bottom