• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    The shield has a small grip, for sure.
    I suggest Talon grips/grip tape.
    My slide release is impossibly stiff too, i generally "slingshot " slide to load it.
    Ive gotten used to these things and overall like the shield for its size and weight

I am going to be traveling pass Calbels and Bass Pro Wed. 01-02-2019.
    do they sell the grips/tape? Grips/grip tape, one in the same or two different items?

1 Day Ago #19
    Sling10mm
    user-offline.png

Expert
    reputation_green.gif

Join DateMar 2012Posts1,043

So is the grip length too short, or the circumference too small, or both?

Circumference. The standard mag is OK. The extended is better.

The grip seats in-between, Finger tip knuckle is (1), 2nd and third knuckle. Just short of the 2nd knuckle joint.

BioCrypto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2018
    Columbia City
    I see a few have said the hogue rubber beaver tail grip and I agree. It gives the grip some girth and helps fill the hand without adding a noticeable hinder to the concealment of the grip when carrying. I cut the beaver tail part off so I can still get a high purchase though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    My first shield I owned I had a hard time with the mag release and accidentally pushing the button as I’m left handed and leave the release right. I would shoot a few times and have the mag dropped enough to not fire the next round. I sold it, a few months later I bought another because I thought my grip was off cant, nope, again, same thing. Just never was confident enough to own another one. Always hear great things about them. I do own a 2.0C with no issues.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The grip texture on the 2.0 series of M&P pistols (all of them) is wonderfully aggressive, but not overly aggressive (to me).

My 1.0 Shield could definitely benefit from the 2.0 texture. I'm above average in height and I have a hand size proportional to the rest of me. I do not find the Shield grip to be too small - unless I have the 7 rd magazine in the pistol. I cannot get a good grip on it without the 8 rd mag installed. Mind you, I can still shoot it with the small mag, but not nearly as well nor as quickly.

greed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Practice, practice, practice

We do not buy small guns because they feel good in the hand. We buy small guns because they are easier to conceal. If you practice, all the things that are hard to do will become easier and you will shoot better.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I picked up the Hogue handall beavertqil Grip sleeve S&W, M&P 9mm & 40 Shield Ruger LC9 sleeve.
    When I attempted to put it on. The sleeve is just over 1/2 the size o the M&P grip.
    What did you use to slip it over the grip and up that very texture surface?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Soften the handall grip in super hot water for a minute or so. Remove it, dry it quickly, then install it while it's still warm.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I just ran into another slight problem with my M&P.
    I was checking the extra extended mag. I just purchased.
    Some of them would not seat easy.
    I had to really slap them in place.
    I removed the extender. I used my grinder to remove a bit from the bottom.
    Now they all seat quickly and easily.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What tool did you use too stretch the grip.
    Then get it to move all the way up in place.

I don't know about a tool, but once you've softened the sleeve in the hot water as TF suggested, you could also try using some rubbing alcohol as a "lube" to help it slide up into place. The alcohol will evaporate fairly quickly, so no worries about it staying "wet" under the sleeve.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Getting a grip sleeve on over top of the 2.0 texturing would be a bear.

Agreed. Last grip sleeve I put on was for a Gen 2 Glock 21 (no finger grooves) and I used some baby powder then to help it slip on. Getting on one on a 2.0 Smith would be interesting.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've not ever installed a handall on any firearm. let alone a 2.0 textured M&P Shield. But that's a handy technique that I've read about multiple times across several different firearms-related message boards in the last 15 or so years I've been active on firearms-related message boards.

As far as getting mags into the gun: MY experience with MY 1.0 Shield is that fully loaded mags into a gun with the slide closed is indeed a chore. Gotta want it. Those are seemingly some stiff mag springs in those mag bodies. And getting that top round to compress just a MM or 2 further in order to fully seat the mag can indeed take some effort.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I've not ever installed a handall on any firearm. let alone a 2.0 textured M&P Shield. But that's a handy technique that I've read about multiple times across several different firearms-related message boards in the last 15 or so years I've been active on firearms-related message boards.

As far as getting mags into the gun: MY experience with MY 1.0 Shield is that fully loaded mags into a gun with the slide closed is indeed a chore. Gotta want it. Those are seemingly some stiff mag springs in those mag bodies. And getting that top round to compress just a MM or 2 further in order to fully seat the mag can indeed take some effort.

Once I slightly touched up the plastic Mag extension on the grinding wheel.
    All the loaded and unloaded mags seated instantly.
    I have not fired the shield yet. I will be at Blyies next week.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Once I slightly touched up the plastic Mag extension on the grinding wheel.
    All the loaded and unloaded mags seated instantly.
    I have not fired the shield yet. I will be at Blyies next week.

I have shot the shield at Blyth's.
    The mags I touched up on the grinding wheel seated easy.
    I found one that I did not. It needed a bit more off.
    Once touched up. Seated just as fast and easy.

It did not take very much off to seat properly.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Can you make a YT video showing the process? That would be awesome!

NO it is a very simple process.
    The extension easily slips off the mag.
    I just placed a reference marker tape on the top of the extension.
    Then I lightly pressed the bottom against the spinning grinding wheel.
    I trial fit the extension until the mag locked easily.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    If you're still trying to install that Hogue grip, I boiled mine for about a minute and got it nice and pliable. After that it was just brute strength. It's a bear but it does work.

Top Bottom